cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRS Promoted Listings Credit Going Away? Weekly Chat Follow Up

I wanted to start a topic here as a reminder and way to keep tabs on this issue that was brought up by @my-cottage-books-and-antiques  in the weekly chat on October 21st.  https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-October-21-1-00-pm-PT-Gener... 

The eBay for Business Podcast transcript from October 20th seems to indicate the TRS Quarterly Promoted Listings Credit is going away at the end of 2020. eBay Head of North America Advertising Scott Kelliher said:

PL-11-3.png

Many of us were alarmed when we saw this section of the Fall Seller Update that seemed to also indicate that Promoted Listings Credits were going away.

PLcredit.jpg

When we asked for clarification, we were told that was a "mistake" and should be disregarded.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Listing-Promoting-Items/Promoted-Listings-Credit-Removal-2020-Fall-Sel...

It has been two weeks now since this was brought up in the chat and we still don't have a clear, direct, definitive answer as to whether or not the TRS Promoted Listings Quarterly Credits are being discontinued after Q4.  It also leaves open the question as to whether he was speaking only of the TRS credit, or if the additional quarterly credits for Anchor & Enterprise level store subscribers are also "going to end."

tyler@ebay  brian@ebay brittanie@ebay @podcast_team   - What exactly did Mr. Kelliher mean and why are sellers being left in the dark here?

If it is eBay's intention to discontinue this benefit, that needs to be communicated to sellers clearly, directly and in a timely manner through official communications channels.

Changes like this are far too important to be the kind of thing you would only find out if you listened to the podcast or happened to be in the weekly chat when it was brought up.

We need answers now, as it may affect sellers' Promoted Listings strategies and decision making for Q4 and beyond.

If the additional credits for Anchor & Enterprise store subscribers are also ending, that needs to be made clear ASAP as well.  That credit may be a factor sellers take into consideration when assessing the "value" of those store subscriptions and whether or not the benefits are worth the cost.  If that credit is taken away, that would be a material change in the terms of those store subscriptions.

Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

It occurs to me that if eBay does away with Promoted Listings Credits completely, that effectively gets rid of any logistical reasons for them to have to bill the PL fees on the monthly invoice.

It could allow eBay to take the ad fee immediately at the time of sale, at least for those in Managed Payments, like they are doing with Final Value Fees.  🤔

Message 16 of 92
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

It occurs to me that if eBay does away with Promoted Listings Credits completely, that effectively gets rid of any logistical reasons for them to have to bill the PL fees on the monthly invoice.

It could allow eBay to take the ad fee immediately at the time of sale, at least for those in Managed Payments, like they are doing with Final Value Fees.  🤔

You are correct, I had not thought about that.  The PL fees and insertion fees already show up under MP tab in Seller Hub as Expenses even though those fees are invoiced.   It does make it look like eBay is is all set to take the PL fees at the time of the sale and maybe insertion fees, too.

Message 17 of 92
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

You are correct, I had not thought about that.  The PL fees and insertion fees already show up under MP tab in Seller Hub as Expenses even though those fees are invoiced.   It does make it look like eBay is is all set to take the PL fees at the time of the sale and maybe insertion fees, too.

@mcdougle4248  - my money is on that being the eventual goal here for eBay, especially when you look at the bigger picture of Promoted Listings over the last quarter or so.

Q3 saw eBay tweaking some things in PL like "suggested" rates rather than "trending" rates and we saw sellers reporting seeing odd drops in PL impressions that were only remedied by increasing their PL ad rates, effectively having to pay more to achieve the same performance.  That would seem to suggest eBay may have changed some things in the algorithms for the PL program to intentionally drive average ad rates up.

The Q3 financial reports showed substantial growth in PL revenue, presumably at least due in part to those tweaks and changes.

It's hard not to think the next logical step is that eBay would want to get their hands on that increased revenue immediately instead of once a month.

