cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Sales in January 2020

Just wondering how other sellers are doing. Our sales are very slow. With some unpaid auction items and really low offers. We sell mainly coins but we have some other accounts where we sell clothes and books and household items just a variety of things we do not need any longer. We just had an offer this morning for an item what is listed for 5.00 Dollars. We do not have any "Best Offer" Listings but from time to time we get someone what sends a message if we would take X amount for an item. This potential buyer offered 5.00 with free shipping. I tried to ship without tracking what opens us up to to much hassle  and getting dinged by ebay for shipping without tracking and I do realize other sellers offer free shipping but we are not able to do that . For us as sellers it is just not worth it, if I would add the shipping to the item and make it 8.99 free shipping they still would offer far less. We have the basic store so we pay for having the store the final fee the pay pal fee so for that item I would have maybe made less then a dollar if I would have taken his offer. We do realize they don't care from a selling point just for an item they want and get it at the best price. But for some low ball offers I much rather throw it away or donate the item. Just wondering how other sellers feel about it.

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Re: Slow Sales in January 2020

Thank you for saying that! Now I know I'm not the only one thinking it!  I've confronted several resellers on Youtube as to why they are on there making videos when they claim they are making such good money on ebay.  Why would any sane person add all the stress of doing a  Youtube channel if they were busy  making lots of money on ebay?  Of course, I know the answer already: ebay sales are down and they are looking for a way to make money (videos) AND market their items. None of them admitted that of course. Then you read the comment section and see the poor souls that are falling for the lies and deciding to go into reselling on ebay. Boy are they in the a surprise.

Message 46 of 83
latest reply

A friend of mine and I discussed this problem last year - I can go back thru my sales for 20 years and here's the thing - election years are awful. At least that's the way it has always been for me. Started socking away some money last year to get me thru this year. I knew it was coming - hoped this year would be different but so far it's not. Just my 2 cents.

Message 47 of 83
latest reply

I sell books. Three years ago I was selling 50 + a day. Now if I sell one, it is a good day. My profit margin is getting to where I won't be able to support my eBay store for much longer. Weird thing though, when my store fees came due on the 15th (68.00), I suddenly had 68.00 in sales. Paid the fee, but it is like I am working for ebay. Putting up a 1000 listings so they can make money on the advertising and not care if the item sells or not. It is like we are working to put up a listing page so that they can make money.  I'm about done with this site. After ten years, it seems they are only interested in selling big ticket items.  Free shipping, buy it now, promotional, all in vain.

Message 48 of 83
latest reply

We must remember it's January!, whether it's eBay or a retail store this is a traditional time for low sales as people recover from Christmas and New Years sales (not to mention current world events). There's an old saying "when bad weather sets in fisherman mend their nets", (or something similar!). So based on that we should all get positive, list some new items, adjust some prices, create some positive vibes for when the turn around comes!. That's what I am doing, think of all the great things eBay has generated previously for your sales, we all know things can improve anytime!.

Message 49 of 83
latest reply

i too have noticed this for a long time now, that right before your ebay invoice is due, you do get a boost in sales.....just like it always slows down around evaluation time.

Message 50 of 83
latest reply

Hi.. yes I completely agree with you! I am actually a Registered Nurse. I work in a large acute care hospital but I supplement my income by selling vintage/antiques on eBay. It’s the same in the health care setting. One month they want to give me benefit time off, the next, they call me every single day to go in for overtime! I stay loyal to my employer and I don’t even think that the grass may be greener elsewhere! I stick with what I know and trust through all the peaks and valleys and I’ve been consistently employed for 35 years!
Message 51 of 83
latest reply

I had at least 6 sales a month for Dec 2019 & Jan 2020. So far for the month of Feb 2020, it’s been crickets. 

Message 52 of 83
latest reply

Realistic is more like it. After all, EBay controls what’s viewed and by whom in comparison to other selling platforms.

Message 53 of 83
latest reply

You may want to try selling them in sets with free shipping. I am into hoops and stones so you may want to diversify.

Message 54 of 83
latest reply

Oh I can't agree more. After the death if the 4th quarter AKA October Item Specific night mare...I still have stuff that needs" more info" and it's no wonder they haven't sold. Anytime I try to use eBay short cut to fix them from the active listing screen I get errors and give up. So dumb!!! Why did they mess up our listing right before Christmas? I use to sell alot of kids / toddler clothes that my children had out grown and always did great before Christmas just from listing new items. Not this year, I tried promoted listing and found when I was desperate and would put 1% more than trending I would get 4 or more sales a day but paying that Bill of fees at the end of the month sucked

Message 55 of 83
latest reply

If you promote a listing it's not going to be in the regular search results any more just the promoted section at the top.

Message 56 of 83
latest reply

I agree. Ebay is the one who lets them make offer on non auction items. Your consent is not needed

Message 57 of 83
latest reply

For the number of items I have listed (cant seem to get above 200 those pesky buyers keep buying stuff!) my sales seem to be on par with the previous 3 months. I have been selling off and on since 2003 and started full time last Oct. don't have any particular niche at this point, I sell a variety of goods, new, pre-owned and vintage.

For those that are having problems with low offers, turn that option off in your listing or set it to automatically reject offers below what you set.

I started offering free shipping (Buyers have gotten spoiled on free shipping by the big companies) on the lighter items. I keep the cost of shipping heavier items to what the actual cost is and so far it seems to be working.

I think the sales tax throws some buyers off, it does me now as well.

I understand that a lot of you sell on eBay to put gas in your tank and rice on the table and sincerely hope that things take a turn for the better for you.

I will keep plugging away at it, roll with the punches, make noise when I need to, but most of all I try to have fun doing this. I am re-selling full time but I have other sources of income to fall back on (retired from 2 20 year careers and started drawing social insecurity last year)

Good luck all!

Message 58 of 83
latest reply

@bach4231 wrote:
Very slow..... Started picking up mid month, but now with what’s going on in the world I’m not really surprised that there are barely any sales, few watchers, few offers.

Sales here are bad...seriously considering other options now

Message 59 of 83
latest reply

Ebay was about 60% of my sales, but sales don't happen here like before. I'm even selling more on my own website with zero advertising budget today than on ebay, etsy is also beating ebay so far this year.

I guess you need to diversify your selling venues.

Message 60 of 83
latest reply