cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent buyer item per USPS. USPS lost package, no insurance, am I obligated to refund buyer?

Not sure I want to search all over ebay, so here it goes.

A buyer bought an item from me for around $90. I wrapped it up and sent

the item via USPS 1st class mail, then provided the buyer with a tracking no.

It has been a little over 1 month, the tracking no. still shows they have the package, but they cannot find it. I have filed a case which was cancelled by the PO who would have received it in MN, but when I went back to my PO, they said it shows it was scanned, but never left my town. It still shows that they have it, but I have done everything I can and I believe someone stole the item. 

The buyer is asking for a full refund. I told them that I would split it 50/50 with them because I fulfilled my obligation and it was the PO that had his item.

He indicated he talked with ebay and he wanted a full refund. I also note that he waited about 33 days before filing for a refund. What is my obligation to give the buyer a refund. I feel like I was generous offering half because once it is at the post Office, I should not be held responsible for it's delivery, especially if the buyer did not buy insurance. What are all of your thoughts? $90 is a big hit for me.

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: Sent buyer item per USPS. USPS lost package, no insurance, am I obligated to refund buyer?

Don't blame the institution. This is completely on you. Because you made the decision to save a few bucks sending it Uninsured 1st Class, your decision this time came with consequences. If you can't afford to lose $90, then buy insurance. Insurance is for the seller, not the buyer.

Message 46 of 62
latest reply

Re: Sent buyer item per USPS. USPS lost package, no insurance, am I obligated to refund buyer?

I know I "self insure". I used to get insurance on the really expensive stuff.... stuff over 1k. But I have NEVER had a loss. I've probably sold over 200k here. I've probably paid out a few hundred bucks (if that) for things that were "delayed" long enough in the mail that I was not certain they were going to show, but did...... eventually.

Message 47 of 62
latest reply

I package everything well. I add an extra tape strip across the back of the padded envelope to make sure it is sealed well. I print out my label and yes, I tape it completely onto the package, then I add a last piece that goes across the label and around the package. I believe this is out and out theft. Packages should not just disappear. It has been looked for numerous times and the attitude of the postal employees has been, "oh well, we looked, it was scanned and never left here, but we can't find it, maybe it will show up sooner or later". So be it. If it was taken, that person will live with that on their conscience. If it is stuck somewhere and delivered, I asked the seller to forward back the $ if he was to do the right thing. It's all good now. It is what it is. I understand I need to follow ebay's rules and people have pointed that out. Learned a few things along the way, so thanks all.

Message 48 of 62
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@tools* wrote:

If $90 is a lot of money to you, you should have spent $1 to insure the package.

USPS insurance would have been $2.85.

Most private insurance is $1 per $100 and they actually pay for damage, not just lost packages.

Message 49 of 62
latest reply

Thanks I was wrong on that 60 days.  But he should have the post office do a search.  I had to have my post office do that on a 1st class package.  2 full weeks after it was mailed (to one state over) there were still no scans.  Basically they just started calling each stop along the route.  Somehow the package magically showed up then.  I wonder when it would have showed up if a search was started.

Message 50 of 62
latest reply

I am sorry to hear of your plight. I am going through the same type of thing right now, however I am the buyer. In my experience with purchases over the past year, the USPS was reliable up until the election was over. Then everything went to H**l. I am still waiting on 4 different items from the USPS and three haven't moved from their point of origin for 7 days now, while the fourth package hasn't moved for a full month now. All I can say it that the USPS needs a serious overhaul. Please be advised that even with insurance, only damage is covered. Lost packages are not.

Message 51 of 62
latest reply

That's not true,  https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

This is an oldddddddd thread but looking at what was sold,  price amount if I was selling the item I would have shipped it insured and not with "economy shipping".  Every once in a while the post office will lose a package and you have to eat it,  just make sure if it's too dear to you that you insure it so the blame can be properly assigned.  Some of these comments assigning the blame to the OP that some how it was his fault.  His only fault is not insuring it to protect number 1.  The post office has quite a cast of total idiots working for them who are not qualified to even be a broom technician.  They've definitely changed over the years since the time they used to run commercials about delivering for you.  It's the post office's responsibility to get the package to your buyer,  NOT YOU.  Just hold them accountable with a proper contract(insurance).  

Message 52 of 62
latest reply

According to a lot of members who reply here. “ All Buyers Know The USPS is Backed Up with Orders and Shouldn’t Question the Seller” Makes me Laugh. All buyers are filling claims to get their money back plus the item that will be delivered in 5 or 6 weeks. Say your sorry issue a refund and spend 15 dollars on a interception on usps to get your item back and be ready for a neg feedback.

Message 53 of 62
latest reply

File a intercept with the post office. The buyers aren’t stupid and know they can get the item plus their money back.

Message 54 of 62
latest reply

Most likely not stolen but sitting in a mail box truck at one of the post office hubs waiting to get delivered.

Message 55 of 62
latest reply

Their not losing packages, they are way behind in delivery. Backed up at hubs all over the country. Using fed ex might help but you will pay more and fed ex uses the post office to help them deliver their packages.

Message 56 of 62
latest reply

100% Correct!

Message 57 of 62
latest reply

DEAR EBAY SELLERS, USE INSURANCE OPTION FOR YOUR BUYERS, PLEASE!!!!!!

IT WIL SAVE PROBLEMS FOR BOTH OF US SINCE USPS IS A BIG JOKE

A BUYER

Message 58 of 62
latest reply

First off, buyers can request insurance. I don't know what world you live in, but it's the same with anywhere you order something from. It's the reason why shipping is often payed for by the buyer. This **bleep** list of "facts" is norhing more than how you feel. I assume you are just a buyer and not a business owner. No, according to eBays user agreements, as a seller, you are NOT required to refund an item once you have provided tracking. This person can literally just drop the same tracking number in the refund request to remove the hold. They might be left a negative review but that would be because they didn't work it out with the buyer. Morality lmfao get outta here.

Message 59 of 62
latest reply

This was meant to be just ramblings, but I sent it before I could finish lol. The issue I see here is that eBay clearly does not care about the seller. Still. It's the same as any company that does not show their appreciation or know the importance of their own employees. I have refunded every single order that was lost mid shipment, why? Because of the 30 day policy, and the reviews. The buyer has 30 days to file for a refund to be backed by eBay. The truly moralistic ideology should be that the buyer and seller work it out in a way that considers both parties. The seller didn't force the buyer to order from them. The buyer could have requested insurance, but yes I believe you are right that is on the seller. Then again, the buyer knew it wasn't insured. Do you get my point here? People can ramble about this all they want, the fact is, it's just how this system works. You just gotta deal with it unfortunately, or not. Hopefully someday they make some changes to help protect sellers. Fortunately MOST buyers are very reasonable people. Every so often though... sheeeeesh

Message 60 of 62
latest reply