cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent buyer item per USPS. USPS lost package, no insurance, am I obligated to refund buyer?

Not sure I want to search all over ebay, so here it goes.

A buyer bought an item from me for around $90. I wrapped it up and sent

the item via USPS 1st class mail, then provided the buyer with a tracking no.

It has been a little over 1 month, the tracking no. still shows they have the package, but they cannot find it. I have filed a case which was cancelled by the PO who would have received it in MN, but when I went back to my PO, they said it shows it was scanned, but never left my town. It still shows that they have it, but I have done everything I can and I believe someone stole the item. 

The buyer is asking for a full refund. I told them that I would split it 50/50 with them because I fulfilled my obligation and it was the PO that had his item.

He indicated he talked with ebay and he wanted a full refund. I also note that he waited about 33 days before filing for a refund. What is my obligation to give the buyer a refund. I feel like I was generous offering half because once it is at the post Office, I should not be held responsible for it's delivery, especially if the buyer did not buy insurance. What are all of your thoughts? $90 is a big hit for me.

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sent buyer item per USPS. USPS lost package, no insurance, am I obligated to refund buyer?

Here is the cold hard truth: 

The buyer is asking for a full refund. I told them that I would split it 50/50 with them
The buyer is guaranteed a full refund by eBay. No buyer in his right mind would voluntarily give you $45 in order to not get the item he ordered. 

I fulfilled my obligation

No, you didn't. Your obligation is to deliver the item tot eh buyer. You are the one who chose to offer the USPS as a shipping option, and you are the one who contracted with the USPS to deliver the item on your behalf. While it may not be your fault, it is still your responsibility. 

I also note that he waited about 33 days before filing for a refund.

The fact that the buyer gave you and the USPS the benefit of the doubt and was willing to wait such a long time should be considered a credit to the buyer, not a criticism. 

What is my obligation to give the buyer a refund.

You are 100% obligated to refund, both by the eBay user agreement and by a sense of morality. 

I feel like I was generous offering half because once it is at the post Office, I should not be held responsible

What you feel you should not be responsible for is entirely beside the point. What you agreed to in the eBay user agreement when you chose to sell here is what matters.  

especially if the buyer did not buy insurance. 

Sellers buyer insurance, not buyers. And insirance protects the seller, not the buyer. 

$90 is a big hit for me

There is a risk of loss or fraud with every single eBay transaction. It is up to the seller to assess his own tolerance for risk and decide whether he is willing to accept the risk of loss or fraud that comes with selling on eBay. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 33 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

I also faced a same experience. Finally I had to refund the buyer. I know the $90 is a big amount. You can make a complain with Shipping Company. It depends on the regulations of your shipping company. Sometimes they will Ok to insure your package.

thanks.

Message 2 of 62
latest reply

So, a couple of things:

As a seller, you are indeed responsible for delivery of anything you sell. That delivery is confirmed by the courier's tracking indicating the item has been delivered to the "ship to" address the buyer used at checkout.

Message 3 of 62
latest reply

The buyer can open an Item Not Received claim one day past the Estimated Delivery Date on the order. (Your 'little over one month/33 days' is not enough info to determine that.) If they've opened a case, and you can't prove it delivered... then, yes, you owe the buyer a full refund.

The seller is charged with delivery of the item... the buyer owes nothing for that error. I don't know that you have a way of recovering from USPS if it was shipped First Class/no insurance, either.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

Message 4 of 62
latest reply

eBay's buyer protection policy is called the "Money back guarantee." If the buyer doesn't receive the item, they are entitled to a full refund.  The seller's only protection against this is a delivery scan which shows that the package was delivered.  This buyer protection expires 30 days after the latest estimated delivery date, so it's possible that your buyer has waited a little bit too long..

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 5 of 62
latest reply

Obvious question - why did you not add insurance on your 1st Class package worth $90?  Did you request a package search from the USPS?  Maybe your buyer can be talked into waiting awhile longer.  My recent experience with the post office is they are not doing all the scans at distribution locations - probably due to lack of personnel and the mail-in ballots - but that doesn't mean the package isn't traveling.  Be sure to inform your buyer that he has up to 2 months to make a claim through ebay.  

Message 6 of 62
latest reply

The buyer does not have 2 months to file his claim; he has 30 days after the latest estimated delivery date.  

Yes USPS deliveries have been affected recently but still a full month for a First Class package is outside the reasonable waiting period, especially since the slelr's Post office says it never left their town.

Message 7 of 62
latest reply

I have done everything right on this. That is a totally **bleep** policy from EBAY.

If I can show I mailed it, but the post office loses the package (most likely stolen as it was a small 3 x 5 padded envelope), and they show that it never left their bldg. AND the buyer did not buy insurance, WHY am I responsible for the buyers refund?

I have no control over the item once it leaves my hands. As I have heard and said a million times, Ebay needs to protect their seller base too.

Message 8 of 62
latest reply

Yep, Ebay sucks for protecting the seller from USPS shangans... for long USPS/ebay  wont have any customers if they keep this **bleep** up

Message 9 of 62
latest reply

You're responsible 100%. It's not your fault.....but you're responsible none the less. Don't confuse fault with being responsible.

What would you expect if you bought something and never received it? Would you think getting no item and half your money back is fair?

VintageCarMagazines

Message 10 of 62
latest reply

Usps IS STILL MELTING DOWN folks. The likelihood of them loosing your packages is still very high. With the Christmas surge, it will most likely get worse. I no longer use USPS for anything here now. Totally FED EX.

Message 11 of 62
latest reply

eBAY cannot prevent a refund from happening on an item that was mishandled by USPS lost, stolen etc. That is why you have to buy insurance for yourself to protect you from this. Do  not use USPS now. They loose a lot of stuff and they still have delays in their services. 

Message 12 of 62
latest reply

@rockcrafter wrote:

AND the buyer did not buy insurance, WHY am I responsible for the buyers refund?

The buyer doesn't have to buy insurance, seller does.

The buyer has Ebay's MBG to cover them.

You're responsible because the buyer didn't receive their item.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 62
latest reply

Even if you say the buyer waited longer than a month to ask for a refund, the buyer most likely used a charge card to pay for the purchase and has 180 days to do a charge back and you are going to give a full refund that way, plus if it went through paypal I think there are additional charges. I never ship anything over $50 without insurance if it is a small, larger things go priority and you automatically get $100 worth of insurance through Ebay labels.

Message 14 of 62
latest reply

Good Luck with USPS with excuses delays package search blah blah.

Phone full of excuses no help.

I'm done with them. Same boat as me good luck.

This place here will not cover for USPS delays either.

Message 15 of 62
latest reply