cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers beware when purchasing g shipping labels through eBay. I’m done with horrible treatment

I’ll start by saying I’ve been selling on here for over 24 years!!! Yes, about as long as eBay has been around and I’ve never been so disappointed/frustrated/angry than I have now. 
      To try and make the short here is what has happened. I sold a fragile item to someone and knowing that it was fragile, I paid full insurance with FedEx through the eBay shipping label. This was approximately $89 and some change that it cost me. The buyer said the item was broken when they received it after we packaged it extremely well and took pictures before sending. Buyer sent pictures of where the box was crushed on one end which would explain why one part was broken during the shipment. We did what was right and fully refunded to the buyer. Now I am out not only the price of the item but also the money we paid for insurance because eBay and FedEx refused to acknowledge our claim. Each says the other is responsible. Meanwhile I’ve  been  here for 24 years and I’m  the one left with nothing.

i’ve been on loyal seller  and have never had the treatment like I’ve had over this issue. So I am moving on to look into other ways to sell. Just want to give a warning to other sellers you may want to not use eBay for your shipping labels especially if it’s a higher priced item.

****fedex says they only bill eBay and I need to get eBay to file the claim….. of which I have tried over and over and over……. And have only gotten the run around 

oh and also to add to it I was told I was protected through seller protection but after months of checking on this eBay decided not to  honor that as well 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Sellers beware when purchasing g shipping labels through eBay. I’m done with horrible treatment

#1) Every seller/shipper since the beginning of time who has had something damaged claims it was packaged adequately.

#2) Ebay has nothing to do with your FedEx damage claim.  You are the shipper.  The claim is between the shipper and the carrier.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 40
latest reply

Re: Sellers beware when purchasing g shipping labels through eBay. I’m done with horrible treatment

This dilemma begs the question....

what 3rd party shipping platform for insurance would/has/will actually respond to a legitimate claim without some sort of run around.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

apparently you do not ship with eBay FedEx labels.

Horror story after horror story here on the boards about problems with "claims" when using the eBay labels for shipping stating the same thing as this seller.  

also,  if a box is crushed....................  how is the (EDIT HERE) (I MEANT SELLER, NOT BUYER)  buyer seller at fault for the packaging? Must everything be shipped in a reinforced steel container?

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Your claim is with FedEx. To my understanding, both FedEx and UPS normally deny the first claim filed on a loss. They expect to weed out a lot of their claim reimbursements this way as most people will not take the time to appeal. So, I would recommend filing an appeal.

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

This is why I refuse to use eBay shipping labels for FedEx or UPS. They always try to say it is not their responsibility and to have eBay deal with. eBay then turns it right back on UPS or FedEx. I strictly use the "Pirate" to ship and I have never had a problem with a UPS damage claim.

I have only had 2 claims for damage and both were handled by Pirate Ship once I refunded the buyers and gave them proof of the refunds. Luckily Pirate Ship doesn't use FedEx but it wouldn't matter as they would be my last choice in shipping anything domestically.

Another option would be to open your own FedEx or UPS account. Then you have the option to deal with them directly instead of going through eBay.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

lso,  if a box is crushed....................  how is the buyer at fault for the packaging? Must everything be shipped in a reinforced steel container?

It may or may not be the carriers fault.

I'm just saying I never heard a seller/shipper say the item wasn't packaged well.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 40
latest reply

@buyselljack2016  Said: also, if a box is crushed.................... how is the buyer at fault for the packaging?

It depends on the details of the transaction. Did the buyer have any input on how the package was shipped?

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

lso,  if a box is crushed....................  how is the buyer at fault for the packaging? Must everything be shipped in a reinforced steel container?

It may or may not be the carriers fault.

I'm just saying I never heard a seller/shipper say the item wasn't packaged well.

For the benefit of new posters that don't know you, locating a sarcasm emoji for some posts would be helpful.  We know most of the time the carriers will deny............... stating inadequate packaging, but again here...............  stated box crushed. OP does not need to be crushed 😊  

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

@zoda99 wrote:

@buyselljack2016  Said: also, if a box is crushed.................... how is the buyer at fault for the packaging?

It depends on the details of the transaction. Did the buyer have any input on how the package was shipped?

No, likely the buyer had no input on the packaging😐

My error in the post that I made. 

I meant to post                      if a box is crushed.................... how is the buyer seller at fault for the packaging?

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

Damage claims are difficult no matter where you got thr label.

Insurance is mainly for lost packages.

A lot of insurance claims require hoops and bringing package to carrier for inspection.

None of these hoops are required for buyers to do. They just want to return for refund.

Some buyers can be nice, but most don't want to waste their time.

So I don't invest any money for damaged insurance claims. Not worth. Better to jar that money on the side for a few that ended up damaged and pay yourself.

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

Well I guess that’s good to know now but eBay should have at least had the decency to follow through with their seller protection of this item. I had a supervisor say she approved this and I’ve only gotten the run around ever since 

again, 24 years of total service on my part and I’m just tired of the treatment. So about the insurance. Ok so then that makes it even more of an issue with eBay instead of  fedex. eBay should honor their seller protection promises. 

I’m done with eBay letting buyers get away with screaming this was wrong etc and it coming out of my pocket. 

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

As I have been told over and over and over that since I purchased the label through eBay, then eBay has to handle the filing. In the end I have a broken item and am out right at 1450.00 including g the 89.99 o paid. Thus, the WARNING I posted to sellers about purchasing the labels through eBay 

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

I have fought this for about 5 months….

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

THIS is a great reply!!! Thanks so much. I’m goi g to look into that while I decide my other selling avenues. Thanks !

Message 15 of 40
latest reply