cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold an item. Someone who had not accepted my offer is asking how much it sold for

I received an offer for an item.

I submitted a counter offer that was good for a 24 hour + period of time. 
Shortly thereafter I received another offer from someone else and accepted that offer.

I called eBay to confirm it was ok to accept the second offer even tho the first buyer still had time to accept my counteroffer.

eBay confirmed that was ok.

The first buyer was disappointed and asked me how much the item sold for.  
Am I required to disclose that information?

Thank you for any guidance provided.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Sold an item. Someone who had not accepted my offer is asking how much it sold for

You need not disclose any information you do not want to.

The buyer takes a risk when they make an offer that someone else will buy the item before they find a price they are willing to pay for it.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Re: Sold an item. Someone who had not accepted my offer is asking how much it sold for

I'm assuming the accepted offer was higher than your counteroffer.

This is one of those "you snooze, you lose" times.

Whether you want to tell the first buyer or not is totally up to you.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 31
latest reply

There's a big warning on those offers 'Hurry others might get the same offer time is limited, once it sells it's gone!'

Or words to that effect.  You can ignore, disclose, or mess with the buyer saying it sold full price BIN if you want 😉

(S)He snoozed /  (s)he losed.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I appreciate the guidance.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

I appreciate you responding so quickly .

thank you

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Thank you - I appreciate you responding so quickly.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Thank you - I appreciate you responding so quickly 

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

We always state " subject to prior sale and price changes" in the terms. Otherwise people can hang you out to dry and they will.   It is your item until a sales is confirmed.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

I don’t do offers so I have a a few questions regarding it, are you allowed to make multiple counter offers for the same item that you only have one of?

I know you didn’t do that as you had one active counter offer and a separate offer from someone else at the same time. But when you accept the offer, does the other counter offer get closed out by eBay and notification sent to the respective buyer? I would hope it does.

As others said you can tell the buyer anything you want, you’re not obligated to anything with that buyer.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@amricons wrote:

We always state " subject to prior sale and price changes" in the terms. Otherwise people can hang you out to dry and they will.

I don’t understand what you are referring to here. Do you mean buyers will get upset if they find out you raised the price before they bought the item from you? If so, that issue is true for all listings, not just ones with best offers.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

You don't have to tell the other potential buyer. They can look at completed sales and figure it out.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

I don’t do offers so I have a a few questions regarding it, are you allowed to make multiple counter offers for the same item that you only have one of?

I know you didn’t do that as you had one active counter offer and a separate offer from someone else at the same time. But when you accept the offer, does the other counter offer get closed out by eBay and notification sent to the respective buyer? I would hope it does.

As others said you can tell the buyer anything you want, you’re not obligated to anything with that buyer.

Yes, you can counter an offer from one buyer and if another comes in from a different buyer, you may accept that offer. 

Once an offer is accepted, the item is sold and any offers (either from buyers or seller-initiated) become void. The buyer(s) who have open offers are notified that the offer was declined. (yes, "declined" is ebay's word, although it's not really declined but just no longer available or valid.)

As for the snoozer-loser, I wouldn't tell the person what it sold for. If I felt the need to respond, I'd say that "while you were deciding whether to accept my counteroffer, another buyer purchased the item." 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

You do not need to disclose the amount but it was actually unethical for you to not wait the 24 hours the other person had to accept the offer. Next time you give someone an offer please hold to your commitment before allowing someone else to snag it.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

You do not need to disclose the amount but it was actually unethical for you to not wait the 24 hours the other person had to accept the offer. Next time you give someone an offer please hold to your commitment before allowing someone else to snag it.

An offer is not a commitment. The OP did nothing unethical. As mentioned upthread, eBay even puts a warning on the message that conveys the offer: The first accepted offer/counteroffer wins the item.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply