cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Sales in January 2020

Just wondering how other sellers are doing. Our sales are very slow. With some unpaid auction items and really low offers. We sell mainly coins but we have some other accounts where we sell clothes and books and household items just a variety of things we do not need any longer. We just had an offer this morning for an item what is listed for 5.00 Dollars. We do not have any "Best Offer" Listings but from time to time we get someone what sends a message if we would take X amount for an item. This potential buyer offered 5.00 with free shipping. I tried to ship without tracking what opens us up to to much hassle  and getting dinged by ebay for shipping without tracking and I do realize other sellers offer free shipping but we are not able to do that . For us as sellers it is just not worth it, if I would add the shipping to the item and make it 8.99 free shipping they still would offer far less. We have the basic store so we pay for having the store the final fee the pay pal fee so for that item I would have maybe made less then a dollar if I would have taken his offer. We do realize they don't care from a selling point just for an item they want and get it at the best price. But for some low ball offers I much rather throw it away or donate the item. Just wondering how other sellers feel about it.

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Re: Slow Sales in January 2020

And u c I thought I needed to put more in my store..... I barely have 20 items and I was doing good.
The crickets..... But now the noise of the crickets are almost unbearable, lol.

Then I dont offer free this or free that. I think thats part of my problem also.
Message 61 of 83
latest reply

Well thank you for clearing that up. I wondered if offering free returns and free shipping would make a big difference.
They claim its the price of doing business and they want the buyer to have a great retail experience .

I can truely understand & their right in away .
Only, what market can you return an item in pieces or not at all and still get your money back?

So I really had to think about changing my policy's to the eBay way and I'm still gonna try that method just to see what happens ,b/c after its all said and done, the buyer is getting their money back regardless, might as well go along if you want to be on this platform.

Message 62 of 83
latest reply

With no sales at all in December, January did pick up a little, to almost $80.  Oh, I've got several items with watches, a few of them as high as six, but those items aren't going anywhere until I set up at a local convention.  It's really frustrating that eBay can't deliver customers with money to spend or, God forbid, lower their fees.

I don't want to blame the orange guy any more than the brown guy before him, but I am _not_ seeing any of this supposed prosperity.  My stocks stopped going up 15K points ago, it's harder than ever to find a software development job, retail is crashing, and eBay is flat lining.  My town lost its KMart, flea market, nuclear power plant, and a school last year (with two more on the chopping block this year).  I'm worried about my part time job because abandoned storefronts are like a cancer that spreads to kill other businesses nearby.  I don't have any idea what to do short of moving to another state at this point.

Message 63 of 83
latest reply

new tax laws just took affect at least in my state . every purchase has a big hefty fat  tax attached to them . gov roy copper needed  a new beach house and fancy new car and boat plane 

Message 64 of 83
latest reply

That is absolutely true.  I was talking to a vendor at a comic convention and she said exactly the same thing.  I've seen it in my own live sales as well.  Interesting phenomenon.  I won't be investing too much in high-end collectibles this year.

Message 65 of 83
latest reply

Stopped gone dead head here free returns 60 days is my final appeal Fingers crossed
Message 66 of 83
latest reply

Unfortunately it is looking like paying for promoted listings is not really a choice, assuming you want your listings to culminate in sales. I am not sure how the algorhythm works, but it sure seems like most (if not all) of the sales I have are a result of promoted listings. 

We all need to adapt if we want to survive.

Message 67 of 83
latest reply

I am confused by not accepting returns.

I mean, you do realize that if you don't accept a return request ebay is going to issue it to them anyway, don't you?

Message 68 of 83
latest reply

Lower the ad rate that you are paying for. You do not have to use the percentage that ebay suggests. I use 2% across the board and my sales are pretty steady.
Message 69 of 83
latest reply

Good Evening ,

I do believe that as the market Fluctuates ,people seem to hold tight to their cash and not splurge on things they can live without .I myself have been watching several items ,but I just cannot find my self to commit the purchase . I feel do I really need this today?

I believe once The new Years Blue' s dissipate ,We will grow as the selling ,machines we once were . Sometimes it is good to shift your merchandise around .End your listing and rewrite the listing with new photos ? 

How about a star burst tag ,Or maybe something quirky in your description. Of course nothing that offends , 

Just a few things I will be implementing in my strategy to boost sales …..Good Luck fellow eBay Stores . Salleys

treasures!!

Message 70 of 83
latest reply

agree ebay sales as of recent has literally gone downhill , sales, inquiries, offers are all down buyers are still watching but not buying and are low balling . the new tax laws have added to the drop of sales too especially high ticket items. its really things like chinese cheap accessories and apple products , cellphone and name brand fashion like gucci and lv that are still doing alright. expect to list and ride it out. ebay is not the money making machine for sellers that it once was.
Message 71 of 83
latest reply

i hate Ebay now. its **bleep** for sellers besides sales going down ebay the company sucks! so tired of talking to 3rd party customer service in the philippines they are trained to act like robots. so annoying. not helpful at all
Message 72 of 83
latest reply

generally jan/feb is a good month with people shopping with their xmas money . 2020 has been a disaster for sales on ebay.
Message 73 of 83
latest reply

i wouldn't be hopeful. this is going to continue . online sales free ship etc and now added tax on ebay. amazon will only grow and prob is a better sales site.
Message 74 of 83
latest reply

so true. the policies the tax the mgmt the customer service in manila, it all sucks. i hope ebay shutters despise them.
Message 75 of 83
latest reply