cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Security Number

eBay wants my social security number after years of being on here without it. There's no way around it, so I guess I just won't sell on ebay. I hate giving out such sensitive info, and just having it out there on some server somewhere for the next 20 years. I don't trust ebay not to get hacked and loose my personal and banking(!) information. And when someone steals my identity I know dam well they won't help an ounce. So annoying.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Social Security Number

As an older couple, we miss the simple days of rotary phones and grainy UHF television stations.

With only 4 channels!  😆

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@katzrul15 

On a good day! If you adjusted the metal coat hangers just right. And if you didn't mind having to sit 3 inches away from the screen!

@katzrul15 wrote:

As an older couple, we miss the simple days of rotary phones and grainy UHF television stations.

With only 4 channels!  😆

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

With only 4 channels!  😆

Lucky.

For the longest time, we only 3 channels. 😀

Have a great day
Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@iart wrote:

@katzrul15 

On a good day! If you adjusted the metal coat hangers just right. And if you didn't mind having to sit 3 inches away from the screen!

@katzrul15 wrote:

With only 4 channels!  😆

You also had to make sure the tin foil didn't fall off the coat hangers.

Have a great day
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Don't remember the tin foil, but do remember my brother was the remote!  😁

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 20 of 25
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@katzrul15 wrote:

With only 4 channels!  😆

Lucky.

For the longest time, we only 3 channels. 😀

What?  No sesame street??  (ABC, NBC, CBS & PBS)

Posting ID Only.......
Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Why are there so many liars in this thread? I've read about 20 people here now claiming that the OP (and everyone else) gave PayPal  our social security numbers. No I didn't. The OP probably didn't either. Why the hell would we have done? I've never been asked by PayPal in my life to do that. Neither has Google Pay or any other payment intermediary I've worked with.

As for blaming the IRS, no, this is 100% on eBay. eBay has (1) structured their business in such a way that it falls foul of some obscure IRS regulation which didn't apply to PayPal - and that's taking their claims at face value and (2) made the decision to ban people from using other forms of payment.

My wife and I are not going to give eBay our social security numbers. You shouldn't either. There are alternatives to eBay, use them.

Quit it with the dishonest bootlicking. You're not going to get anything back from eBay for doing this, and you're helping big businesses screw people over. It's not a good look.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Just discovered this. I don't trust eBay with my private information, so that's the end of selling. This is on top of other random changes, such as not being able to change return policy. It's not what it used to be anyway. Bye. 

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

My thinking is that with the rampant data breaches all over the place on a daily basis is that anybody who has a job, a bank account and a credit card has almost certainly had there data stolen already, you might as well paint that ss# on a billboard.

I suggest that everyone lock their credit scores, 

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply