cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers responsibility for stolen package

I sold and shipped an expensive pair of shoes. Usps tracking states delivered at door. Buyer never received the package. Am I the shipper responsible to refund buyer his money? Even though I did my part and shipped. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

What was the dollar amount involved?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

If it was marked delivered, your responsibility ends
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

No you are not responsible. The buyer should go to the PO and get the GPS location of where the package was delivered...

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@micafierr wrote:

I sold and shipped an expensive pair of shoes. Usps tracking states delivered at door. Buyer never received the package. Am I the shipper responsible to refund buyer his money? Even though I did my part and shipped. 

And if he ever opens a case for item not received, upload the tracking and call and ask them to close the case while you remain on the phone.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

What was the dollar amount involved?

Glad you asked. I took a look; They were under $700. I would have used sig con anyway, but it wasn’t required.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Depends on if the OP ever comes back,but they are might be getting set up for a ebay clipping...

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

"Delivered at door" does not mean the package was stolen. It might have been delivered to the wrong door, even the wrong address entirely. Either you or the buyer can contact USPS and find out where the delivery scan took place. GPS pinpoints the precise location. Possibly the mail carrier scanned the package but didn't even deliver it. Or used the wrong status, maybe meant to use "notice left."

No, you are not responsible unless you sent the package to the wrong address. Did the buyer provide a current, correct and complete address?

If you and the buyer agree on the address, then the buyer should ask his/her mail carrier where the package was placed. Front door? Side door? Garage door? Neighbor? Same house number, different street?

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Depends on if the OP ever comes back, but they are might be getting set up for a ebay clipping...

The OP has started at least one other thread on this same topic...

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I have a buyer claim ing their package never arrived and that it was likely stolen, and they've opened a case. I uploaded tracking information that shows it was delivered to her front porch and she confirmed the address was correct. This was a few days ago, and the case hasn't cleared. Should I go ahead and call EBay?
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I wouldn't do anything. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@krisb_32 wrote:
I have a buyer claim ing their package never arrived and that it was likely stolen, and they've opened a case. I uploaded tracking information that shows it was delivered to her front porch and she confirmed the address was correct. This was a few days ago, and the case hasn't cleared. Should I go ahead and call EBay?

Only if you want to expedite the process.

There is an automated system to handle INRs when you call.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Like the mills of the gods, the Resolution Centre grinds slowly but it grinds exceeding fine.

At each step, the process allows time for each party in the transaction to respond.

Have you contacted the seller directly (eBay Messages to keep all the communication aboveboard) ?

You should express sympathy, and ask them if they have questioned other household members who may have put it in a safe place where it couldn't possibly get lost, asked the neighbours if they took it in for their security (mantelpiece mail), asked at the local PO counter if they have it because sometimes carriers will mark something delivered before they actually deliver.

If they still can't find it they should be adamant about making a formal theft report to the postmaster, who may be able to use it in the larger investigation. And given the value, a police report too.

I'm starting to wonder if all these news reports about porch pirates are encouraging false reports  and/or encouraging criminals to take up a new low risk MO.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I bought an item once and the post office said it was delivered, but not to my address. The seller asked if I was happy with my purchase and I told him I never got it because the post office delivered it somewhere else. To make a long story short, the seller's girlfriend was a postal inspector who called my PO and jumped all over them. They actually tracked down my pacakge, somehow got it back and delivered it to me. I was amazed.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

If you have tracking that shows delivery, you are covered.

Buyer needs to check with neighbors, her family, and in and around her house.  She can also check with her local PO who can use GPS to determine that it was delivered to the right house.

If she opens a case, just enter the tracking number into it; you can call Ebay CS and ask them to close the case.  

Message 15 of 21
latest reply