cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what’s up with ebay not taking PayPal payment?

So when I buy here I always use PayPal to pay. Tried to buy something today and it pops up they are having a problem choose another payment method. 

So I go into my PayPal account and everything is fine. No issues. Go back into the listing and now it won’t even display the pay with PayPal option. 

That seller just lost a sale. 

Anyone else see this?

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: So what’s up with ebay not taking PayPal payment?

@redmodelt wrote:

Why not just add and use your credit card/debit card/checking account on the eBay platform and skip using Pay-Pal? When I kept money in PP from sales, that was one thing, but now that I don't, don't see a reason to use it on this platform.

I understand your thinking except, I get paid on other venues I sell on into my PayPal account. 

I use that money to buy things here. 

Giving ebay my checking account is a total no go. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 16 of 39
latest reply

It looks like PayPal has been having technical issues with their API today.

https://www.paypal-status.com/incident/production

The API is how eBay and many other sites connection to PayPal - if that isn't working, eBay can't connect to complete the payment process, so they won't display PayPal as a payment option.

You'll need to use an alternate form of payment or wait for PayPal to fix the issue. I'm seeing it back on listing pages when I look now, so it may be resolved or at least in the process of being resolved.

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox 

Hey Again

I found this posted from one of our valued forum members:

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/paypal-not-available-payment-option-ebay/

Looks like paypal is having some issues.  Hopefully it's just a glitch.  I'm with @bonjourami Many could  lose sales because of this issue.  

Message 18 of 39
latest reply

@wjmerritt "

...Same Issue here..  Going to go shop on Amazon..."

This comment make zero sense. 

I wonder which payment method you could use to 'shop' on Amazon that ebay does not accept while PP is down....

credit/debit card (yes, just like ebay) maybe you can use your

google pay at amazon (nope)....

Apple pay? (strike 2 unless you use various hacks)...

pickup? (nope, strike 3...you can go back to the dugout)

and IF Paypal was up, you couldn't use that at Amazon either.....

You can return when you have something constructive to add.......

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

Started working!   Really strange....

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

Really? Then how do you get paid for the things you sell here?

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

elizabeth@ebay  - tagging you here as a suggestion for the payment best practices post you made yesterday.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Best-practices-for-Seller-payment-and-Buyer-checkout-issues/m...

I understand this is an issue on PayPal's side, so there really isn't anything eBay can do to fix it, but maybe some proactive communication from eBay would help?

When PayPal's API is not available, it causes PayPal to no longer show as a payment option on the listing page, which is very concerning for users.

noPP (1).png

This isn't the first time and every time I've seen it happen, it sets off a wave of panic here in the community and I would also imagine increased load on eBay's customer support line and social media channels.

It might be a good idea to add something about it to the Problems paying with PayPal on eBay section here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-paypal?id=4033#section3

Not sure what the best wording would be, but maybe something to indicate specifically if you don't see PayPal as an available option, there may be a technical issue and you should try again later or select a different payment method?

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

elizabeth@ebay  - tagging you here as a suggestion for the payment best practices post you made yesterday.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Best-practices-for-Seller-payment-and-Buyer-checkout-issues/m...

I understand this is an issue on PayPal's side, so there really isn't anything eBay can do to fix it, but maybe some proactive communication from eBay would help?

When PayPal's API is not available, it causes PayPal to no longer show as a payment option on the listing page, which is very concerning for users.

noPP (1).png

This isn't the first time and every time I've seen it happen, it sets off a wave of panic here in the community and I would also imagine increased load on eBay's customer support line and social media channels.

It might be a good idea to add something about it to the Problems paying with PayPal on eBay section here:

Not sure what the best wording would be, but maybe something to indicate specifically if you don't see PayPal as an available option, there may be a technical issue and you should try again later or select a different payment method?

Good Morning @valueaddedresource. I appreciate your advice here, and think this would be a good addition. I'll work on adding a statement about checkout errors specifically. 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 23 of 39
latest reply

elizabeth@ebay wrote:

noPP (1).png

Good Morning @valueaddedresource. I appreciate your advice here, and think this would be a good addition. I'll work on adding a statement about checkout errors specifically. 

Thanks elizabeth@ebay but just to be clear, I'm not sure this would exactly be a "checkout error".

Yes, PayPal is not available at checkout when this happens, but the issue (and concern it causes) actually starts before checkout, when viewing an item page and not seeing the PayPal logo among the accepted payment methods as shown in my screenshot.

That leads to people assuming that eBay has decided to stop accepting PayPal all together, before they ever reach the checkout page.

Again, not sure what the best solution is, just wanted to be clear the issue doesn't just impact checkout, it's affecting the buyer experience as soon as they enter the view item page and may cause lost sales if buyers who prefer to only use PayPal don't have any explanation for why PayPal is no longer showing on the page as a payment option.

Maybe instead of removing it completely, a better solution would be to have it greyed out and when you hover over it a pop up info box that says something like "not available right now" and a "click to learn more" link that goes to the help page with further info?

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

@monica-sells wrote:

@wjmerritt "

...Same Issue here..  Going to go shop on Amazon..."

This comment make zero sense. 

I wonder which payment method you could use to 'shop' on Amazon that ebay does not accept while PP is down....

credit/debit card (yes, just like ebay) maybe you can use your

google pay at amazon (nope)....

Apple pay? (strike 2 unless you use various hacks)...

pickup? (nope, strike 3...you can go back to the dugout)

and IF Paypal was up, you couldn't use that at Amazon either.....

You can return when you have something constructive to add.......

I understand bad exactly what they are saying. Shall we say my trust level in ebay is not the highest? 

My accounts that ebay has access to are dedicated for that purpose only. My bank account they drop money into is only for that. I do not allow anyone access to my other accounts nor do I mix business accounts.

As for giving them a credit card. They have one. Dedicated again to ebay business.  I will not give them another. 

I have an Amazon credit card as well. Usually I buy packing material there if it’s cheaper than ebay.

I think what this poster said was very constructive and understandable.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 25 of 39
latest reply

@wrong66 wrote:

Really? Then how do you get paid for the things you sell here?

A bank account that’s dedicated to ebay only. I run a business. Don’t mix business and personal. The money goes into that account. It doesn’t pay out. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 26 of 39
latest reply

So you DID give eBay a bank account. Funny, because I thought I read "Giving eBay a checking account is a no go".

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

elizabeth@ebay wrote:

noPP (1).png

Thanks elizabeth@ebay but just to be clear, I'm not sure this would exactly be a "checkout error".

Yes, PayPal is not available at checkout when this happens, but the issue (and concern it causes) actually starts before checkout, when viewing an item page and not seeing the PayPal logo among the accepted payment methods as shown in my screenshot.

That leads to people assuming that eBay has decided to stop accepting PayPal all together, before they ever reach the checkout page.

Again, not sure what the best solution is, just wanted to be clear the issue doesn't just impact checkout, it's affecting the buyer experience as soon as they enter the view item page and may cause lost sales if buyers who prefer to only use PayPal don't have any explanation for why PayPal is no longer showing on the page as a payment option.

Maybe instead of removing it completely, a better solution would be to have it greyed out and when you hover over it a pop up info box that says something like "not available right now" and a "click to learn more" link that goes to the help page with further info?

Valid points @valueaddedresource. I think adding a checkout issue portion would help, but when it comes to the PayPal issue, a better direction would be to work with our developers on how this issue appears on the listing page (great suggestion regarding it being greyed out). I'll reach out  to some teams on this, and appreciate your feedback.

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 28 of 39
latest reply

@wrong66 wrote:

So you DID give eBay a bank account. Funny, because I thought I read "Giving eBay a checking account is a no go".

My main checking account no way. The one that ebay drops money into? Yes. 

In my mind the dedicated checking account is used for incoming. I don’t use it to buy stuff with. 

It helps keep the books straight. 

So in essence, that account is not available to use to purchase things so to be able to add an account to buy things here with, nope. It’s a no go.  To do that I would have to get another account and drop money into it to use. 

It’s  foolish to allow anyone to have access to your main checking account. If you ever get your identity stolen, you will figure it out.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 29 of 39
latest reply

elizabeth@ebay wrote:

elizabeth@ebay wrote:

noPP (1).png

Valid points @valueaddedresource. I think adding a checkout issue portion would help, but when it comes to the PayPal issue, a better direction would be to work with our developers on how this issue appears on the listing page (great suggestion regarding it being greyed out). I'll reach out  to some teams on this, and appreciate your feedback.

elizabeth@ebay just bumping this idea back up again - it looks like PayPal is once again experiencing issues today that are causing it to not be listed as an available payment option on eBay.

I would imagine your support reps are getting flooded with calls and social media contacts as result - some kind of visual indication letting buyers know what's going on could help alleviate that headache. 

Message 30 of 39
latest reply