cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow sales discussion for sellers. Nov 2019. Will we get our Holiday Rush??

Well, my main problem, as I keep mentioning, is that my sales are in the dumper. They are down by 60% and it is the holiday shopping season, will we be getting our sales rush this year? It is looking more and more like this won't be happening.

Does Ebay want to keep us here, or do they not care? I'm a good seller, don't they want good quality sellers to make their site a great place to shop? How many other sellers are having slow to no sales this season? I see the board full of them. Would love to hear from other sellers about their experiences. If you’re doing well, please share your secrets. If you’re doing poorly please add your voice to this discussion. It does help when you know you aren't alone.

I’m following all their suggestions and more, constantly tweaking and updating, trying to chase down what works here. It is very difficult, when things keep changing. We’re trying to stay at Ebay because we believe this is a great place to sell. We just would love for it to work properly.

I am trying to get my sales kick started by taking some of the great suggestion that a few of the posters have given for Ebay and ended some items, waited a few days and then relisted them using sell similar. I did do the promoted listings again, which I don’t like at all, but I’m afraid that this is a necessary evil after reading what others have said. I listed a bunch of Christmas ornaments and I’ve added more free shipping to more of my listings. Maybe I'll try to list some more stuff today. So hopefully these things will help, whenever the site starts working properly again, that is. Still waiting …

It is hard to stay motivated, when you try everything and nothing seems to help.

I did start selling on another site (and actually got a sale today, yay), but of course I'm new and don't have a seller reputation like I do here on Ebay. I would much rather stick with where I have all my history and with what I am familiar with. It would be great if Ebay would please stop changing things and concentrate on fixing things instead, so we can get back to selling. We just want to love you again Ebay. No hate here, just frustration, major frustration. I would much rather be packing up boxes then writing on this board, believe me.

Message 1 of 927
latest reply
926 REPLIES 926

No hate here, just frustration, major frustration. I would much rather be packing up boxes then writing on this board, believe me.

Same here. I pack everything up myself and love it. Had 2 orders come in, but both buyers requested cancellation. Oh well, at least I'm getting some action.😂

Message 2 of 927
latest reply

Re: Slow sales discussion for sellers. Nov 2009. Will we get our Holiday Rush??

Bahahaha! I guess we've been transported 10 years back. Oh do I wish, I was doing great on Ebay then. That's an awful typo, sorry. That's going to drive me crazy!

Message 3 of 927
latest reply

Ask the mods to edit it
Message 4 of 927
latest reply

@monstertoybox wrote:

Re: Slow sales discussion for sellers. Nov 2009. Will we get our Holiday Rush??

Bahahaha! I guess we've been transported 10 years back. Oh do I wish, I was doing great on Ebay then. That's an awful typo, sorry. That's going to drive me crazy!

Maybe that means they can archive this one instead of moving it.  wink

Message 5 of 927
latest reply

MAJOR frustration here, too.  Definitely going to try other avenues.  Almost every week is disappointing.  If 1 person doesn't come along & make 1 large purchase or several minor ones, the weekly total is lousy.  I'm at $88 US this week - almost 1/2 of that from 1 buyer.  Awesome start to the month!  Last week was a bit better with 3 decent days, 2 minor & 2 x 0.  Never sold 1 listing last weekend.  My best sale was on Kijiji.  Hope to use that more.  Given up on thinking eBay will get me out of a hole.  Unless they start allowing ALL members to see your postings at ALL times, forget about being successful.  Good luck to us all.     🙂

Message 6 of 927
latest reply

I sell different types of items, but this looks like something I could have written, since I agree with everything here. I am considering finding another place to sell but, in reality, what I want is for Ebay to be what it used to be, at least, a year ago. I don't ask for much, just some earnings to get by. I think the company has the power to restore its luster in the eyes of us, small sellers.

After all, we have also done our part to make this site what it is. I think we deserve the chance to have our role in the big picture.

Message 7 of 927
latest reply

@lex-talon wrote:

Had 2 orders come in, but both buyers requested cancellation. Oh well, at least I'm getting some action.😂

Cancellations are a dismal outcome, but better than SNAD's

Message 8 of 927
latest reply

@monstertoybox wrote:

It is hard to stay motivated, when you try everything and nothing seems to help.

I think that's the problem that's been created for many of us. It's just hard to stay motivated to take pictures, create listings, pack, ship, deal with returns, buy supplies, etc... when ebay….

Throttles your traffic, deletes your pictures, prevents buyers from paying you, makes search difficult at best, encourages returns, refunds your payment without a return, plus about 100 other issues... AND... they want a bigger cut of our profits for providing us with all of this.

Yeah... it's hard to get or stay motivated.

Message 9 of 927
latest reply

my store is on life support. If I don't make a sale today my gross total for 6 days will be $7.95 shipping included. Less than $2 profit for 6 days. Pretty poor. Last month picked up some during the second half, got my hopes up. Why, oh why, do I let them push me onto this roller coaster for over a year now ? Certainly can't count on a certain number of sales or $$$.

Best of luck to everyone. Hang in there monster, you are headed in the right direction and don't forget to list at least one new item a day. That is the only thing that seems to help me.
Message 10 of 927
latest reply

Been feeling like the holiday rush has arrived. I'm a small seller and had 46 orders last week. 36 so far this week, with one of those being a three-piece order. 

Looking at my bookkeeping for the year, things really got going in mid-September. Probably not coincidentally, that was around the time I really got to listing more consistently. 

So we'll see how the year closes out, but right now, I'm feeling good about things. 2019 has already been better than 2018's total sales (with similar margins) and has blown 2017 (the last year I was doing almost exclusively toys) way out of the water.

Message 11 of 927
latest reply

Thank you to the mod for updating the date on the thread!

Message 12 of 927
latest reply

This may be an unpopular thing to say but when researching listings I still see plenty of sales and for whatever reason those must be items/prices that buyers actually want. (or promoted? I don't know) I know what I"m talking about re: unwanted items because I sell used books and it's a very tough market. More competition all the time but no reason to believe that every year there are more and more people buying books. The opposite is likely more true.  Though sales are up on Amazon so yeah, it may partially be something wrong here on ebay. 

Being in USED books I don't get a holiday surge. My better months are Jan/Feb and July/August. But overall sales are stuttering here compared to the storied past.

Message 13 of 927
latest reply

I doubt your sales will pick up much for the Holidays. People really don't think of Ebay that much when shopping for new Christmas presents. They shop the river and most big on line retail stores they are more familiar with. If you did a survey of people you know, most would say they think of Ebay as a lower end store that carries mostly used items. The new items are actually store returns, overstock items stores could not sell on their shelves, and refurbished items. The items that are new are typically priced higher than retail stores. Many stay at home Ebay sellers really don't comparison shop like a buyer would before listing an item and those items are typically higher then other on line stores. Unless you compete with other Ebay sellers here your doomed as buyers typically search lowest first.

Message 14 of 927
latest reply

After giving all the time, energy, and money into your companies, you deserve to have the every last dollar that you have worked hard for.
Your Business must run for an Outrageous Price is an owner’s playbook for winning big.

Readers may also discover how to:

Prepare their companies and themselves for sale
Recognize the best time to go to market by Minimize the risk
Identify, attracted and motivated buyers By maintaining their confidentiality
Find a transaction advisor with the skills and experience to guide them
Attempts to undermine the sale price
and much more,

Therefore always remember that you have the extra ordinary skills which you need to figure it out and you'll get to use them in new ways.

Thank you 

Javda

Message 15 of 927
latest reply