cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The garbage is getting deep, Ebay.

And it doesn't even look sexy.

Probably 75% -- maybe a lot more -- of the hoops Ebay forces sellers to jump through and 98% of all the busy-work and really eye-bullying pages, links and assorted garbage is unnecessary.

One has to wonder if Ebay feels insecure under the crtitical importance of its sellers that keep it afloat, and this is Ebay's way of asserting "author-o-tay". That's a question.

Every time Ebay says they're improving efficiency with "brand new looks!", they are actually destroying it. It belies an apparent lack of objective. Profits never increase when efficiency decreases. You don't have to be an MBA to realize this.

Does anyone have a clue what Ebay is trying to do?

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

@tiktakyak wrote:

Yes, they are trying to copy Amazon in pretty much every category of their business, minus the original ideas and innovation.

Message 2 of 63
latest reply

@tiktakyak wrote:

Every time Ebay says they're improving efficiency with "brand new looks!", they are actually destroying it. It belies an apparent lack of objective. Profits never increase when efficiency decreases. You don't have to be an MBA to realize this.

Could you be more specifc?  What pages have you showing anger?

Most of the page layouts are because a majority of users now do shopping from mobile devices, so these visual changes and the dumb down processes, centering of everything is because of the way buyers and sellers are using the site. 

Good Luck Selling!

Message 3 of 63
latest reply

i think ebay is frustrated because of it's need for buyers and sellers to make money kinda like HAL was frustrated 2001 A Space Odyssey by it's need for humans to carry out it's diabolical actions.
They would rather just make money and not have buyers and sellers.
Message 4 of 63
latest reply

The majority of users do not use mobile apps to trade on ebay. This is because, unlike you, they are not "trendy" and really don't think you're telling the truth. Perhaps you can back that up.

Message 5 of 63
latest reply

@tiktakyak wrote:

The majority of users do not use mobile apps to trade on ebay.

Perhaps you can back that up.

Message 6 of 63
latest reply

@tiktakyak wrote:

The majority of users do not use mobile apps to trade on ebay. This is because, unlike you, they are not "trendy" and really don't think you're telling the truth. Perhaps you can back that up.

If I give you a link will you stop the name calling and disparaging remarks?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 7 of 63
latest reply

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 8 of 63
latest reply

As near as I can tell, eBay has become desperate to show gains every quarter to the stock holders--long term goals have been tossed by the wayside, and all that seems to matter anymore are the money grabs that we see implemented with every new Seller Update. Insiders, such as eBay employees have even written about this very fact on chat boards--and it should be clear to anyone who sells here that long-term goals and worrying about the future of this company, are absolutely not a priority to the bosses who are currently in charge.

Loyalty doesn't matter, good customer service doesn't matter, and if you are a "small" seller your livelihood here certainly doesn't matter anymore. Corporate greed is all that matters here anymore. I sell clothing, and I have a 2.4% return rate--and even though probably only .3% are legitimate SNAD issues (I am human and sometimes make mistakes--not to mention eBay GLITCHES that cause problems ALL the time) I will FOR SURE be paying that extra 4%. SO--my long term goals are to explore other options, which I started doing last year--if eBay was concerned about keeping me and millions of other "small" sellers there is no way they would even think about implementing such a heinous money grab. The really horrific part is the BLATANT trickery with which they are going about this--asking sellers to offer free returns, and then when the sellers return percentage goes up (because it CERTAINLY will)--tacking on another 4%--as a punishment for complying with their wishes. Shameful.

As far as the re-designed pages, that actually are more clunky and user un-friendly to use--I honestly have NO idea. It takes forever to do anything on here--and listing has become such an incredible headache. It takes me twice as long to list anything on here, and then, of course, there is always busy work added on top of that. To this day, my listings WON'T stay mobile compliant--and half the time they are also exceeding the width of the page--so unless I want to go back in and edit every one of them individually, what am I to do? It is a constant ordeal of back peddling here, double checking, and busy work. You are absolutely right--and your theory as to the psychology behind all this-- that maybe they are intimidated and resent their reliance upon us--well, that's as good as any I have heard. 

Every day it gets more stressful around here--to what end, I don't know. I think they simply want us gone. For whatever reason they want to be the ultimate "copycat" site--Alibaba and AZ combined. Why they can't do both, I have no idea--seems strange to cut off a limb that is working, and to hope that the new one you are growing functions just as well. 

For what it's worth, you are definitely not alone in your frustration and also your head-scratching as to what's up. Look at this week if you want a good example of how screwy everything is. We got a new log-in page--which is uninspired, doesn't work very well (All my ID's are scrunched in the box, and it certainly doesn't save me any time) and they are asking if we want to sign in with Facebook. Facebook--who just got caught selling data and has had to issue a MASSIVE apology to the entire world. OK.......meanwhile, there is a MAJOR glitch in the "Sell Similar" feature that WILL NOT change the price of your "new" or similar item that you are attempting to sell--not even when you go back in and EDIT it. Ummmm.....hello--this is costing sellers TONS of money, and will only result in even MORE buyer and seller dissatisfaction. It's a HUGE problem--but have you gotten any emails from eBay informing you of this MAJOR issue? I haven't. Just unbelievable. The incompetence is mind-boggling, I totally agree.

Message 9 of 63
latest reply

@tiktakyak wrote:

"eBay said so."

@tiktakyak wrote:

Well... eBay provides me some statistics (or they used to) with my "Seller Newsletter".  That was always less than 20% use mobile, often not even 10%. 

They've provided some broader data in the past... it was greater than 50%... but that was "touched" by mobile.  So, if they used mobile at any step in the process (they bought the item, OR they paid for the item, OR they placed a bid on something they found earlier not on mobile, OR they left f/b using mobile), it got counted as "mobile".   Other data has come from third party "polling", which likely has some confirmation bias built in... "Do you use mobile for ecommerce shopping?"  Y/N.  (You know... I did look at that 'Jesus Toast' listing I saw on Instagram while I was stuck in the airport last Feb.... "Yes"). 

I don't dispute mobile is important, or is likely the majority for all ecommerce (many of the new selling platforms are mobile only).  I'm not sure it's "majority" on eBay, and it's not "majority" for what I sell by a long shot. 

It doesn't matter though.  A Fortune 500 cutting-edge tech giant should work correctly on both, period.  The irony is that whatever they've done to web pages to accomodate it hasn't worked well.  The major glitches on eBay are on mobile (Free Shipping when it's not, etc.).  I last tried to use it months ago, to send out weekly invoices, it wouldn't even work for that. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 10 of 63
latest reply

...and your theory as to the psychology behind all this-- that maybe they are intimidated and resent their reliance upon us--well, that's as good as any I have heard. 

I still suspect they just don't know what they're doing or how to do it correctly.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 11 of 63
latest reply

> The really horrific part is the BLATANT trickery with which they are going about this--asking sellers to offer free returns, and then when the sellers return percentage goes up (because it CERTAINLY will)--tacking on another 4%--as a punishment for complying with their wishes. Shameful.

I thought the exact same thing for months now. You do what they want, and they are still mad at you. Reminds me of my mom.

Message 12 of 63
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

@tiktakyak wrote:

They've provided some broader data in the past... it was greater than 50%... but that was "touched" by mobile.  So, if they used mobile at any step in the process (they bought the item, OR they paid for the item, OR they placed a bid on something they found earlier not on mobile, OR they left f/b using mobile), it got counted as "mobile".  

That’s exactly the way I buy at the “River”. (Not eBay, because I HATE their app with a passion, their “in your face marketing & ads are a REAL turn off). I use the River’s app (like at the doctor’s office, or the lab or anywhere I’ve got down time) to surf the site, placing items that interest me into my List, sometimes multiples of the same item, different manufacturers, and then when I get home, I decide and actually make a purchase ... sometimes.

Did I use the mobile app to BUY something? The answer is a resounding NO. And if eBay is counting research or just “plain killing time” as a purchase, they’re fooling themselves.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 13 of 63
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

@tiktakyak wrote:

"eBay said so."

@tiktakyak wrote:

Well... eBay provides me some statistics (or they used to) with my "Seller Newsletter".  That was always less than 20% use mobile, often not even 10%. 

They've provided some broader data in the past... it was greater than 50%... but that was "touched" by mobile.  So, if they used mobile at any step in the process (they bought the item, OR they paid for the item, OR they placed a bid on something they found earlier not on mobile, OR they left f/b using mobile), it got counted as "mobile".   Other data has come from third party "polling", which likely has some confirmation bias built in... "Do you use mobile for ecommerce shopping?"  Y/N.  (You know... I did look at that 'Jesus Toast' listing I saw on Instagram while I was stuck in the airport last Feb.... "Yes"). 

I don't dispute mobile is important, or is likely the majority for all ecommerce (many of the new selling platforms are mobile only).  I'm not sure it's "majority" on eBay, and it's not "majority" for what I sell by a long shot. 

• Slightly more than half of all revenue are from mobile sources
  • 63% have mobile touchpoints
  • 414 Million eBay app downloads with 175 Million active registered accounts worldwide (more than two per account).
  • 13.5 Million new listing submitted each week from mobile devices (up from 10 Million 2 years ago)

These next stats are interesting.  These are sold stats not listed stats.

• 71% of all transactions have free shipping
  • 80% of all items sold on eBay are new condition items
  • 60% of all revenue is international
  • 89% of all sold listings are Fixed Price 

https://investors.ebayinc.com/fast-facts/default.aspx

The US market represents less than half the revenue for eBay.  eBay has clearly become a true international company, and changes we think are not right might be overall for the growth areas of the company (international).  I am sure the international users thing some things are backwards as well.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 14 of 63
latest reply

Yes, they are trying to copy Amazon in pretty much every category of their business, minus the original ideas and innovation.

You do realize most of the drop shippers selling items with stock photos with free 2 day shipping are listing amazon prime items for amazon on ebay for a slightly higher price than on amazon. The brand new cloths, shoes, and toys that Ebay pushes in their did you check Ebay are new items being sold on Ebay for amazon by sellers pretending to have the items on hand.

The guarantied delivery door to door shipping program is designed to give these sellers a unfair advantage of having their listings placed better than other sellers. Plus the sellers who sell used items and try to participate eventually will have handle time issues due to the post office delivering the items at a different time line than ebay told the buyers. This will cause them to take defects and lose money to the refunded shipping cost they become responsible for. The worst part is the post office does not guarantee the delivery of any thin other than over night or next day. They say there can always be delays and the time frames provided with the labels are just estimates. This program gives a unfair advantage to drop shippers while slowly pushing the competitors out the door usually individuals selling used items that are in categories competing with the drop shippers for sales.

The tag line, "Did you remember to check Ebay" turns into yes I did but when it came in a Amazon prime box I realized after a few purchases I could go elsewhere and get the same item for less.

It is not really a sustainable business plan when you bring new users in just for them to realize they are over paying and should do some basic web searches and compare prices before they buy.

Message 15 of 63
latest reply