cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Assistance

Considering bringing someone on board to assist with item listing tasks, i.e. photography, item detail entry, shipping. Want to focus my efforts on locating appropriate items, and leave these responsibilities to someone else.

Any ideas on how to find an appropriate person for this task? 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Selling Assistance

Old saw: "If you want it done right, do it yourself." Suggest that you do it yourself in the beginning and only hire helpers when it is obvious that your volume is too great for you to do it alone. If you're going to supervise an employee, you have to be able to do his job as well. I handle all aspects of my ebay selling, and I have done so for over sixteen years.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

There's eBay valet that can do everything, except sourcing and paying fees associated to listing, for you. But consider the pros and cons in any undertaking. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

You would also need to consider how hiring an assistant will cut into any profit.  AFAIK,  many sellers do it all, all by themselves.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

This is why I had children. 🙂

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@ripcityresell wrote:

LOVE it!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

While there are some success stories from people who try to say something to the effect of:

"If I can just triple the number of different items I sell, I will triple my profits.  So if I used to make $4000 profit a month I will now make $12,000.  If I pay an assistant $3,000 a month out of those profits to handle the backend stuff, then I'm still making $9000 a month which is $5000 more then I was before!"

Sounds like a no-brainer, right???

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work out for a wide variety of reasons.    

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@ripcityresell wrote:

LOVE it!!!!Smiley Very Happy

In all seriousness, I get them to do minor stuff like pulling my orders and printing stuff out to get ready for shipping.

One time my youngest son (12) was helping me and I said "Someday, this could all be yours." Without a beat, he said "Does it have to be?" I said "Fine, I'll give it to your sister!" And I heard her yell from the other room "What if I don't want it?"

LOL

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

What would you identify as the main reason why it doesn't?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

If the item does not sell, the person doing all that work still needs to be paid. 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

The assistant will probably make mistakes, which will cost you money.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

If the item does not sell, the person doing all that work still needs to be paid. 

I used to pay my Aunt to list postcards for me. I paid her per listing. There were months when she made twice what I did because she got paid even if something didn't sell.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Exactly!

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

So you want to do the fun and easy stuff and leave the responsibilities and boring stuff to someone else. Wish i could find a job like that.  I think there are alot of sellers sitting on extra inventory because they like the thrill of the hunt versus the listing part, i know i'm one of them

Main problem is if you pick the wrong person they can totally sink and end your selling career here for good rather fast too. by the time you realize they are not shipping out timely or at all, wrapping properly, using or taking bad pictures,  etc. it might be to late to fix it.

REMEMBER YOUR REPUTATION IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY EVEN IF YOU PAWN IT OFF ON SOMEONE ELSE.

To gaurantee a long selling career here, i would keep the responsibilities under my own control. 

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@civlade13 wrote:

Considering bringing someone on board to assist with item listing tasks, i.e. photography, item detail entry, shipping. Want to focus my efforts on locating appropriate items, and leave these responsibilities to someone else.

Any ideas on how to find an appropriate person for this task? 

I would look for a student who might like some part time work. Maybe someone doing writing  courses, journalism. You could post at local  communty colleges, universities. Depending on what you're selling, you could select someone who is studying areas that suit your item.

Maybe someone in marketing would be good also.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply