cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So much for thinking opening a store will improve sales

I thought, maybe, opening a store would increase sales; especially when I can list much, much more with the extra free listings.  Sales stink & views are WAY down.  I know.....I know......it's summer.  I'm certain many sellers are still doing very well.  3-4-5 sales a day isn't asking for too much, is it??  lol  Good luck to all.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Dont do it unless you have something very special. We have very special stuff but ebay is somehow blocking any business through one of many glitches, errors, or purposeful events. Cant figure out why but, certainly not disinterest and they are speaking up much.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

I thought, maybe, opening a store would increase sales; especially when I can list much, much more with the extra free listings.  Sales stink & views are WAY down.  I know.....I know......it's summer.  I'm certain many sellers are still doing very well.  3-4-5 sales a day isn't asking for too much, is it??  lol  Good luck to all.

We made the same mistake I'm afraid to say and will have to suck up the payments until we can close. 

Moral of the story....never give to the hand that steals from you. 

Only 7 more long months to go.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Throw me to the wolves and I'll come back leading the pack.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I've had a store for years now, and I feel it does help increase sales, because I sell long-tail items that usually have to be listed for some time (RE: months) before they sell. When that right person comes along, I want my items available.  I have 250 fixed that I can use and don't have to pay 35 cents or sit on my hands waiting for a free listing promo that won't come.

Stores in and of themselves get no special treatment when it comes to traffic. You DO have markdown manager and other sales tools to help drive traffic your way.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

I've had a store for years now, and I feel it does help increase sales, because I sell long-tail items that usually have to be listed for some time (RE: months) before they sell. When that right person comes along, I want my items available.  I have 250 fixed that I can use and don't have to pay 35 cents or sit on my hands waiting for a free listing promo that won't come.

Stores in and of themselves get no special treatment when it comes to traffic. You DO have markdown manager and other sales tools to help drive traffic your way.

We updated to the Premium and for two months now it's been a disaster.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Throw me to the wolves and I'll come back leading the pack.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Even if a store doesn't result in more sales and therefore more commission for eBay, they can make it up in rent.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@sakic92710- Supposedly ALL CAPS listing titles are not friendly to search algorithms. Maybe changing your titles will help. Good luck.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

The reason I keep a store is because the math makes sense on listing fees.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Looking at your recently listed items, the first dozen of your items seems to be relistings of items that have already ended without a sale. 

I find that the sell-through on previously unsold listings is very low, especially in collectibles - a couple percent at best.  The best items get snapped up, and what's left moves slooooow. 

How many of your current listings are actually entirely new inventory? 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

A store has no bearing on sales. It is just a discount on the price for listing items. The way to get sales is to have the lower priced compared to others and list items in demand. The best way to do that is always compare your potential listings to completed listing to see if it is worth your trouble. I personally list about 3 out of every 4 items I intended to sell. The other item either goes to Salvation Army or the trash.  Listing more does not mean much if there is no demand or priced to high.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply