cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So eBay won't show us what the fee would be for Promoted Listings anymore?

EBAY promoted error.png

How am I supposed to figure this out now? Is this the same for everybody or am I seeing a glitch? It's the same for every listing I try to edit.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay has changed the way Promoted Listing fees are calculated.

Promoted Listing fee will be calculated on the total transaction amount (item + shipping + sales tax.)

Sales tax is taxed by the buyer's state and varies from state to state so that can't be predicted before a sale.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Also why is their default suggested rate basically 10%? 10 percent just to promote on top of all of the other fees I have is ridiculous. They used to suggest something more reasonable and different for each item.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ebay has changed the way Promoted Listing fees are calculated.

Promoted Listing fee will be calculated on the total transaction amount (item + shipping + sales tax.)

Sales tax is taxed by the buyer's state and varies from state to state so that can't be predicted before a sale.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

So there is no way to see what it is before a sale now? And therefore no way to know what percentage I should select in order to profit and not lose money on a sale?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Did you take a math class in school?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I'm more intrigued by the fact that 1% of 100 was 1.27 or 1.38 or whatever it was but it wasn't 1.00.

Maybe that's what they're hiding, because you know you're going to get axed anyway but it's nicer to keep an element of surprise 😁

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@ambera215 wrote:

Also why is their default suggested rate basically 10%? 10 percent just to promote on top of all of the other fees I have is ridiculous. They used to suggest something more reasonable and different for each item.

I did some experiments with promoted listings and my conclusion is that they are a total waste of money at least in my categories. I believe that instead of paying 10% to promote just lower the price by 10% or find better things to sell.

However if I did use them I would just add another cell to my excel spreadsheet ebay profit calculator along with the cost of the item, estimated buyer paid shipping cost, asking price, and estimated sales tax, it is not exact but close enough.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@ambera215 wrote:

So there is no way to see what it is before a sale now? And therefore no way to know what percentage I should select in order to profit and not lose money on a sale?

You have to treat it the same as fvf.............no way to figure them either.......  You have to estimate both based on what you think the shipping will be as well as the sales tax.......plus, of course, the sale price.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply