cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller not answering messages?

Seems like I remember seeing "somewhere", that sellers need to respond/reply to their messages from potential buyers.  (Understand, I know this. It's basic Common Sense and Common Courtesy).
BUT RATHER, what I mean, is that responding to messages might be tallied by the All Knowing eBay seller metrics machine, as is most everything else.  And the seller might be "dinged" somehow if the reply percentage is below what's considered standard.
Just seems that I remember seeing that somewhere, and not to ignore many messages because it stands a chance of negatively impacting your sales via some manner of eBay metrics.

The reason I ask is because....Yeah, there's a message every so often that I'm just not responding to. That's no big deal to me.  Also, some exchanges end up looking like the buyer is just trying to get the last word (and I'll let them, done is done). 
BUT, last night I got 30 messages in a row from a potential buyer.  That's more messages than I get total, in a month.
I replied to three of the messages and answered his questions.
Got a good laugh out of it. 
Thinking, do I need to reply to all of these right before I Block this potential disaster in advance?  

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Seller not answering messages?

Although communication is good for business it is not a requirement and not enforced by eBay.

There is also no impact on your seller performance . 
Buyers can give you low star ratings for communication when leaving feedback but that too has no impact on your seller performance.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I have a stamp for sale $5.00     The listing clearly shows that in the last 2 years I've sold 157

examples of this stamp.

eBay "Buyer"  messages me that he'll take all I have for $2.00 each

This is an example of an ebay message that earned no response from me.  

30 messages is over the top.    I don't know what I'd do with that person.   

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Sideline comment, Ebay has a tab at the top of your items list "unanswered questions" but it isnt accurate. Just saying if you have the tab please make it accurate. It is helpful to see which items had quedtions, but it stays thete forever like you never answered the potential buyer. A tweak is needed to make it more useful

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

When they start piling on the messages, one after another, that is highly likely, never going to be a successful transaction.

I always BBL and remove the listing for a period of time to keep them from coming back on another account.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Posting ID
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@dirk12955 wrote:

I have a stamp for sale $5.00     The listing clearly shows that in the last 2 years I've sold 157

examples of this stamp.

eBay "Buyer"  messages me that he'll take all I have for $2.00 each

This is an example of an ebay message that earned no response from me.  

30 messages is over the top.    I don't know what I'd do with that person.   

Exactly how I do it.
It was crazy!  I been here 24 years.  Had four ID's selling thousands of items a week.  
Have a box full of "printouts" (pages of buyer comments in messages, conversations between us and buyers, stuff like that).   I can't make it through that box without stopping for air...laughing so hard.
BUT NEVER had 30 messages in 10 minutes before.
I saw 10, read them all, and replied to all in one message.
A minute later, here come 10 more.  I did same thing.
Then 10 more.  I replied  "Goodnight, I'm going to bed"
Now I'm blocking them in advance.  That sale just isn't worth it. LOL

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Sometimes the most professional action one can take is to ignore the message.

@dirk12955 has provided an excellent example of a message to be ignored. A $2 offer on a $5 item could be an example in itself.

Not answering and adding a buyer to the Blocked Buyers List is another professional path.

There are many messages which only elicit unprofessional responses, and fortunately Ebay does not make us behave unprofessionally.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I dont believe they measure it here...  I have frequented sites in the past where they did via a ticket system so as a hidden metric but it was measured by daily thread.  So a communication(s) today say go responded to, next day by another thread per se.  Most sellers due to volume had notepad documents just cut 'n' paste fill any relevant data.  Site randomly look at the stuff make sure everything was professional.

There was no,

"Hi!  Yea you're package is out in the mail!"  That'd get ya' a warning.

"Stop messaging me!  I answered already!" That get you a suspension.

Comm's had to be professional.

"Greetings and thank you for you're inquiry.  You're parcel has been dispatched via US Postal Service Mail.  Tracking is available within you're order detail information.  If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to reply or issue an additional support ticket." 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Some people are lonely.   Some are disturbed.

More than a few get off bugging you.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

There is currently no penalty from eBay regarding seller responsiveness for messages received prior to the sale. eBay advises buyers that not all sellers accept questions. The policy states

Contacting a seller before you buy an item

Not all sellers accept questions before you buy an item…”

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/working-sellers/contact-seller?id=4021

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

30 messages from one person in one evening? Nothing good is going to come out of that situation.

I would add to your block list and move on. Just delete all the other messages. I believe you can also mark each question as answered even if you didn't really reply. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Pretty much everything was different than here actually.  Every approved vendor had a account representative.  So might be you, I and 50 others assigned this particular rep.  Ticket system in that to so if you had a site question, needed escalate an issue with a customer etc...  Easy peasy.  They realized that comms between consumers and vendors, vendors and site were critical mass.  That is to say, traffic retention and Comms between all stakeholders set at very high priority or the site easily loose buyers.  Last thing any marketplace like venue need is me upsetting a buyer lets say to the point he/she leaves and perhaps was one of you're best customers.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

You can mark it as answered to get rid of it, unless it is 90 days old. Then it will stay there. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Got a good amazement laugh out of it. 
And yeah, I had to back out of at least half a dozen answers 😂  (get em all typed up and think...man I better not send that 🤣).
All responses were professional and courteous.  Even the going to bed reply.

It was as if he would think of something and send one sentence.
Then add to it.
Then add to it.
Then add to it.
    (I lied to y'all to, it was only 28....that probably changes things huh? 😂😂)

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I would say it depends on the message. If they are asking about a product or service, yes. If they are just chatting you up, no. If they are making you uncomfortable, definitely block them.

I had a guy that was chatting us up and sent literally 60 messages in an hour. It got to the point, where I kid you not he was "talking" about how nice I was to my other staff members that were responding to emails, and asking what I looked like. He was giving opinions on what we were selling, asking personal questions, things like that. We blocked him and he created a new account!! There is definitely a neutral fb out there for revenge from him. I'm sure it won't come to this for you, but if it gets out of hand contact ebay through Facebook, Twitter or Insta. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply