cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Sales in January 2020

Just wondering how other sellers are doing. Our sales are very slow. With some unpaid auction items and really low offers. We sell mainly coins but we have some other accounts where we sell clothes and books and household items just a variety of things we do not need any longer. We just had an offer this morning for an item what is listed for 5.00 Dollars. We do not have any "Best Offer" Listings but from time to time we get someone what sends a message if we would take X amount for an item. This potential buyer offered 5.00 with free shipping. I tried to ship without tracking what opens us up to to much hassle  and getting dinged by ebay for shipping without tracking and I do realize other sellers offer free shipping but we are not able to do that . For us as sellers it is just not worth it, if I would add the shipping to the item and make it 8.99 free shipping they still would offer far less. We have the basic store so we pay for having the store the final fee the pay pal fee so for that item I would have maybe made less then a dollar if I would have taken his offer. We do realize they don't care from a selling point just for an item they want and get it at the best price. But for some low ball offers I much rather throw it away or donate the item. Just wondering how other sellers feel about it.

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Re: Slow Sales in January 2020

it has been very dead. pre-christmas was terrible... i expected it to pick up after christmas or at least the beginning of january, as it always does.... but january too has been extremely slow.  been selling here for almost 20 years, and have never experienced sales being so bad.

i do all i can do. promoted listings. free ship and free returns. run sales.... jump thru each and every hoop to no avail. not sure what to make of it.

Message 2 of 83
latest reply

i expected it to pick up after christmas or at least the beginning of january, as it always does.... but january too has been extremely slow.  been selling here for almost 20 years, and have never experienced sales being so bad.

You are not alone.  I am also a 20 year seller.  Unfortunately, January 2020 seems to be on track to be my worst January ever - the same as every month since March 2019 has been.  

I refuse to offer free returns or pay for promoted listings.   However, I did offer free shipping for 100 of my items (25 on each of my four accounts) listed Dec 24 and Dec 25.   They have all ended now - two items sold.    Big deal...

Message 3 of 83
latest reply

Hi. The same slow sales. Last week very slow. 

Message 4 of 83
latest reply

Horrific. I’m down 60% compared to last year with about 300 items more listed compared to January 2019.  I’m just holding out hope.

Message 5 of 83
latest reply

@uncseniorsportsfan 

i also was very much opposed to offering free returns. but sales got soooo bad so i just recently started offering it, hoping it would increase sales.....so far no change;-(

Message 6 of 83
latest reply

Sales are on par for me.   I do not have a store nor accept returns and never pay extra for sponsored listings.   Folks need to remember that there are alot of places to sell nowadays (I have been on ebay solely since 1998)  and I try to offer items they will not find anywhere else.  And I do some free shipping for lightweight or media items.  Remember the USPS Rates go Up today I believe....And Up Quite A Bit.

Message 7 of 83
latest reply

Best January I've ever had. Can't complain one bit.

Message 8 of 83
latest reply

Worse sales month ever on EBay for last 10 years.   I have almost every item promoted and am running sales on top of that,  and sending offers.    14% to EBay/Paypal + 7% ad fees + 10% sale = 31% into a seller's margin.  I'm sure that EBay realizes that more ad fees and free shipping is a killer to their sellers.

Message 9 of 83
latest reply

Yep.  It's horrific.  I thought when I started in this over a year ago that I might be able to make a living at it, but the prospect of that is getting bleaker as time passes.  I thought ebay might be similar to selling in a market economy and, in a sense it is,  but in another sense, it's soooo not.  In a market economy you can make adjustments to compensate for market swings and see direct results. But with ebay there are so many other variables involved, ebay business voodoo, that have to be dealt with.  As hard as I've tried to make suggested adjustments, the sales just aren't there.  I actually did better through the summer than I did in the 4th quarter of 2019.  It seems to me that the item specifics scenario of mid-October was a turning point and things have just not been the same since.  I've got nearly a 1000 item store and I'm lucky if I make 2 or 3 sales a day now.  That's not a store, that's a yard sale on the side of the road in Death Valley.

Message 10 of 83
latest reply

i have also same issue regarding this even my account is top rated seller on 20 jan 2020 and after i do free return to get 10% benefit for final value i did not get impression my listing and not get any sales in this last week of January i am new seller but i don't know how its work on ebay i called ebay they said nothing any issue in my account but its our internal lower search issues even my all listing doesn't show me in search results but i get some 1000 impression a days on my promoted listing do you have any idea why my listing not showing in search when i put any keyword of my lisiting

Regards
Humair
Message 11 of 83
latest reply

@unclepauliscoins wrote:

Just wondering how other sellers are doing. Our sales are very slow. With some unpaid auction items and really low offers. We sell mainly coins but we have some other accounts where we sell clothes and books and household items just a variety of things we do not need any longer. We just had an offer this morning for an item what is listed for 5.00 Dollars. We do not have any "Best Offer" Listings but from time to time we get someone what sends a message if we would take X amount for an item. This potential buyer offered 5.00 with free shipping. I tried to ship without tracking what opens us up to to much hassle  and getting dinged by ebay for shipping without tracking and I do realize other sellers offer free shipping but we are not able to do that . For us as sellers it is just not worth it, if I would add the shipping to the item and make it 8.99 free shipping they still would offer far less. We have the basic store so we pay for having the store the final fee the pay pal fee so for that item I would have maybe made less then a dollar if I would have taken his offer. We do realize they don't care from a selling point just for an item they want and get it at the best price. But for some low ball offers I much rather throw it away or donate the item. Just wondering how other sellers feel about it.

re. January sales ("how are others doing"):

My January sales have been fine. 

re. Offers that would result in little or no profit ("how other sellers feel about it"):

I decline them and move on.

Message 13 of 83
latest reply

Very slow..... Started picking up mid month, but now with what’s going on in the world I’m not really surprised that there are barely any sales, few watchers, few offers.
Message 14 of 83
latest reply

Dead, very dead, disgustingly dead! I see that when my store comes up for renewal I wont be renewing it. It's to the point where I can't wait for it to get here, feels like the suffering of a thousand paper cuts!

Message 15 of 83
latest reply