cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRS Doesn't Seem To BE THE RAGE THESE DAY'S

Challenging times these day's new trendy wave about face direction...lower selling benefits more hoops to jump and reach that yellow star of TRS.  Just searching around this morning and have noticed that many items ratio more NOT having TRS in their listings and store like BHFO not even showing anything to do with TRS...is this fading out and we don't know it yet?

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: TRS Doesn't Seem To BE THE RAGE THESE DAY'S

@z50com wrote:

eBay rose the bar so high that now I can just walk under it.

I'm done jumping, I'm getting too old for this, I want to retire someday. . .

Hummer in the madness...when you said ebay rose the bar so high that now I can just walk under it...!

Message 31 of 43
latest reply

I am a small seller.  

TRS + benefits have not been something that I care about. Sure it would have been nice to get a little kickback on fees, but never worth the shipping time/return policy.

I did get it once as a buyer did not want to buy an item if it might not work. They apparently did not understand the MBG, or SNAD policies. As I knew the item was 100% "as listed" I went ahead and added the return policy. (14 day at that time) Buyer purchased the item.  I got my little perk.

At this point I have gone to 2 day handling with my already existing "no returns" policy.  I know, no such things as "no returns"slight_smile

My reasoning for the switch to "2 day handling" is the lowering of the ship/scan standard to 95%. Being on the east coast requires same day for items paid by 2:59AM when I have 1 day handling. That, and USPS scanning/update failures have prompted me to do that. I do not need to fall to "above standard", or worse.

Message 32 of 43
latest reply

@pinkrose442 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@doubledz-a2z wrote:

I have been powerseller/TRS since they started those programs just by offering common sense customer service.  But once they made the announcement that TRS drops to 10% I revised all my listings (which are not very many anymore) and offer No Returns, buyers pay for shipping.  I am weaning myself off ebay altogether except for an occasional item that will sell here.  Flea markets for me are the way to go.     I have been here selling since 2/98.   The email yesterday telling sellers to get a boost in sales by offering to pay for return shipping and offering 60 day returns aint gonna happen with me.  Good luck to all the newbie sellers who buy from me at the swap meet to list on ebay.

Ditto. I've jumped through all the other hoops, and this is where I draw the line.  Nobody needs 60 days to decide whether they want to keep something or not...especially a used item like a Pyrex bowl.  Once they started their "pay to play" with promoted listings--which still aren't even fully rolled out for individual items for which we were promised a $30 quarterly to use for that purpose--and the "Deals and Savings" filter that can be used for search, TRS+ doesn't mean diddly-squat, financially or from a visibility perspective.

Anyone want to take bets that once they get sellers hooked with that $30 quarterly to use for promoted listings, how long it will be before that becomes $15?  They'll do just what they did with the TRS discount.

No more hoops. 

Are you predicting something here?

Sure am.  What I'm "predicting" is that no one should count on that $30  per quarter towards promoted listings.  They will lower it or take it back, just like they did with the TRS discount they cut down to 10%. 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 33 of 43
latest reply

Just to let everyone know how I see promoted listings as being shown--I was looking something up yesterday on my phone and the same item kept showing up every 20-30 listings. It was "sponsored" it was a small seller's listing, a used item. It was just annoying. If I wanted that item I would obviously have clicked on it the first time I saw it. It was basically working the same way Etsy does,  shoving that item in your face every so many listings. 

Message 34 of 43
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I am a small seller.  

TRS + benefits have not been something that I care about. Sure it would have been nice to get a little kickback on fees, but never worth the shipping time/return policy.

I did get it once as a buyer did not want to buy an item if it might not work. They apparently did not understand the MBG, or SNAD policies. As I knew the item was 100% "as listed" I went ahead and added the return policy. (14 day at that time) Buyer purchased the item.  I got my little perk.

At this point I have gone to 2 day handling with my already existing "no returns" policy.  I know, no such things as "no returns"slight_smile

My reasoning for the switch to "2 day handling" is the lowering of the ship/scan standard to 95%. Being on the east coast requires same day for items paid by 2:59AM when I have 1 day handling. That, and USPS scanning/update failures have prompted me to do that. I do not need to fall to "above standard", or worse.

So as Martha would say It's a good thing...we should all go for the 2 day shipping?

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

llllady wrote:
What I'm "predicting" is that no one should count on that $30  per quarter towards promoted listings.  They will lower it or take it back, just like they did with the TRS discount they cut down to 10%. 

I remember when the candy bar I could buy for 5¢ was cut down in size too.  AND over time, they raised the price I had to pay for it.  I HATE when prices/sizes/perks don't stay the same as the years go by!   Smiley Wink

My prediction is that weeding down the size of the TRS crowd, and cutting back on the TRS discount given, will only hold the $$$ fort for so long, and the next step will be the actual increase in fees. 

Message 36 of 43
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

@llllady wrote:
What I'm "predicting" is that no one should count on that $30  per quarter towards promoted listings.  They will lower it or take it back, just like they did with the TRS discount they cut down to 10%. 

I remember when the candy bar I could buy for 5¢ was cut down in size too.  AND over time, they raised the price I had to pay for it.  I HATE when prices/sizes/perks don't stay the same as the years go by!   Smiley Wink

My prediction is that weeding down the size of the TRS crowd, and cutting back on the TRS discount given, will only hold the $$$ fort for so long, and the next step will be the actual increase in fees. 

You are suggesting on top of all these's new trendy wave niche's there will be a increase in FEE'S up ahead...#%***

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

10% is too low of a savings to make it worth to sellers, you will have increased returns and stress for a meager 10%, 

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

@pinkrose442 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I am a small seller.  

So as Martha would say It's a good thing...we should all go for the 2 day shipping?

I don't know what anyone else should do about their shipping. I just know what is good for me given the options presentedSmiley Very Happy

I have little opportunity to use "promoted listings" with the category of items that I am selling, but I would like to still qualify for the "invoice credit"  in those few areas by remaining TRS.

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

pinkrose442 wrote:

mistwomandancing wrote:

llllady wrote:

You are suggesting on top of all these's new trendy wave niche's there will be a increase in FEE'S up ahead...#%***

I don't see how there won't be.. eventually.

Costs, expenses go up.  Stuff, everything, costs more as months and years pass.  Businesses have to charge more for their product or service to keep up.

We've watched eBay position itself in regards to what they give out in exchange for what that brings back in.  And as time has passed, we've watched eBay cut a little here and nick a little there to save some expense without actually increasing what we pay... instead, giving back a little less TO us than was previously given. 

At some point, obviously, that won't be enough to close the gap, and they'll have to increase what they actually charge.  My groceries cost more.  My utilities cost more.  My property taxes cost more.  And what it costs me to sell on eBay will cost more.  Eventually. 

I'm like you.  I hope it won't be soon, and I hope it won't be much.  But whatever it is, it will merely be the business expense it's always been.. another cost of doing business, wrapped into the prices I put on my merchandise for sale.  Just like I worked it when in 'real' retail shops.  The costs of doing business are covered in the pricing of the service or merchandise.   

Message 40 of 43
latest reply

@pinkrose442 wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

@pinkrose442 wrote:

Challenging times these day's new trendy wave about face direction...lower selling benefits more hoops to jump and reach that yellow star of TRS.  Just searching around this morning and have noticed that many items ratio more NOT having TRS in their listings and store like BHFO not even showing anything to do with TRS...is this fading out and we don't know it yet?

It's just another one of eBay's weening tactics. When you want to get rid of something without a backlash, you raise the bar and make it so that it's not cost effective for people to want to participate in it. Then you can eventually end the program, by claiming that there wasn't enough demand for it to continue. Simple psychological tactic.

Wow do you know more than you are suggesting here...weening tactics, raising the bar to make it so that it's not cost effective for people to participate...?

Oldest psychological business trick in the book. I have my degree in psychology plus I took courses in business psychology. They did the same thing with Half.com last winter. They jacked up commissions to get sellers to leave while not losing a dime because the other larger dependent sellers couldn't just up an leave. They paid the difference in the loss. Nice dirtbag tactic. Then they ween off the staff, and resources, etc, etc... 

eBay's sellers may be dedicated to eBay, but eBay is not dedicated to it's sellers.

Message 41 of 43
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I am a small seller.  

That's a great idea for you were shipping one day is so iffy...at least you'll stay aboard.

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@pinkrose442 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I am a small seller.  

I don't know what anyone else should do about their shipping. I just know what is good for me given the options presentedSmiley Very Happy

I have little opportunity to use "promoted listings" with the category of items that I am selling, but I would like to still qualify for the "invoice credit"  in those few areas by remaining TRS.

Well if you are cut down out of your TRS...then why keep 1 day shipping...it doesn't benefit that seller.

Message 43 of 43
latest reply