cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Price Reductions To Help Make The Sale?? Seriously??????

Recently I was sent a message from eBay that buyers had an item of mine in their "shopping cart". Did not even realize ebay had shopping carts but whatever. Anyway the email suggested a price reduction that I should consider and they would message the buyer and let them know. Can anyone explain why this is even a thing when my listing is fixed price with a buy it now offer. Any buyer is welcome to present an offer to me on the item so ebay should message the buyer and tell them to put an offer in. I believe what they are calling a shopping cart is really just items on a useers' watch list. 

Does ebay realize that if a buyer really wanted an item they would either bid or offer. 

Someone please enlighten me on this.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

There have been a few threads on this.  As a test, I'm thiking of tossing a few items in my cart and letting them set, just to see if any sellers bite.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

I got the same msg. anyone have any brilliant ideas, suggestions..??

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

some people don't like making an offer.......they don't like "haggling"......  so a price reduction could spur them into buying.  Presumably, you are willing to lower the price if you have b/o on it........so why not try it?  You could do markdown manager for only a couple of days........

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@flukeman43   LOL!  Got the message on 3 IDs here ... on one they had an item listed that was sold 4 days ago ... what are they trying to do, set me up for an OOS Strike!  I'm a bit too clever for that one!  When my wife read that offer she went bonkers and said "Who does eBay think they are?  I'll decide what prices my items will sell at!  I wish they would stay out of my business!"  Wow, in 3 short sentences she pretty much summed it up didn't she, huh?!?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Put a few in.  Mix of China and US sellers.

We'll see.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@flukeman43wrote:

Does ebay realize that if a buyer really wanted an item they would either bid or offer. 

Someone please enlighten me on this. 

This doesn't apply to auction items, which can't be placed in the cart, so your comment about bidding doesn't apply here.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

When I put stuff in a shopping cart on other websites but do not complete the sale right away those companies do not offer a price reduction at all, they just keep it in a cart for a day or so then delete. When I put things in my cart at the grocery store then get to the register and change my mind on one or two, they do not offer a price reduction so I will still buy them. What a useless concept here on eBay.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

So why would ebay send me an email message and suggest I lower the price for the person who has my item in their cart???????????????????

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@flukeman43

@flukeman43wrote:

When I put stuff in a shopping cart on other websites but do not complete the sale right away those companies do not offer a price reduction at all, they just keep it in a cart for a day or so then delete. When I put things in my cart at the grocery store then get to the register and change my mind on one or two, they do not offer a price reduction so I will still buy them. What a useless concept here on eBay.

Am I imaging things or are there still issues with the Shopping cart in conjunction with Immediate Payment required?  Seems there were a few threads on the Cart not working.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Our company sells on average 200 items per day - I like the idea.  If a 5% reduction in price is going to move an item of mine, DONE!

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@flukeman43wrote:

So why would ebay send me an email message and suggest I lower the price for the person who has my item in their cart???????????????????

If it's an auction listing, the item ISN'T in anyone's cart unless the auction ended with a winner. And you obviously don't lower the price in that case.

The messages are for FIXED PRICE listings.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@flukeman43wrote:

Because they think having in the cart shows more interest than just being a watcher.........and lowering the price MAY inspire them to buy..............        They are just offerring you another selling/marketing technique that may or may not work for you....  I really don't understand why people are so het up about this...........

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Are these emails only going to store owners?  It seems like a targeted markdown manger option if so.  I haven't gotten one on my non-store ID, so I just wondered.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@fern*woodwrote:

Are these emails only going to store owners?  It seems like a targeted markdown manger option if so.  I haven't gotten one on my non-store ID, so I just wondered.

No, I got them; I don't have a store.

The only help I could use from eBay right now is help locating more inventory.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply