cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers who use "make offer", I have a question...

Buy it now price: $14

My offer: $10 - declined 

Sellers counter offer: $13 - declined

My counter offer: $12 - declined

Sellers counter offer: $13 again - declined

Why would the seller counter back at the SAME PRICE?

Why does ebay even let that happen?  You shouldn't be able to counter back at the same price, should you?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 1 of 61
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The second offer @ $13 allows you to buy it at that price. After you declined the first offer your only option would be full price. That is the best reason to offer the same discount a second time.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 43 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Why not? $13 is obviously their bottom price. I would have been nice if they just told you that though.

Message 2 of 61
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Why would the seller counter back at the SAME PRICE?

No big mystery...I just figure that's as low as they can or are willing to go & that's what they're telling you ...not a big discount, but still something.

Message 3 of 61
latest reply

He probably considered that reasonable and a polite way to get rid of you.

Message 4 of 61
latest reply

I guess that you could have hit you back at $12.99 or $13.01, but that would have prolonged the agony.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 5 of 61
latest reply

If he's going to keep counter offering me $13 .... then i'm going to keep counter offering him $12.   Eventually one of us will give up.    haha

Message 6 of 61
latest reply

Some sellers don't consider eBay a game. Really good chance that this one is going to decline any further offers and immediately do a BBL. I would.

Message 7 of 61
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

If he's going to keep counter offering me $13 .... then i'm going to keep counter offering him $12.   Eventually one of us will give up.    haha

I don't know how your finances are, and maybe $1 is a big deal.

The way I see it, my time is too valuable to be haggling for pennies. I don't even bother using make offer most of the time because for the petty discount I might get I'll have wasted a lot of time when I could be busy buying the item and having it arrive sooner.

I don't make offers on items, but I do "send and offer" to watchers, and I try to give a fair discount. It might be 10% if my margins are tight, it might be 20% to make it look attractive to the potential buyer, and maybe 30% if I really want to get rid of it because I've had it for years (and I'm too busy to constantly be fixing my prices).

As for being on the receiving end of buyers who make offers to me (instead of watching and me getting around to sending them an offer), I will generally accept almost any offer I see, as the ones I won't consider don't even come into my inbox. (My time is too valuable to be constantly figuring out my margins to accept or decline offers, I figure that out once when I set it up in the listing). If I counter or decline an offer I actually see, it's because something has changed since I set it up (like silver price increase, or we are now paying more for that type of item). And perhaps I just rethought it after I set it up.

C.

Message 8 of 61
latest reply

To the OP - I can't believe you are even using Make an Offer on something as inexpensive as a $14 item.

As a seller, I won't even put Make an Offer on any item less than $25, it is not worth my time or yours (the buyer) to haggle over such a small amount, not worth my time to pack and ship an item that cheap. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 9 of 61
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote:

Some sellers don't consider eBay a game. Really good chance that this one is going to decline any further offers and immediately do a BBL. I would.

It's the SELLER coming back to me with he same offer.  I put in my best offer and it was declined. I'm done. I'm not going to keep offering him the same amount that he already declined. 

Message 10 of 61
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

I don't know how your finances are, and maybe $1 is a big deal.

What do my finances have to do with anything?  If i'm wealthy, don't haggle, just pay it? You have to draw the line somewhere ... weather your buying a pack of gum or a new house.  

Message 11 of 61
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

To the OP - I can't believe you are even using Make an Offer on something as inexpensive as a $14 item.

As a seller, I won't even put Make an Offer on any item less than $25, it is not worth my time or yours (the buyer) to haggle over such a small amount, not worth my time to pack and ship an item that cheap. 

I can't believe someone would pay the buy it now price when the seller accepts offers REGARDLESS OF THE PRICE OF THE ITEM. 

Message 12 of 61
latest reply

You're holding out for $1 discount?   $1 ?

bbl

Message 13 of 61
latest reply

You shouldn't be able to counter back at the same price, should you?

-------------------------------------------

Yes you should, because a counter back at the same price can work, I have personal experience of this phenomenon.

Message 14 of 61
latest reply

Madison, you are a genius!  That was the whole point of my post!

It turned in to me being a cheap SOB for making an offer on a $14 item.

Apparently if i'm in good financial condition, i should have just paid the $14. 

Message 15 of 61
latest reply