cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspension violating rules

Ok, so this automated policy enforcement is GARBAGE!  I just caught a 3 day suspension because a BUYER GAVE ME HIS PHONE NUMBER and we finished our transaction on ebay through ebay.  I ignored the message about his number and yet I still catch a **bleep** restriction?  I called ebay and they don't care.  They told me there is nothing they can do even though its painfully obvious that I DID NOTHING wrong.  

Seriously, who else is strugging with this automated enforcement catching innocence?

Im to the point where I am about to flip the **** out.  This is so frustrating.

Message 1 of 175
latest reply
174 REPLIES 174

@llllady wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

Hi @simplecellunlock, while I can't discuss the details of your messages here, I do need to confirm that we do review timestamps before making a decision. We also look at other factors, like messages with other buyers or past warnings before taking action. If you'd like to discuss this in more detail then I'm happy to do so through email if you'd like, just let me know.

brian@ebay

How many employees does eBay have doing all this extensive checking of which you speak?  Must be hundreds, if not thousands, yes?  And are they located in the U.S.? 

And do they read and understand english? And timezones?

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous alan@ebay

I thought that a human was to review before suspension, did that happen in this case?  Per the OP The transaction was completed ON eBay and eBay received it's FVFs.  

This is what is causing excessive paranoia on the parts of sellers.   The seller does not seem to have violated the rule, yet they are punished?   

If the transaction is completed on eBay then the message content SHOULD NOT MATTER! Especially when the seller apparently DID NOTHING WRONG.

Hi @dtexley3, I'm happy to clarify that a customer service agent does review violations of this policy before action is taken. If contact information is shared and one of our agents reviews it prior to payment being made, the reasonable conclusion is that the sale went off eBay. If a buyer shares their contact information before paying, sellers should reply and explain that the transaction needs to go through eBay checkout.

Hello @simplecellunlock, while all actions regarding off site sales are reviewed by a human, it is possible for mistakes to happen occasionally. I've sent your restriction to the appropriate team for further review to ensure the correct action was taken on your account. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Brian T.,

Who are the humans that review these cases - US based or off-shore or outsourced? 

Are they English-first-language employees? 

Do they have any type of formal training or supervision? 

Are there reviews of their decisions?

What is a 'reasonable conclusion', in whose opinion - any 'proof' required or requested?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 62 of 175
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

One would think having links to an off-site selling website in listings should take priority over a couple email messages.

But the big toy seller is still allowed to have them in their listings ............

"All sellers have to follow the same policies" indeed.

But perhaps they played "Let's Make A Deal" to keep the long-necked one on the site after they get their own platform functioning in 2018.  Time will tell.  😉

If "All sellers have to follow the same policies" as spewed forth every chat is true, then there should be no Monty Hall intervention.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Sorry, but if I'm thinking of buying or selling an antique toy or antique anything, say mayby 1k-2k+, I may want to talk to the seller or the buyer may want to talk to me one way or another about it. 

I was thinking of some kind of item requiring customization.  Buyer and seller may need to talk about it in advance, then maybe the buyer backs out for some reason.  Then maybe the seller wants to re-think and rewrite the listing for better clarity and takes it down, unsold.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 64 of 175
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Sorry, but if I'm thinking of buying or selling an antique toy or antique anything, say mayby 1k-2k+, I may want to talk to the seller or the buyer may want to talk to me one way or another about it. 

I was thinking of some kind of item requiring customization.  Buyer and seller may need to talk about it in advance, then maybe the buyer backs out for some reason.  Then maybe the seller wants to re-think and rewrite the listing for better clarity and takes it down, unsold.

That's also an excellent example. There are quite a few more also, especially in Business and Industrial.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous alan@ebay

I thought that a human was to review before suspension, did that happen in this case?  Per the OP The transaction was completed ON eBay and eBay received it's FVFs.  

This is what is causing excessive paranoia on the parts of sellers.   The seller does not seem to have violated the rule, yet they are punished?   

If the transaction is completed on eBay then the message content SHOULD NOT MATTER! Especially when the seller apparently DID NOTHING WRONG.

Hi @dtexley3, I'm happy to clarify that a customer service agent does review violations of this policy before action is taken. If contact information is shared and one of our agents reviews it prior to payment being made, the reasonable conclusion is that the sale went off eBay. If a buyer shares their contact information before paying, sellers should reply and explain that the transaction needs to go through eBay checkout.

Hello @simplecellunlock, while all actions regarding off site sales are reviewed by a human, it is possible for mistakes to happen occasionally. I've sent your restriction to the appropriate team for further review to ensure the correct action was taken on your account. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

That's great that humans are reviewing these, but don't you think it's likely time to graduate to humans that can read and understand time stamps as well as understand that when a sale is completed on eBay  this means that it was therefore not  completed off eBay?

I don't understand how nothing ever seems to work the way eBay insists it is supposed  to work.

Why can't your bots figure out numerical contact numbers like they can figure out email addresses? Simply refuse to let the messages go through.

Instead, we need all this drama...

One would think having links to an off-site selling website in listings should take priority over a couple email messages.

But the big toy seller is still allowed to have them in their listings ............

"All sellers have to follow the same policies" indeed.

But, THOSE aren't sellers - those are "Clients"!

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 66 of 175
latest reply

@chrysylys

no you're not getting hints.  I told it exactly how it happened.  The supervisor confirmed I was innocent in this situation.  The timestamps of everything proved me innocent as has been noted on my account yet they won't remove the restriction "because they can't" there is no rollback button apparently.

I took a warning 2 months ago for having my number in listings...i admitted I was wrong back then and have gone out of my way to ensure I follow all policies.  Which I do and have to this day. This is about how I did nothing wrong in this one instance and I caught a 3 day ban.  The warning i took on the chin, I didn't know better, i admitted to

Message 67 of 175
latest reply

Unfortunately with a previous warning on your account, who or whatever read the messages decided to be harsh
Message 68 of 175
latest reply

@d-k_treasures

it was very fitting for this situation.

Message 69 of 175
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous alan@ebay

"If contact information is shared and one of our agents reviews it prior to payment being made, the reasonable conclusion is that the sale went off eBay."

So, it reasonable for me to conclude that eBay will no longer be showing listings from European sellers, on eBay.com? Those listings have Name, Address, Telephone Number, and often time a lot more information, to boot. That is the "the reasonable conclusion", that I have came to.

"If a buyer shares their contact information before paying, sellers should reply and explain that the transaction needs to go through eBay checkout."

News to me. Can I get the OFFICAL eBay boilerplate response; WORD FOR WORD; that all sellers are NOW REQUIRED to sen potential buyers in order to avoid a suspension.

If eBay now requires its sellers to respond to any and all potential buyers who send messages to sellers that MIGHT include that buyers contact information. Then eBay needs to make an official announcement, with the official eBay approved seller response, and add those requirements to its terms of service.

Once again; for the 133rd time this year, eBay is now enforcing a new unannounced speed limit of 35mph, and is issuing speeding tickets to its customers (sellers), while all of eBay's highways still bare posted 55mph speed limit signs.

If you have any questions please give us a call at

Ate 6 seven Five 3 O NYNE

Jenny our dedicated customer service agent is standing by.

Message 70 of 175
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous alan@ebay

This is what is causing excessive paranoia on the parts of sellers.   

And on the part of the buyer when they cannot contact the seller if there is a special way to ship the item they just bought, etc.    I read that folks send the contact info through an attached photo and the bots miss it.  

Message 71 of 175
latest reply

Brian didn't say anything about posting all of that on an open board for all to see.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 72 of 175
latest reply

Do you want to buy them on eBay or send you the payment using PayPal

This is the line that gets you in hot water.

Message 73 of 175
latest reply

@simplecellunlock

Dude you just posted two user ID's,  that is a policy violation its self.

you need to self report and have the ID's removed.

Message 74 of 175
latest reply

I'm sure whatever 'human' read that probably can't tell the big hand from the little hand on the clock.