cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Agents

I recently experienced a challenging situation with a buyer who initially attempted to cancel an order during shipping, claiming they felt they had overpaid. Following the item's delivery, the buyer filed a ticket alleging the product was defective, despite both of us knowing this wasn't the case; they simply wanted a refund.

Navigating this unfamiliar scenario, I reached out to customer support for guidance. The agent advised me to refrain from taking any action or responding to the customer's claim, which struck me as peculiar. Nevertheless, I followed their instructions.

As the deadline for resolving the case approached, I contacted support again, receiving the same instruction to maintain inaction and await their intervention the following day. Both the agent and I recognized the buyer's fraudulent intent in fabricating the claim to secure a refund.

To my dismay, the next day brought an email from eBay stating the customer was returning the item. Upon contacting eBay, I was informed that because I hadn't initiated any action, they had proceeded to accept the return request.

This experience left me feeling deceived by the agents who had misled me. I'm seeking guidance on how to file a complaint against these individuals. Moreover, I'm troubled by eBay's apparent bias towards protecting buyers at the expense of sellers, and I'm eager to understand why such practices persist within the platform.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Support Agents

@discount.electronics.for.sale   @if there is a next time, here is an overview of how an INAD return can be handled.

Come here with questions, preferably before something goes south. Involving eBay in a return case is hardly ever rewarding.

If the buyer opens a Item Is Not As Described type return case, you have choices.

1. You can refund the buyer now and let the buyer keep the item. eBay refunds the final value fees on the sale to you, the seller.

2. If you want the item back before refunding, accept the return and make sure a prepaid return label is available in the return case. The buyer returns the item and then you refund in full. eBay refunds the final value fees on the sale to you, the seller.

Seller protection:
Top Rated Sellers who accept 30 day returns and sellers who offer free 30 day returns can do partial refunds, up to 50%, if the item is returned in a condition different than when you shipped it.

3. Do nothing, contest the case or allow eBay to handle the case, eBay will close the return, refund the buyer and allow the buyer to keep the item. You also receive a serious defect on your seller account for having eBay step in and refund, thus doing your job as a seller. And, eBay keeps the final value fees for the transaction.

Here is an eBay link with just about all you need to know.
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

Posting ID

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Support Agents

Can you tell me a marketplace that doesn't protect buyers?

They all do, same as financial institutions provide even more protections that extend past return policies with their chargeback rules.

The support agents are outsourced and know less about eBay policies than the members on this forum.

If someone submits a INAD return request you can either

Provide a shipping label and refund within 2 days of the item being delivered.'

Refund without return.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

You received bad information.
You should have accepted the return.

If the item is sent back to you, when you receive it, the buyer gets a refund,

If the buyer doers not send it back to you, no refund.

In your case, if the matter went unresolved by the deadline, the buyer gets a refund and does not have to return the item. 

Remember that for next time.

Sorry you received bad information.

Sorry this happened to you. 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

You're lucky they had the buyer return the item.

Usually when you get Ebay involved in an INAD, they refund the buyer from your account and let them keep the item.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

I would have been willing to accept the return or provide the partial refund the buyer requested.

However, eBay instructed me to refrain from taking any action, resulting in my first unresolved mark. It's frustrating because you anticipate learning from experience and guidance from the platform's team.

Yet, I'm realizing I may need to look to other sellers for insights, as eBay support seems to either work against sellers or lacks the necessary competence. Thank you for your response.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

I completely understand that marketplaces prioritize buyer protection, and it's an essential aspect of maintaining trust and integrity within the system.

I was always open to providing a partial refund or accepting the return of the item, but I followed eBay's instructions to stand down and take no action.

Unfortunately, this decision has left me in a worse situation. It's disheartening to realize that the support agents, who are supposed to guide us, may lack the necessary knowledge about eBay policies.

Moving forward, I'll keep in mind your suggestions for handling INAD return requests.

Thank you for sharing your insights.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

Thank you for sharing your experience.
It's concerning to hear that eBay sometimes issues refunds directly from the seller's account without requiring the return of the item.

Has this happened to you before?
If so, I'm curious to know how you went about getting either the money or the item back.

It does indeed seem unreasonable for eBay to implement such a policy.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

@discount.electronics.for.sale   @if there is a next time, here is an overview of how an INAD return can be handled.

Come here with questions, preferably before something goes south. Involving eBay in a return case is hardly ever rewarding.

If the buyer opens a Item Is Not As Described type return case, you have choices.

1. You can refund the buyer now and let the buyer keep the item. eBay refunds the final value fees on the sale to you, the seller.

2. If you want the item back before refunding, accept the return and make sure a prepaid return label is available in the return case. The buyer returns the item and then you refund in full. eBay refunds the final value fees on the sale to you, the seller.

Seller protection:
Top Rated Sellers who accept 30 day returns and sellers who offer free 30 day returns can do partial refunds, up to 50%, if the item is returned in a condition different than when you shipped it.

3. Do nothing, contest the case or allow eBay to handle the case, eBay will close the return, refund the buyer and allow the buyer to keep the item. You also receive a serious defect on your seller account for having eBay step in and refund, thus doing your job as a seller. And, eBay keeps the final value fees for the transaction.

Here is an eBay link with just about all you need to know.
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

Posting ID
Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

@discount.electronics.for.sale wrote:

I would have been willing to accept the return or provide the partial refund the buyer requested.

However, eBay instructed me to refrain from taking any action, resulting in my first unresolved mark. It's frustrating because you anticipate learning from experience and guidance from the platform's team.

Yet, I'm realizing I may need to look to other sellers for insights, as eBay support seems to either work against sellers or lacks the necessary competence. Thank you for your response.

You'll find out that the information you receive here on the selling board is much more accurate than what you will receive from customer service.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

Thank you for providing such a detailed overview of how to handle an INAD return case. I appreciate the insight and will definitely look more into the process of resolving such issues beforehand to avoid any potential pitfalls.

However, I must express my concern regarding the misinformation provided by eBay agents. As a newcomer, I rely on their guidance to navigate the platform effectively, and it's disheartening to discover that they may not always be properly informed. I'm particularly troubled by the potential repercussions of their advice, such as receiving a serious defect on my seller account for following their instructions.

I'm now contemplating how best to report these agents for their misleading guidance, as it's crucial for both sellers and eBay to uphold clear and accurate communication to ensure a fair and transparent marketplace.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

ebay should refund because the seller followed what ebay's customer service said to do. they should what is right. 

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

You waste energy and effort to address eBays customer service issues.

They get fired, they get a few more that are waiting in the line to work and they will do the same thing.

Things aren't going to change.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

That is indeed disheartening, but you are correct.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

@discount.electronics.for.sale 

You are welcome for the INAD info.

Here is another tidbit. Do not waste another minute on the eBay agents. There is not a reporting mechanism. Just stay clear and you will be fine. 

Come here with questions first. If you are patient and wait for several members to respond,  your problem will be solved or members will point you in the right direction for help. 

The bottom line with online sales across most venues is that they have become "self serve" as in the platforms expect sellers to read, comprehend and execute within policies. 

On eBay this route really accelerated at the start of the pandemic and I would expect less and less, hands on seller support moving forward. 

Best of luck moving forward.

Posting ID
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Support Agents

@discount.electronics.for.sale wrote:

Sadly, that is your error. 

You should NEVER contact ANYONE regarding a 'return for refund'. 

Buyer buys

Buyer wants to return

Ebay notifies you

You HAVE to accept (if you either 'accept' refunds' or the refund is for reason of Not As Described, Damaged etc.) 

So, you accept.

When you receive it, you refund.

This is a 'systematic' website with VERY little 'people' support. So, you NEEDED to follow the systems.  

Reasons that RETURNS are FORCED:

Return Reasons.jpg

Message 15 of 32
latest reply