cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller not answering messages?

Seems like I remember seeing "somewhere", that sellers need to respond/reply to their messages from potential buyers.  (Understand, I know this. It's basic Common Sense and Common Courtesy).
BUT RATHER, what I mean, is that responding to messages might be tallied by the All Knowing eBay seller metrics machine, as is most everything else.  And the seller might be "dinged" somehow if the reply percentage is below what's considered standard.
Just seems that I remember seeing that somewhere, and not to ignore many messages because it stands a chance of negatively impacting your sales via some manner of eBay metrics.

The reason I ask is because....Yeah, there's a message every so often that I'm just not responding to. That's no big deal to me.  Also, some exchanges end up looking like the buyer is just trying to get the last word (and I'll let them, done is done). 
BUT, last night I got 30 messages in a row from a potential buyer.  That's more messages than I get total, in a month.
I replied to three of the messages and answered his questions.
Got a good laugh out of it. 
Thinking, do I need to reply to all of these right before I Block this potential disaster in advance?  

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Seller not answering messages?

Back not that so long ago there were some board discussions about how eBay was displaying  "seller usually responds within......."  or something along that line being displayed.................  somewhere. 

Not sure what became of that, what it counts for (if anything) , or what happened with that.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Over on the river in the past, if I received a buyer question concerning an existing transaction,  the message arrived with a time requirement to respond. I think it was 48 hours, can't remember for sure. Been awhile since I have had a question. 

They do quite the job wrangling sellers with their now labeled "account health" section which has a communication section with a "response needed" tab.

Sellers there also have a seller rating number. 

Posting ID
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Back not that so long ago there were some board discussions about how eBay was displaying  "seller usually responds within......."  or something along that line being displayed.................  somewhere. 

Not sure what became of that, what it counts for (if anything) , or what happened with that.

@buyselljack2016  I read that thread but couldn't find it on my seller ID.  Others saw it though.  Nothing was ever said about it after that.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

Over on the river in the past, if I received a buyer question concerning an existing transaction,  the message arrived with a time requirement to respond. I think it was 48 hours, can't remember for sure. Been awhile since I have had a question. 

They do quite the job wrangling sellers with their now labeled "account health" section which has a communication section with a "response needed" tab.

Sellers there also have a seller rating number. 

It can be problematic especially given what one sells.   I'd actually put together a quickie Windows Program where just select a response note and paste.  Back then stuff like PC Software had more compatibility problems than the exact same now legacy software on new systems.  That is to say Windows 98/XP stuff actually works better now on Windows 10 and 11 than it did back then on what it was intended for.  Of course even back then, all sorts of conspiracies...  "They make this stuff so it screws up you're PC on purpose so you have pay get it fixed!"

Oh my gosh I'd some lu-lu's and then some!

"I installed the game on my Laptop and now my Laptop's dead!  You have buy me a new one!"

Those are the one's where ya' just wanted type back, "I'm sorry... Do you have an appointment?"

On this political forum I sometimes help moderate OH MY GOSH I had a few handfuls folks going.  Tellin' them that there are UFO technologies and some critical things that need go across the world overnight of faster, that's how it happens.  That if someone has the right government issued account types they can drop at FedEx and it'd route to a UFO facility.  Me and the other mods were laughin' oh my gosh.  Was tellin' how do you think can get things so fast from like NYC to Japan... Thats why so many people are seeing UFO's, its not aliens it deliveries LOL....  Oh so danged funny!

Message 19 of 19
latest reply