cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Update! Can eBay do a Sellers Update that Actually Helps Sellers?

So I just came across this post, and thought it was Genius. - 

I have also been selling on ebay for a short 23yrs. Love the Opt-in ideas....

Opt-In for Sellers to Thwart Buyers from taking advantage of eBay should really be looked into.

1)  Opt-in to block buyers with a high % of negative reviews

2) Opt-in to Require Orders to float in background for 1hr - so buyers can cancel if need, without the angry messages ("i told you to cancel it') after the fact. We are being pressured to send out items in 1day not 2days for Top Rated Status, which should be (rebooted soon) Covid really messed this up.

3) Opt-in to not allow (buy-it-now) button to be active (only once buyer) does compatibility in vehicle drop-down (we get so many returns) because people are not reading just guessing.  We need to conserve and save our planet.  

Recommend checking this sellers ideas too.

(Google) 

eBay lets Make it Better for BOTH (sellers) & (buyers)

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Sellers Update! Can eBay do a Sellers Update that Actually Helps Sellers?

Anything is possible!!! 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

That really isnt the goal lately of the Ebay board.

Their goals as far as I can by their actions, are to make the site more difficult to navigate and use, and list items on, and make more money off sellers through fee increases, more fees, and a wider array of promoted listing offerings, and secondarily, from all these changes, frustrate a certain percentage of sellers to decide to self-remove themselves from the site.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Without Sellers, the buyers will all go to other sites.

(Unfortunately, its a simple algorithm - make it so buyers have no ability to damage a sellers account, by making false allegations without showing photo (proof) of issues.  eBay needs to realize the (egg is the seller, while the chicken is the one Clucking us... Always some attempt at scamming, or abused or cheated from (2%) of the buyers - which is not a huge % but the millions of users (even some who re-instate) using different user info, this number is mind boggling. Sellers Protections should be priority over troubled customers. Without sellers, the buyers wouldnt be here...  Feedback shouldnt be allowed from a buyer with a high % of negative reviews given, heck - sellers do not even have the chance anylonger to balance that, a buyer with a 100% rating, isnt as pure as one expects.  Look at the Feedback given to others - and the reply of that seller... so many buyers are abusing eBay.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@vinyllust wrote:

3) Opt-in to not allow (buy-it-now) button to be active (only once buyer) does compatibility in vehicle drop-down (we get so many returns) because people are not reading just guessing.  We need to conserve and save our planet.  

I was just talking to my wife about this yesterday.  With all the talk and concern over climate change and fossil fuels,  the entire online return process and free shipping mentality is really due for a major overhaul across all platforms.  Think about how much pollution is created by people buying without reading the description, buying multiple sizes of an item then keeping the one that fits and returning the rest, using booksellers as a lending library, etc.  The idea of free shipping and free returns days should be numbered.  Returns should come with a penalty for anything other than blatant seller fraud or quality control problems (shipping damage for instance).  Outbound shipping should always be paid for as a separate line item.  Things like "Prime" shipping should go away.

Also, think about how much pollution is created by people who just buy to try knowing full well that they will most likely return it.  Honestly, I think online shopping has been a major contributor to carbon emissions.  I'm old enough to remember the days before the internet.  You wanted something, you had to go and get it.  Guess what, we didn't buy as much junk like we do now.  Once people much smarter than me can actually do the calculations and then give those numbers to people with big megaphones or power, being an online buyer will not be the positive thing people think it is now.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

So I just came across this post, and thought it was Genius. - 

I have also been selling on ebay for a short 23yrs. Love the Opt-in ideas....

Opt-In for Sellers to Thwart Buyers from taking advantage of eBay should really be looked into.

1)  Opt-in to block buyers with a high % of negative reviews Since buyers can only receive positive feedback this is probably a non-starter. 

2) Opt-in to Require Orders to float in background for 1hr - so buyers can cancel if need, without the angry messages ("i told you to cancel it') after the fact. We are being pressured to send out items in 1day not 2days for Top Rated Status, which should be (rebooted soon) Covid really messed this up. Float may reduce this but not eliminate it. If it was a BIN item what would be the need for the float unless, o yea, I hit the wrong button. 

3) Opt-in to not allow (buy-it-now) button to be active (only once buyer) does compatibility in vehicle drop-down (we get so many returns) because people are not reading just guessing.  We need to conserve and save our planet.  May reduce the returns a little bit but like so many other things that have the pop up about reading, checking boxes, etc. too many people just simply answer yes and check the box without ever having read anything. 

4. EBay needs to exercise better scrutiny over the buyers to clean out, for lack of a better word, the garbage. This would include scammers, compulsive returners, constant non-paying buyers, etc. 

The problem is almost all of these have the potential to impact eBay's bottom line in a negative way and would probably not be well received by the buyer community. 

Recommend checking this sellers ideas too.

(Google) 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I don't understand the first 2:

1.) Buyers have not been able to receive negative feedback for well over a decade. 

2.) No reason to do this because a.) TRS only requires 'same day' or 'next day' shipping. Eliminate or simply quit using 'same day' and this problem dissolves itself.

3.) Opting in might be just that; an 'opt' in- but I do 5 business days and still get a portion of buyers that a.) don't read titles b.) don't read descriptions c.) don't look at pictures...

....so not sure that would solve anything.

What they SHOULD do is:

Opt In- No Returns and that means No Returns (on Car Parts, Appliance Parts, Computer Parts etc... items that can be a.) ordered wrong because buyer is guessing or b.) damaged because buyer guessed and installed wrong (for TR only or some other type of measurement/reputation of good honest sellers)

Used to be a time that ALL ELECTRICAL PARTS ARE NOT RETURNABLE in almost all Auto Parts Stores; and even the big box stores, ie. Best Buy, Walmart, Staples, Circuit City etc. had a very small return window for software, tvs' etc. and even then- it was only for an exchange...no cash back. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply