cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow February sales

Has anyone else found that sales have come to a halt this month?  January was ok but this month just seems dead.  Not complaining, as sales seem to come in waves, lots of sales or none at all.  Just wondering if I am the only one.  

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: Slow February sales

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U5MFIf-Wng      This chugging ????

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 16 of 62
latest reply

February has always been a good month to build inventory..

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 17 of 62
latest reply

Sales halted about a week ago, and then last night and this morning, I got 4 sales. Don't give up. This just happens. Keep working, as others have said. Do that thing you didn't have time to do when you were making a lot of sales. It's totally true that a watched pot never boils!

Message 18 of 62
latest reply

February over January Sales Selling exact same 500 items. 

2018- 15% Up

2019-40% down

2020-35% up

2021-14% up

2022-14% up

2023-25% down

Message 19 of 62
latest reply

curious if it from the new winter seller updates posted on 2/1? 

Every time a new update is rolled out; it sems to effect sellers' listings. I have noticed in past few years; the roll out is not all at once for all sellers. I have read posts of complaints in the past and wonder why I'm not having the same issue. Within about 2 to 4 weeks, it ends up hitting me, but this month is hitting me hard and it may be time for me to update the resume and put eBay on more of a part time hobby level.

Whatever eBay did to the search engine / wild card / word search about 4+ years ago, needs fixed. I'm also a buyer here, but I find that I have to play with my key word search 2 to 4 times easy to find all similar listings. 

Message 20 of 62
latest reply

I fully agree!!  Without ads eBay sort of disappears from people's minds.   I would do an ad where they list or mention all the odd, strange and wonderful things that are on eBay.   I'm even surprised when I look around and I work here.   

Message 21 of 62
latest reply

Totally agree.  Out of sight, out of mind.

Message 22 of 62
latest reply

I'm a small seller. For the past five years I've been putting up items for sale every quarter. I've sold 8 items since Jan 15, so that's OK, not bad. Jan and Feb are harder months, people received a lot of stuff at the holidays.

Because I am not on ebay all the time, the differences/changes when I come back are obvious. Last year, when they changed the view count, that was humbling. They removed the bots and only provide the last 30 days, so no more massive view counts to distort our perspective. And I wasn't getting views!!

So, to get views, I found that I needed to agree to 2 business day shipping and 30 day return period. I schedule items to list a new one every day and I do a little more research on the price points, have to be a lot more careful and revise price after listing if necessary. Can't just list and leave it. Something in all of that fixed the problem, not sure which one.

But yeah, it's not the same as what it was. I'm thinking of trying one or two other sites to see if it's better. the one thing about ebay that works for me is that it spreads a wide net across the entire country and makes the interface with the buyer and shipping easier. So for unique used items, it is the best audience. If you are selling stuff the everyone else sells, very hard to stand out.

Message 23 of 62
latest reply

I'm still not sure how the "new" way of counting views works.  It is discouraging to look at my listings and seeing zero views on so many items.  

Message 24 of 62
latest reply

Good post.  I have looked at some of the other sites and am not impressed.  When I look at some things like airline collectables, it just seems like a jumble of high-priced items, Ebay has much more detail in its listings and prices for items for sale are much lower.  But like you say, it is hard to stand out.  I always look at the number of items for sale in a category, and then look at the items sold.  Not a perfect correlation, but usually there are about 10 times the items for sale than what has been sold, so it is very competitive out there. 

Message 25 of 62
latest reply

I do find it interesting why eBay only advertises for the current interest market such as the eBay Motors.

When I watch my local news, they report every time Musk farts along with another one of his stupid ideas that he is trying to sell for more investors to cover his continuous losses due to his ego. Apple continues to promote new overpriced phones, but we are told the U.S. has a chip shortage for about 2+ years now, but Apple still seems to come up with new phones with those chips. U.S. Comsumers can't get a new software board / parts for their basic home appliances / auto without being gouged or waiting weeks. THE EXCUSE GAME!

Instead of having a team to think up more seller fee ideas, try a team for advertising / promotions like "if you're looking for it, you can find it on eBay". 

Message 26 of 62
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U5MFIf-Wng      This chugging ????

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd but you can be happy if you've a mind to"  😁

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 27 of 62
latest reply

Time to watch the Game

Message 28 of 62
latest reply

January and February are usually my best two months of the year for total sales.  January 2023 was weak compared to the past 20+ years.  Not a single sale over four accounts for the first 7 days of February, and only a total of 5 whole sales since. 

Funny thing is that when researching prices for "game birds fabric" before listing some - most of the ebay solds were for Larry Bird items and had nothing to do with fabric.  Of over 1100 current listings returned in search about half the first 60 listings were fabric (but not limited to game birds) and only a handful of the next 120.   Meanwhile using Google for the same search - the entire first couple of pages were actually game birds fabric, and some of the ebay listings returned in the google search were not on the first three pages of ebay search.    Sad to say this seems to be the rule - not the exception.  No wonder so many items have 0 views and salea are down if folks are only using ebay search. 

Message 29 of 62
latest reply

You know what they say - "Shoot for the moon and even if you miss you'll end up amongst the stars" = )

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 30 of 62
latest reply