It will be disappointing, but not surprising, if eBay deems it acceptable to pull the rug out from under sellers by taking away this benefit to achieve that goal.

Message 18 of 92
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@mcdougle4248  - my money is on that being the eventual goal here for eBay, especially when you look at the bigger picture of Promoted Listings over the last quarter or so.

Q3 saw eBay tweaking some things in PL like "suggested" rates rather than "trending" rates and we saw sellers reporting seeing odd drops in PL impressions that were only remedied by increasing their PL ad rates, effectively having to pay more to achieve the same performance.  That would seem to suggest eBay may have changed some things in the algorithms for the PL program to intentionally drive average ad rates up.

The Q3 financial reports showed substantial growth in PL revenue, presumably at least due in part to those tweaks and changes.

It's hard not to think the next logical step is that eBay would want to get their hands on that increased revenue immediately instead of once a month.

It will be disappointing, but not surprising, if eBay deems it acceptable to pull the rug out from under sellers by taking away this benefit to achieve that goal.

Well, I hope eBay will let us know sooner rather than later if this is in fact the last quarter we will see the fee credits.  Dang, I really hate the thought of raising my prices AGAIN 😩  31% of my sales so far this year came from PL, so not sure if I can just stop promoting at this point.

Message 19 of 92
latest reply

I can't speak for anybody else of course, but I'm in MP.

For me, my PL fees are being deducted from the MP payment right along with the simplified FVF and $0.30 fixed fee. It shows up under MP Expenses as the line item titled 'Ad fee'. Small print clarifies the sale price and the PL percentage amount for that sale.

The PL credit actually put my Nov 1st invoice at less than my store fee. My Nov 1st invoice was well under $20 for my basic store.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 20 of 92
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

For me, my PL fees are being deducted from the payment right along with the simplified FVF and $0.30 fixed fee. It shows up under MP Expenses as the line item titled 'Ad fee'. Small print clarifies the sale price and the PL percentage amount charged for that sale.

The PL credit actually put my Nov 1st invoice at less than my store fee. My Nov 1st invoice was under $20 for my basic store.

@moo*cow*corner  - I believe that is what @mcdougle4248 was talking about.

The ad fees are listed under the "expenses" tab in Managed Payments, but as far as I have experienced, those amounts are not being deducted up front before the funds move to Available for Payout.  We are still seeing the Ad Fees paid on the monthly invoice.

Is the Expenses tab where you are looking? Are you seeing those amounts actually being deducted from the transaction before payout if you look at the transaction or payout reports?

Message 21 of 92
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

For me, my PL fees are being deducted from the payment right along with the simplified FVF and $0.30 fixed fee. It shows up under MP Expenses as the line item titled 'Ad fee'. Small print clarifies the sale price and the PL percentage amount charged for that sale.

The PL credit actually put my Nov 1st invoice at less than my store fee. My Nov 1st invoice was under $20 for my basic store.

@moo*cow*corner  - I believe that is what @mcdougle4248 was talking about.

The ad fees are listed under the "expenses" tab in Managed Payments, but as far as I have experienced, those amounts are not being deducted up front before the funds move to Available for Payout.  We are still seeing the Ad Fees paid on the monthly invoice.

Is the Expenses tab where you are looking? Are you seeing those amounts actually being deducted from the transaction before payout if you look at the transaction or payout reports?

Yes, in my previous post I was referring to the PL fees showing under Expenses under the MP tab.  I just checked to be sure and my PL fees from today are already showing on my invoice.  Screenshot of my invoice below:

PL FEES.PNG

Message 22 of 92
latest reply

That's what I'm seeing, too.

If you look at the newly designed invoice, the symbol of a checkmark in a circle indicates the fees and credits that were deducted/applied at the time of payment processing. Promoted listing fees are not billed until the monthly invoice. That said- it's an "extra" fee, just like a listing upgrade. Listing upgrades like reserves, gallery plus, bold title, etc aren't billed until the monthly invoice.

Maybe it's just me- but I don't see billing as a reason eBay would end the credit. They could easily take the fee at the time of sale if they wanted and process credits later.

If eBay ends the credit it's because they've promoted it enough to get enough sellers hooked on the results so they know they can end it and a lot of sellers will keep going with it. Additional revenue stream.

Message 23 of 92
latest reply

That's an interesting thought too @coffeebean832 .  I agree that billing wouldn't necessarily have to be the reason and I think there are definitely ways they could get around that if it is an obstacle.  Like you said, they could figure out a way to process the credits later.

My thinking on this is coming mostly from this section of the Promoted Listings FAQ:

Screenshot 2020-11-06 163932-2.jpg

It's seem pretty clear from that page that the way eBay has programed/structured the actual application of this credit is tied in various ways to monthly invoice billing. 

Could eBay change the structure/application of the program to still provide this benefit while also allowing them to collect the fee at time of sale? I think there are ways they could make that happen.  Would they do it? I honestly don't know.

Of course this is all just conjecture on my part and should be taken with a huge grain of salt.  It could be as simple as they just want that extra $30 a quarter and they are betting sellers will go for it.  Or it could be even more simple if it truly is a "mistake" and the credit isn't going anywhere.  We won't know for sure until eBay gives us an answer.

Message 24 of 92
latest reply

Tagging back in--

To be honest, I haven't reconciled much since I got shoved into MP at the end of August. It's supposed to be my traditional busy season right now, and I don't normally do the deep number crunches until after the holidays and for tax prep.

I'm not super familiar with the new invoice design yet either and what I  have looked at so far has done nothing but give me massive headaches. If I made a boo-boo with my above post, I sincerely apologize. I'm more than willing to be wrong.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 25 of 92
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

"We won't know for sure until eBay gives us an answer."  

Ah yes, once again waiting on communication from eBay 🤔

Message 26 of 92
latest reply

It's taking time because they're not ready to announce it yet so they're scrambling to get an official announcement ready or something to that effect. Someone goofed and let the cat out of the bag too early- it was supposed to stay in there through the holidays.

(This post is pure speculation.)

Message 27 of 92
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

It's taking time because they're not ready to announce it yet so they're scrambling to get an official announcement ready or something to that effect. Someone goofed and let the cat out of the bag too early- it was supposed to stay in there through the holidays.

Or like many other changes, they don't intend on addressing it at all.  There have been recent changes to the MBG and to TRS discounts, neither of which were announced.  Both important changes.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 28 of 92
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

Tagging back in--

To be honest, I haven't reconciled much since I got shoved into MP at the end of August. It's supposed to be my traditional busy season right now, and I don't normally do the deep number crunches until after the holidays and for tax prep.

I'm not super familiar with the new invoice design yet either and what I  have looked at so far has done nothing but give me massive headaches. If I made a boo-boo with my above post, I sincerely apologize. I'm more than willing to be wrong.

@moo*cow*corner  - no worries. Managed Payments has been a huge change and it's not uncommon to hear sellers say they are having different experiences with it than others.  Sometimes those are real differences and sometimes it is  a misunderstanding - which is totally understandable given the confusing mess that MP can be at times. 😉  

Whenever you do have time to come up for air and do that deeper number crunch, please do start a post in the payments section if you find that they have been taking your PL fees off the top prior to payouts.

I think it is most likely just the confusing way they are showing those fees under expenses, but I don't want to discount that you could be seeing/experiencing something different than the rest of us as well.  If that ends up being the case, I know other sellers would appreciate hearing about it and would be willing to try to help you in figuring it out as well.

Good luck with your busy season! 👍

Message 29 of 92
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@coffeebean832  - I think that is likely, but if so - geez this has to be embarrassing for eBay.

The "oopsie" in the Fall Update is one thing but to then have the Head of North American Advertising make that kind of goof on a publicly available recorded podcast....well I guess it's everything I've come to expect of eBay execution. 🤣

Message 30 of 92
latest reply