cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling expensive designer clothing?

I haven't sold in ebay for a while as I'm aware of how pro-buyer ebay became and sellers have essentially no protection from scams. I'm now selling on another website where I'm selling very expensive designer clothing. I protect myself by videotapping on my phone, in one uninterrupted take, me packing the item at the post office and handing off the item to the post office employee. Would this protect myself on ebay if a buyer claims he or she received an empty box?  Or, is it just too risky to sell very expensive items on ebay?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It would not protect you. Only you can determine the level of risk that you are comfortable with.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Nope! It won't mean a hill o' beans to ebay if you have videos or any other substantial proof. Buyer word is law here.

I would never sell high end  expensive items here unless you can make up the losses by volume. What a wild ride that would be though, huh.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@rocktherunway2000 wrote:

I haven't sold in ebay for a while as I'm aware of how pro-buyer ebay became and sellers have essentially no protection from scams. I'm now selling on another website where I'm selling very expensive designer clothing. I protect myself by videotapping on my phone, in one uninterrupted take, me packing the item at the post office and handing off the item to the post office employee. Would this protect myself on ebay if a buyer claims he or she received an empty box?  Or, is it just too risky to sell very expensive items on ebay?

It wouldn't protect you at all no matter where you sell. Nobody is ever going to watch your video so it's a complete waste of time and energy.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Agree with the above, but I will say that one hears and reads about the few bad stories and not about the large majority positive, smooth transactions.  High end designer stuff is sold here all the time but the most successful sellers are those with extensive knowledge of what they sell, and I do know a couple who have a clientele here.  So, given that it's a speciality of yours I think it would be worth sticking your toe in again - just make sure you update yourself on best practices here, since its been a while.  Try perhaps with some of the items you perceive as lower risk.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hi, i have had successful transactions selling high end clothes and accessories here. In ten years of selling, i have never encountered fraud or attempted fraud. As @chapeau-noir said, we rarely hear about the successes in the forum. We know fraud happens, but many scammers go for the easy marks—new sellers with high dollar electronics, jewelry, etc. 

Do be aware if you have been away for awhile that you might get limitations on your account in terms of how much dollar-wise or how many you can sell. Hope not, but it is a possibility.

Wish you all the best in your return and many successful sales! 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You just never know. Some people can sell expensive items on here and do fine with no problems and others have nothing but problems, IT really is becoming a gamble to sell here . Me personally i dont sell high end items here not enough protection for sellers. you could start with a few and see what happens.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

If the buyer signed a written confession stating that their intention was to scam you and get a refund AND get to keep the product for free, eBay would still refund the buyer and punish you. 

How safe is it to sell high end clothing on eBay?

It's like selling on Craigslist, but imagine you have to send the anonymous buyer the product first, and you can only hope that they will pay you and not scam you. 

That's how safe it is.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@rocktherunway2000 wrote:

I protect myself by videotapping on my phone, in one uninterrupted take, me packing the item at the post office and handing off the item to the post office employee. Would this protect myself on ebay if a buyer claims he or she received an empty box?

when you say you "protect yourself", are you saying that you have actually used one of these videotapes on another site to win a claim against you?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply