cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Protection for Porch Pirate Theft

Hats off to eBay for their seller protection. Recently I sold an item that was stolen from buyers porch within an hour of delivery.  This was shown on her neighbors Ring Doorbell Camera.  She filed a INR with eBay because she didn't feel like she should have pay for my item.   Since USPS showed it was delivered, eBay found in my favor..   Well, this didn't suit her so, she stopped payment on her credit card purchase.  I took about 6 weeks, but eBay did cover me through Seller Protection. 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Seller Protection for Porch Pirate Theft

"Based on OP's post 12, it is."

It is.... what? 

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

The reform by the Feds of the way the credit card industry handles chargebacks should be TOP on the agenda for Ebay’s Main Street advocacy group, as well as many many top retailers and  billions of small sellers. I bet it they called upon all these people there would be billions of thumbs up for this.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

There needs to be a petition started to send to all the congressman throughout the country.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Make sure you block this buyer

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Here in Norway we either have to be there for the postman when he attempts to deliver and if not he will give it to a delivery point where we will have to go to pick up our package.. The Norwegian postal service has delivery points at grocery stores all over the country where you can pick up your package.. usually it goes there by default. Having delivery at home etc costs more. It seems like this would be the solution to the widespread theft that goes on.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

eBay might have restored your payment but I bet it was out of their pocket and buyer got their money back.

Since the buyer was made whole and the seller was made whole, what is the problem with that?

It is the buyer's responsibility to have a secure spot for "no contact" deliveries, but it was not his fault that he was targeted by thieves.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Do you think I am indifferent when my neighbor's car gets stolen or he/she gets in an accident?

No, it means eventually higher insurance rates for me. Same goes with your example above, higher seller fees for all of us at the end of the day, somebody has to pay.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

tools* ---- the six weeks is the credit card company, not ebay....same thing back when it was PayPal....it took however long the card issuer chose to take....it's not up to ebay or PayPal.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

newlife,

No, no $20 charge in this case. ebay waives the $20 in a situation like this. Per their policy. As I said, I had this happen to me a while ago. 

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

Recent posts are showing that with Fed Ex and UPS at times these drivers do just leave packages near garage etc etc. Lots of INR complaints coming with these carriers. People need to have secure receptacles for these deliveries, or take responsibility by having the items held at a Fed ExOffice or UPS office if they will not be home when delivered. There should be NO EXCUSES for this when these folks claim somebody stole it . Sellers should NOT be held accountable for these issues unless Fed Ex or UPS really screwed up and the delivery scan which is GPS located within 4 ft of where they dropped this stuff off can be confirmed to be delivered to the wrong address. Then, collect insurance claim from them.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Well yes confirmed delivery has to take precedence or every seller on here would be at complete risk of being ripped off. 

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

We have that here with Fed Ex. If you have an account you can request that packages be held at one of their facilities.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

I  had a similar one that showed delivered.  Buyer said over a month later he did not receive it.  I uploaded tracking, but eBay still found in his favor.  Seller protection took care of it, so I did not have to pay anything, but it is still a mark against me in eBay's hidden black book.  If eBay truly protected sellers, this would not happen.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply