cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipped a USPS 1st Class with the new shipping label program this morning.

The “ship by date” shown was wrong by 2 days. It shows ship by September 28th when it should have shown September 26th.

This statement on the right side of the page is misleading:

“Make sure your label is clearly visible, and that there is no tape over any barcodes.”

New sellers may construe this as to not using any clear tape over the barcode to protect the barcode from moisture or scratching.

It printed the “smaller size ” label which is OK.

Over all the new shipping label system was usable for USPS 1st Class Package. No Problems. 

2018-09-26.png

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

@calntom wrote:

This statement on the right side of the page is misleading:

“Make sure your label is clearly visible, and that there is no tape over any barcodes.”

New sellers may construe this as to not using any clear tape over the barcode to protect the barcode from moisture or scratching.

I tape over barcodes all the time and have never had a problem.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

@calntom wrote: ... This statement on the right side of the page is misleading:

New sellers may construe this as to not using any clear tape over the barcode to protect the barcode from moisture or scratching....

That's poor advice, and contrary to what is stated by USPS carriers who post on this board.  I'll take their advice rather than some eBay's staffer's!

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

This morning I printed a FCM label as well. Not a fan of the new shipping label page. The old page suits me better.

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

@*coins wrote:

I tape over barcodes all the time and have never had a problem.

Isn't that advice to NOT tape over a bar code sound advice IF OP is not using clear tape? innocent   Kinda obvious, but......laughing

But looks like the suggestion to tape over the bar code with clear tape and to avoid damge is a good idea that might be implemented with my shipping labels!   Nice to know that USPS says they can scan through the clear tape.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

The only suggestion I have about the dates you mentioned is that it might be possible that you have a 2 day handling time and printed the label earlier than what you stated in the listing.

As far as taping over the tracking code.  We have done this for about 2 years without even the first issue in doing this.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

I just updated my Stamps.com software and reauthorized third party access to my eBay account. I also funded my Stamps.com account for the next month.

The day that eBay forces that new Shipping Label abomination on me is the day I begin purchasing ALL my labels on Stamps.com

I will NOT beta test their abysmal programming on MY dime.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 7 of 34
latest reply

I'm not new and have shipped over ten thousand packages, but I've never taped over the bar codes.  I took that message to heart that it meant any tape.  I guess I thought it might be shiny/reflective or something and mess up the scanning somehow.Smiley Embarassed

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@calntom wrote: ... This statement on the right side of the page is misleading:

New sellers may construe this as to not using any clear tape over the barcode to protect the barcode from moisture or scratching....

That's poor advice, and contrary to what is stated by USPS carriers who post on this board.  I'll take their advice rather than some eBay's staffer's!

It's not from an eBay staffer, it's from USPS. Some of these links are old but I did find one from 2018 with the same info.

“Attach the return label squarely onto the largest side of the mailpiece, centered when possible. Place the label at least one inch from any edge of the parcel, so that it does not fold over to another side. Do not put any tape over any barcodes on the label.”

https://postalpro.usps.com/mnt/glusterfs/2018-03/PUB199IMPB_ImpGuide_January2018_v16_030118.pdf

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22320/html/updt_001.htm

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2007/html/pb22206/onlinekit.5.3.html

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2007/html/pb22200/pb8kitt_010.html

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2002/html/pb22085/kit.html

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fern*wood wrote:

I'm not new and have shipped over ten thousand packages, but I've never taped over the bar codes.  I took that message to heart that it meant any tape.  I guess I thought it might be shiny/reflective or something and mess up the scanning somehow.Smiley Embarassed

That is exactly what it meant. Today the scanners are more advanced and usually don't have a problem reading a barcode with clear tape, but several years ago it was an issue.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote: 
It's not from an eBay staffer, it's from USPS. Some of these links are old but I did find one from 2018 with the same info.

You might also notice that the same warning appears to this day in SHRIEKING CAPITALS as Step 1 of the instructions on the shipping labels printed via eBay/PayPal: "DO NOT TAPE OVER BARCODE."

Me, I just split the difference, and tape over the bottom half of the barcode when taping the label down around all four edges, plus another strip across the middle to protect the printed address and return address from water or other damage. That way, if the inkjet-printed label gets wet and smears, the vital parts will still be legible (and scannable).

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

I agree I thought it meant not to tape over the bar code but be faster and easier if didn't have to worry about it also I have had trouble before with barcode so added protection sounds great to me thanks for the tip 

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

That way, if the inkjet-printed label gets wet and smears, the vital parts will still be legible (and scannable).

Just an FYI ... Just now tested a self-adhesive (no tape needed) thermal printer label for water smearing ... 10  minutes soaked in water and even ran my finger over the bar code a few times. Looks like it's pretty water resistant.

WetLabel.jpg

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Thermal printers don't use ink.  No ink, no smears.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

@oatreasure wrote:

Thermal printers don't use ink.  No ink, no smears.

... and no tape required either. slight_smile

Message 15 of 34
latest reply