cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers must offer at lest 5% discount when making an offer to a Buyer - a new restriction

Not that that option ever worked to get a sale (honestly, waste of time, but I still was sending, so I knew I was using tools provided - not a single sale after maybe 200 offers sent), but until today`s afternoon, the price you are offering to a buyer must be at least 5% less the original price, otherwise you won`t be able to send an offer.

The percentage was not restricted before, and you could send any % off below the original selling price. More restrictions, that`s all. 

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Sellers must offer at lest 5% discount when making an offer to a Buyer - a new restriction

@pburn wrote:
Kind of pointless to send an offer that's 1% or 2% or 3% or 4% off the original price, isn't it? That really would be a waste of time for both you and the potential buyer. If you were making that kind of offer, it's not surprising you didn't get any sales from those 200 offers.

As a buyer, I use "Best Offer" quite often. I offer about 20% less than the listed price. My offers are accepted about 95% of the time.

I think I have a 1/3 acceptance rate. Often when they aren't accepted, the price was too high and the offer doesn't put it low enough to be a good deal. Or they are competitors and not buying anyway. I'm happy if 1/3 of my offers result in sales.

C.

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

@kataggr-44 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.  I personally do not like sellers contacting me if I watch their item.  That used to be anonymous.  Instead why not just mark your price down.  Watchers and non watchers alike will see it.

In a word, psychology. I have tried marking prices down, and that doesn't work, it just becomes the new regular price they want a deal on.

I now post with my list price and if a buyer shows interest, I send an offer. if they complain (which has happened) I help them with opting out so they don't get any more offers.

C.

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

@kataggr-44 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.  I personally do not like sellers contacting me if I watch their item.  That used to be anonymous.  Instead why not just mark your price down.  Watchers and non watchers alike will see it.

Still anonymous.  Sellers still can't see who watchers are the offers just are sent to the watchers. The seller doesn't know who is watching unless someone accepts that offer 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 33 of 36
latest reply

I have sent best offers to plenty of sellers over the years. Some sellers are more stingy than others. I remember one person would only go down a few cents at most. Like what's point of having a best offer if you will only go down less than a $1 lol. And plenty of sellers who will deny you instead of countering. I like to haggle, but i guess some people don't. Oh well. lol

And lastly the seller who will just ignore any offer you send and let them expire. 

I think this year i have had more luck with people being more flexible than i ever had in the past. 

I attempted a few times over the years to add best offers on my own listings but i never had great results. Most people never sent offers. Very very few so i hardly use it anymore. Just on occasion. 

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

I would be more than willing to make counter offers greater than 5%, but I never get any best offers in the first place!  Why don't people make offers???

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

I think 5% is more than fair. When i list something it's usually the same price or $1 less than the lowest for sale. And when i see that people are either watching my item or have it in their cart i'll sometimes lower it $1 or so. On average i sell items in the $10-20 range and 5% is 50 cents to a dollar for that price range. so that works perfect. But i'll admit i have yet to use the option to send a buyer a best offer. I kind of feel weird about it like i'm invading their privacy.
Message 36 of 36
latest reply