cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller wants to return a heavy item because they now for some reason can not afford it.

I sold a 26 pound item. The seller contacted me a few days after delivery and said that they can not afford the item and can they return it. First of not for that reason, but I told them the bigger reason. I can not refund the 140 dollars it cost to ship it and it would cost 140 for the same shipping and insurance maybe more because I get a discount from eBay shipping.  So the total cost to them would be at least 280 USD and the cost was 325 usd. That would leave little money back. I told them that it would be way more cost efficient to try to sell it on their local Facebook market or Craigslist. Not to mention that if it was damaged in return shipping they would be responsible for the collection of the insurance or for the cost of they did not buy insurance. USPS insurance is a horrible mess. I have collected one time in 20 for damages. Most times they will blow it off as you did not package it right not that your delivery guy dropped if from 6 feet off the back of a truck. My Etsy account has Etsy insurance. They have paid out every time I put in a claim. eBay offers similar things to help out. But the fact remains There is no easy way out of this by returning it. What would you do in this situation?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Seller wants to return a heavy item because they now for some reason can not afford it.

You mean the buyer contacted you?I guess, in this situation, I would hope the buyer doesnt open a snad case, then you will be responsible for return shipping.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Re: Seller wants to return a heavy item because they now for some reason can not afford it.

Buyer no longer wants it, is a remorse return and buyer would have to pay the return shipping.  Wait to see if buyer actually opens a Return Request before communicating further.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I sold a 26 pound item. The seller contacted me a few days after delivery and said that they can not afford the item and can they return it. First of not for that reason, but I told them the bigger reason. I can not refund the 140 dollars it cost to ship it

The cost of shipping does not change how eBay works. If you offered a return policy, your buyer can file for a return and return it. If the buyer claims SNAD, you will have to fund the return shipping label if you want the item back.

What would you do in this situation?

I never sell any item that costs more than $5 to ship for this exactly reason.

What did you sell that cost $140 to ship????

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Save those messages.  They might help if the buyer later says not as described.  That is might, not sure as the buyer is always favored.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

the only thing I see you sold was an air gun for $145.......shipping could not be $140.......you sell only in the US/from the US.......  why do you think it's $140? 

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

It was a Antique GE Vortalex fan. They are very heavy. It was sold on my fan business account not my personal account.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

From back in June? You shouldn't even be corresponding with this person 90 days after purchase because they used it for 3 months and then decide they "can't afford" it.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@siriusrising wrote:

It was a Antique GE Vortalex fan. They are very heavy. It was sold on my fan business account not my personal account.

What are your return rules?  No return/return, buyer pays/return, seller pays? 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@siriusrising wrote:

Did the buyer open a return request? 

If so, you can deny the return. 

If not, tell the buyer to open a request. Because it's been over 30 days, you can refuse the return no matter what reason the buyer selects. 

Third option: Block and ignore.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

I agree.  The buyer already said in the message to your that they couldn't afford to keep it.   So that would be proof they had buyer's remorse.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Tell them that since this is a case of Buyer Remorse, return will be at his expense.

And do not delete any of those Messages.
You might even have a Chat (not phone call) with Help and Contact and ask that a case be opened on this, because he may try to make you pay for the return shipping by opening a Not As Described claim.

YOu sold it in June?

You may be facing a credit card chargeback since the Money Back Guarantee has lapsed.

I'd definitely be contacting H&C in an attempt to Block his chargeback claim.

BTW- you don't have to have something returned to pay a refund.

Normally, you would want it back, but china and glass sellers are often satisfied with a picture of the box of shards the buyer received.

In this case the cost of return shipping +refund  is greater than the resale value of the fan.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

A completely different and off the wall suggestion.

He pays you for a Return Shipping Label -- which costs you $140-- rather than him paying $280 at the PO counter.

When you get it back in salable condition, you refund the original purchase price only.

I doubt it will fly, but if negotiations have been polite, he might go for it.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I have seller does not accept returns.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

It sold a couple of weeks ago not in June. The buyer said they can not afford it. If it was not such expensive shipping I would see what I can do with some restocking fee. But the cost of shipping today is really high. Then there is the danger of it being damaged in transit. The USPS is not all that great when it comes to taking care of a package. Especially when its heavy and large.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply