cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller on eBay Over 20 Years and WHY I HATE eBay

So many reasons I hate eBay and why it has become a hell on earth for anyone selling. First, some things have always been bad. It's always been a crapshoot as to whether you'll get a deadbeat bidder and have to relist. It's always been difficult to get through to customer service. HOWEVER, tonight is the first time I've ever been unable to reach anyone at all because eBay has no one answering their phone. I mean give me a break, eBay probably made a billion dollars in the time it took me to write this and yet they refuse to support their customers??? I guess the main reason I hate ebay is because of how they treat sellers. Fees have gone up exponentially but I keep coming back like a bad relationship. But this is the last time. Some deadbeat won my auction tonight, sent payment, which I initiated as a transfer to my bank account. Then like 20 minutes later the bidder said they don't want the item and want a refund. Paypal won't let me send a refund because the transfer already initiated. Ebay has no associates on their customer service line. Ebay wouldn't even let me do a refund without relisting the item even though I'm DONE WITH EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Seller on eBay Over 20 Years and WHY I HATE eBay

Not sure why you need to talk to ebay........it's paypal that is requiring us to now have $$ in the account before they will do a refund........ so you are going to have to replenish that before the refund goes thru......   Now it's certainly best to keep cash in the account to cover the eventuality.......

In any case, they do have email support available if you follow the prompts at Help/contact....... 

Fact is they, like most businesses, have had to "retool" due to trying to protect their employees due to the virus problem. 

And, by the way, if you look on the refund, you can remove the checkmark that instructs them to relist.....

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

BTW i had to cancel with eBay because Paypal was going to make me pay the tax unless ebay cancelled. I dont know who you people are loving this ebay **bleep**. I dont sell often so it gets worse every time i do. 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

BTW only talking to you people because there are not associates that I can reach.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

I hear you.  I had ebay for 22 years.  paid for food in college back then but have used sparingly since.  I think the fee back then was 2-3%?    it's funny that ebay has been using price gauging to suspend sellers lately when ebay has been - calling it monopoly pricing power or price gauging - multiplied their fees over the years without providing new value. 

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@woody10187 wrote:

BTW only talking to you people because there are not associates that I can reach.

But .... but .... but .... but .... you have to understand, it's after hours - always, somewhere.

(darn, they hid that sarcasm font, again!)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@woody10187 

Since the epidemic, the CS employees are working from home.  You can contact them on social media:

Ask eBay:
https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay

You can thank @sunnysouth1 for the above information.

You are not the only one who is unhappy with the platform as of late...try to come up with a system to make it work for you.   I have done that and it has worked for me so far but who knows about tomorrow...one day I may not be able to make it work for me either.

Good luck on your future endeavors.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Thanks for the help. Needed to calm down a bit. It's been a long week.
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@woody10187 wrote:

So many reasons I hate eBay and why it has become a hell on earth for anyone selling. First, some things have always been bad. It's always been a crapshoot as to whether you'll get a deadbeat bidder and have to relist. It's always been difficult to get through to customer service. HOWEVER, tonight is the first time I've ever been unable to reach anyone at all because eBay has no one answering their phone. I mean give me a break, eBay probably made a billion dollars in the time it took me to write this and yet they refuse to support their customers??? I guess the main reason I hate ebay is because of how they treat sellers. Fees have gone up exponentially but I keep coming back like a bad relationship. But this is the last time. Some deadbeat won my auction tonight, sent payment, which I initiated as a transfer to my bank account. Then like 20 minutes later the bidder said they don't want the item and want a refund. Paypal won't let me send a refund because the transfer already initiated. Ebay has no associates on their customer service line. Ebay wouldn't even let me do a refund without relisting the item even though I'm DONE WITH EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

You seem to have some misunderstandings which due to that you are blaming Ebay.  I know it can be frustrating as things on Ebay change quickly but as sellers we need to do our best to keep up on them so we don't get all frustrated and into unnecessary problems.

It is never a good idea for a seller to transfer their money out of PP that fast.  You should be aware that buyers have an hour after the purchase to request a cancellation if they so chose.  Taking the money out of PP to quickly is what caused your problem with this transaction not Ebay.

Now you have a problem with PP too because you have no funds in which to refund with, so you will have to transfer money back to your PP account from your bank and that takes time.

So just let your buyer know you will honor the cancellation request, but it will take you a few days due to a snafu with PP.  If you may other sales between now and then you could refund this buyer quicker.

During the cancellation process on a listing like this, look at your screen CAREFULLY.  There is a little box you have checked that says you want to relist the item, that is why it is telling you it will relist.  If you don't want it to relist, uncheck the box.  Problem solved.  

You just need to slow your roll.  You are trying to move too fast and you are missing the details.  That isn't Ebay's or PP's fault.  Just take a beat and slow down.

As to customer service.  There are really good solid reasons why the call center is closed.  That does NOT mean there is no customer service on Ebay.  There has always been other means in which to get some help from Ebay.  Again you may not have been aware of that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  It only means you were not aware of it.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

Drop to the bottom of the page and the email option is there.  Or you can click on the reason for needing assistance and the options for contact will display.  On occasion that could be the ability to call, email or live chat.

https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp

The seller’s help center give you the ability for file for certain types of assistance.

https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/

It's important to be aware of where you post a question on Ebay’s Facebook page.  A comment on one of Ebay’s marketing posts won't be answered, but comments posted directly on Ebay’s page will.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Speaking badly about Ebay happens all the time on the threads and is not your issue.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@woody10187 wrote:

BTW i had to cancel with eBay because Paypal was going to make me pay the tax unless ebay cancelled. I dont know who you people are loving this ebay **bleep**. I dont sell often so it gets worse every time i do. 

PP can't make you pay any type of tax.  Or are you confusing that with PP fees.  PP stopped refunding fees on refunds last year.  So no matter the reason, you won't be getting your PP fees back on a refund.

You can only cancel a transaction in Ebay on Ebay.  Where else would you do it?

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Hypothetically if I, personally, ran a large internet sales site I guess I wouldn't care about the sellers. Why bother? Anyone can sell. Buyers on the other hand are the precious commodity. They are the ones that keep the money flowing.

Makes sense. Cold and calculated but makes sense. 

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@woody10187 wrote:

Hypothetically if I, personally, ran a large internet sales site I guess I wouldn't care about the sellers. Why bother? Anyone can sell. Buyers on the other hand are the precious commodity. They are the ones that keep the money flowing.

Makes sense. Cold and calculated but makes sense. Did I mention I was sorry for my content earlier? Because I am. Deeply. Apparently it was the part about saying eBay "fanboys" are "sick." I meant sick in the good sense, as in "Oh Sally I love your new blouse -- it's Sick!"

Looks like you have a real love / hate relationship going on here.  In one post you love them and in others you hate them.

I did try to explain to you in my earlier post that your frustration with Ebay and PP right now is due to some misunderstandings on your part as well as a bit self inflicted.  You are blaming Ebay and PP for stuff they are not at fault for.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Its ok to vent once in a while you know, so don't feel bad. Trust me, I've had my moments ranting on these boards. 

As for your predicament, you should still be able to refund your buyer as long as you have a bank debit card tied to your paypal account, regardless of how much funds you have available in paypal itself; given you have the funds available in your bank account already.

You have to set the card as a secondary payment method and it should work. In such a case, when you initiate the refund, paypal will take whatever funds are available from your paypal account first, then they will move to your debit card to cover the rest.

You can also set a card as a primary payment method and bypass your paypal funds altogether. In this case paypal would process all transactions only with the card.

But we're moving to managed payments soon, not sure how that system will work with refunds, but at least then you wont have to deal with paypal.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Thanks I'll try that.
Message 15 of 24
latest reply