cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers beware when purchasing g shipping labels through eBay. I’m done with horrible treatment

I’ll start by saying I’ve been selling on here for over 24 years!!! Yes, about as long as eBay has been around and I’ve never been so disappointed/frustrated/angry than I have now. 
      To try and make the short here is what has happened. I sold a fragile item to someone and knowing that it was fragile, I paid full insurance with FedEx through the eBay shipping label. This was approximately $89 and some change that it cost me. The buyer said the item was broken when they received it after we packaged it extremely well and took pictures before sending. Buyer sent pictures of where the box was crushed on one end which would explain why one part was broken during the shipment. We did what was right and fully refunded to the buyer. Now I am out not only the price of the item but also the money we paid for insurance because eBay and FedEx refused to acknowledge our claim. Each says the other is responsible. Meanwhile I’ve  been  here for 24 years and I’m  the one left with nothing.

i’ve been on loyal seller  and have never had the treatment like I’ve had over this issue. So I am moving on to look into other ways to sell. Just want to give a warning to other sellers you may want to not use eBay for your shipping labels especially if it’s a higher priced item.

****fedex says they only bill eBay and I need to get eBay to file the claim….. of which I have tried over and over and over……. And have only gotten the run around 

oh and also to add to it I was told I was protected through seller protection but after months of checking on this eBay decided not to  honor that as well 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Sellers beware when purchasing g shipping labels through eBay. I’m done with horrible treatment

Sorry, but there is no seller protection for items that were damaged  during transit. 

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

Re: Sellers beware when purchasing g shipping labels through eBay. I’m done with horrible treatment

Sorry but I was told I was protected by a supervisor.  employee? 

anywho……  my post was to warn sellers about purchasing their labels through eBay and for the treatment I’ve been given after 24 years of loyalty. Good luck with all of your transactions 

this is MY experience 

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

@clothescall wrote:

Sorry but I was told I was protected by a supervisor.  employee? 

Sorry, they only told you that because that's what you wanted to hear.

About the only protection a seller has is tracking showing the package was delivered.

Have a great day
Message 18 of 40
latest reply

Again…… that’s why I’m warning other sellers and why after 24 years I’m looking at other selling outlets. 

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

@clothescall wrote:

Again…… that’s why I’m warning other sellers and why after 24 years I’m looking at other selling outlets. 

Sorry that this happened to you, but your warning will be seen just mainly by "community regulars" that know what is going to happen, and others that wander in after finding out what you found out☹️

But it is good to be able to vent.

There should be a way that this is handled, but I have no idea how that is done. I use only eBay USPS labels.

Message 20 of 40
latest reply

@clothescall wrote:

As I have been told over and over and over that since I purchased the label through eBay, then eBay has to handle the filing. In the end I have a broken item and am out right at 1450.00 including g the 89.99 o paid. Thus, the WARNING I posted to sellers about purchasing the labels through eBay 

@clothescall 

The benefit of eBay labels are the Commercial discount. Claims are handled between the seller and the contracted carrier.

Message 21 of 40
latest reply

Even well-packaged items can get damaged by the shipping carrier, proper packaging significantly reduces the risk of damage, it's not a guarantee against damage.

Damage can happen for several reasons.

- Mishandling
- Dropping
- Crushing
- Improper loading/unloading

A package I shipped via FedEx was damaged when a rod pierced through the package, exiting the other side. The buyer provided photos of the damaged box and holds FedEx responsible for the damage.

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

I have. I have a friend who refunded a buyer when the item broke in shipment, and he admitted to me it was his fault for not packing it better. He refunded without complaint.

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

Thanks for the warning. I've never used Pirate Ship, but this post has now alerted me that benefit it offers.

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

sorry but i always buy shipping labels from ebay and yes i send many heavy and big item also insured for yrs i realy dont like fed-x but have use it so many yrs and not knowing how to file a claim ( mean u must brush up on that ) where ever you buy the label you need to go stright to the sorce u.p.s , usps or fed-x ebay only sell you the label they cant do anything about anyclaim . most my claims been honored and you have damage box even more proof most of mine was item it self but enogh photos and detail will get you there the hardest is usps insurence so maybe ive been lucky lern how to file on there site cause thats the only way ebay is not responsible for that nor pay-pal nor any other you must go to the main site i learned by goggleing it now its ez -pz wish you luck but be ready if it happen again which i hope it doesnt

here a lil hint if you ever use ups when filling claIM The UPS account number will be the in the beginning of the tracking number. Remove the 1Z then the next 6 digits will be the account number

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

like i told you last time get your info right before you adice other about it 

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

how is the...seller at fault for the packaging?

The Seller did the packaging.

The Seller also chose the shipper.

The Seller is responsible to the buyer.

• The OP promptly refunded the buyer, so that is not part of the problem here.

The Shipper is responsible to the Seller  who purchased their services.

Sorry but I was told I was protected by a supervisor. employee?

Were you in a Chat or on the phone?
Did  you get a transcript which you could use to hold eBay to their employee promise?

The phone reps work for a subcontractor in Utah.

Not for eBay.

That this was a $1400 item makes it even more painful.

Over the past 24 years how often have you had failed transactions? How much over those 24 years have you lost on failed transactions?

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

I wonder if third party insurance is a better bet than buying insurance from a shipper.

Mostly because, short of loss in transit, most seem to refuse to pay up.

And most shippers will only insure to the value of the shipping charge, not the value of the contents.

USPS seems to be pretty good about admitting they screwed up.

We use Hugh Wood International , which specializes in collectibles and collecting. They are the insurers for the American Philatelic Society. Not only insuring their National Exhibitions at which there can be $millions and $millions on public display, but also the circuit books shipped from one collector to another often with thousands of dollars worth of stamps being shipped.

They also insure stock, stock in transit, dealers at shows, collections in homes, etc.

However, they only work with annual contracts. I have heard others say nice things about shipinsure which will insure one offs.

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

LOL what?! Employee? 🤣🤣

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

Was it that pheasant platter? Was it double-boxed? Because if not, it's pretty much guaranteed that they will deny any claim.

Message 30 of 40
latest reply