cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social security number wanted.

I have been a Ebay member buyer/seller since 1999 untill recently my account was frozen because I refuse to give up my SSN. No one should have to give up there SSN.the reason is that you will be reported to the IRS so that you will have to pay more taxes because its earn income.most of us who rely on making a few dollars are tax those of us who are retire and living on fix social security income depend on flea markets and garage sales for extra cash it's going to get to a point if you stop to use a restroom you will be tax it's out of control . I will close my account with Ebay and sell where I'm not under pressure to keep them happy the more you sale on Ebay the better they look there employees get pay and there stocks go up.

Message 1 of 459
latest reply
458 REPLIES 458

Re: Social security number wanted.

I trusted Pay Pal with my SSN but my Pay Pal is not linked to my bank account. It has a credit card. I can dispute charges with a credit card but not debits. The bank will not go to bat for you if there's a problem but a credit card can be disputed. That is safer for me.

Message 196 of 459
latest reply

You are right. If someone buys something for $50 and uses it then it sits in the garage/closet for 3 years; then they sell it for $10 on eBay it's a LOSS.  Again, the IRS doesn't care if you make less than $2500 at a garage sale so why do they care if you make ( or lose) $100 on eBay ? If this is the law its been in place for YEARS not just starting in December. This is eBay not the IRS.

Message 197 of 459
latest reply

In California to file for a EIN there is a $70 fee to file then every year after that to keep the business franchise it's $800 dollars. It's not worth it for someone who is just selling a couple of hundred dollars of stuff out of the garage/closet.

Message 198 of 459
latest reply

Thank you for the info.  I've read most of that before and it confirms what I've said all along.  No member of Ebay fell victim to these bad actors.  But thank you for the information, others will likely find it very interesting.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 199 of 459
latest reply

@kkinetic-shop wrote:

If enough ppl fight it ... maybe ebay will allow sellers to use paypal as an option.  Seems like there are a ton of ppl who, like me, chose to sell on ebay BECAUSE, ebay uses paypal.  I am one of those ppl who is not into giving out my SSN to some rinky dink payment manager that has no proof of security or even proof of success.  Clearly this is a new system being unveiled.  If there is one thing we all know about new tech .... it has bugs and often fails a couple of time until they get it right.  Asking for a bank acct is a huge deal.  Asking for my social and my bank acct.  that is a lot of person info I am trusting you with.  I seriously doubt that an online seller has the rigid security protocol that a financial institution or a company that was established solely on practice of handling/transferring money.  For me it has Nothing to do with taxes.  It has EVERYTHING to do with trust.  I love ebay... but lets be honest .. its buggy AF.  And that is just on creating listing pages... that doesn't give me much confidence about the money management end.

Ebay isn't going to do that anymore than when they made PP mandatory many years ago.  All kinds of posters said all the same things about PP but Ebay stayed the course and they will with MP too.  

"Tons" of sellers are not likely leaving Ebay.  Some most certainly will and Ebay expected that.  But sellers that are profitable here and run a little business are far more likely to stay because it doesn't make for a good business decision to leave.  But micro sellers and casual sellers have a more difficult time with this and I absolutely respect that.  It is certainly a decision for each of us to make.

You are making some assumptions about the security of our financial info to include SSNs that just aren't accurate.  But that is for you to decide for yourself.  Learn the facts and make an informed decision or run with assumptions and make your decision.  That is completely up to you.

Ebay has protected our personal and financial information for over 25 years.  And they have had both.  Some sellers sigh up for automatically paying their monthly Seller invoice in past years.  So they attached a Credit card of a bank account.  So protecting this info isn't new to Ebay and because you give them your information doesn't suddenly mean they are just going to stop protecting it.  That wouldn't make sense.  

Message 200 of 459
latest reply

@theme2655 wrote:

In California to file for a EIN there is a $70 fee to file then every year after that to keep the business franchise it's $800 dollars. It's not worth it for someone who is just selling a couple of hundred dollars of stuff out of the garage/closet.

First off, you file with the IRS for an EIN, it has nothing to do with California.

Second, there is NO fee to apply for an EIN.

Third, this statement is found on the IRS page for EIN's

Applying for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service. Beware of websites on the Internet that charge for this free service.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/how-to-apply-for-an-ein

Message 201 of 459
latest reply

@theme2655 wrote:

You are right. If someone buys something for $50 and uses it then it sits in the garage/closet for 3 years; then they sell it for $10 on eBay it's a LOSS.  Again, the IRS doesn't care if you make less than $2500 at a garage sale so why do they care if you make ( or lose) $100 on eBay ? If this is the law its been in place for YEARS not just starting in December. This is eBay not the IRS.

@theme2655 

There you go again, there is NO $2,500 minimum threshold for IRS.  You are saying this again when it has no basis in fact.  So since obviously you are convinced you are correct.  Simply BACK IT UP with a link to the IRS rule that states this.  That should be simple to do.  

You just need to stop this, you are potentially going to cause FINANCIAL HARM to a REAL person if they take what you have said to heart.  Why in the world you do that?

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/gig-economy-tax-center

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sc.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/gig-economy-tips-taxpayers-should-remember

Message 202 of 459
latest reply

I’m also outraged. I’m a regulate human who occasionally sells random **bleep** on eBay. I’ve made like all of $100 on eBay in a year. Whoop de freaking do. And now I have to provide not only my bank account info but my social security number?!? **bleep**?? I do NOT trust eBay with this. I chose to trust PayPal with this years ago and hate that now I will have to choose to once again divulge my personal info to yet another big company who wants my info and doesn’t work hard enough to protect it. I am **bleep**. 

Message 203 of 459
latest reply

You hit the nail right on the head.  I'm just like you.  I will not give them my SS# either.    I've been with Ebay since 1998.  I'm not a heavy volume seller & why should I have to give my SS# ??  I think they're trying to push out the little guys who got Ebay started in the beginning when it was a good place to sell.  Just terrible.  I will no longer be selling here under these rules.

Message 204 of 459
latest reply

@kidztuff wrote:

You hit the nail right on the head.  I'm just like you.  I will not give them my SS# either.    I've been with Ebay since 1998.  I'm not a heavy volume seller & why should I have to give my SS# ??

Because the Federal Government says you have to. All this conspiracy theory nonsense blaming eBay for a Federal law is a waste of everyone's time.

Message 205 of 459
latest reply

" I'm not a heavy volume seller & why should I have to give my SS# ?"

Because federal law requires eBay to send a Form 1099-K to you (and the IRS) if they process more than $20K in transactions in a calendar year.  Now, several states have set thresholds which are much lower; a few have set it at just $600. You're already halfway there for 2021; what if you decide to relocate to one of the $600 states? eBay can't take a chance that they will be unable to meet their legal obligations as a funds processor.

Message 206 of 459
latest reply

No I don’t trust eBay with information, if hackers were able to break  into Federal Agencies in one of the most sophisticated and largest hacks in years, hacking  systems at the Treasury and commerce departments, how eBay is going to keep information safe? 

Message 207 of 459
latest reply

Hackers were able to brake into Federal Agencies in one of the most sophisticated and largest hacks in years, systems were breached at the TREASURY AND COMMERCE DEPARTMENTS. So I don’t trust eBay can safeguard sensitive information. Till eBay is  better...Hasta la vista 

Message 208 of 459
latest reply

Actually, you can sell items using a paypal account without having given Paypal your social security number, if you had a paypal account set up before 2016. I think it's intrusive to ask for a social security number for any reason, and it should be your right to refuse to give it to any corporation that is not a banking institution. The onus for reporting income on your taxes is on the individual, not the middleman.

Message 209 of 459
latest reply

I 100% agree. With all the data breeches, this is identity theft just waiting to happen. Paypal has much more safeguards and a LONG history of keeping data secure. Why would anyone trust a brand new system on Ebay to keep your social security and identity information safe? I never give out my social security to anyone other than a banking institution. Period. I will no longer use ebay for selling. 

Message 210 of 459
latest reply