cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Protection for Porch Pirate Theft

Hats off to eBay for their seller protection. Recently I sold an item that was stolen from buyers porch within an hour of delivery.  This was shown on her neighbors Ring Doorbell Camera.  She filed a INR with eBay because she didn't feel like she should have pay for my item.   Since USPS showed it was delivered, eBay found in my favor..   Well, this didn't suit her so, she stopped payment on her credit card purchase.  I took about 6 weeks, but eBay did cover me through Seller Protection. 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Seller Protection for Porch Pirate Theft

How do you know that ebay covered you on a chargeback and not just the 'response' back to the bank, the bank then told the buyer 'no dice'?

Was the amount removed and then weeks later it just re-appeared?  I have 1 open charge back, or do I? I got it 4 weeks ago, only proof was tracking showed delivered. Haven't heard anything about it. No money was removed or put on hold the moment I got the message; and still nothing. 

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

eBay might have restored your payment but I bet it was out of their pocket and buyer got their money back.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

@black_lace1 

Glad e-bay made you whole.  Likely a courtesy refund to you, etc.  Good to hear.  Mostly as these do not happen often for a Seller.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Similar thing happened to me. Buyer and I went back and forth (pleasantly enough) and she finally told me her credit card had a "theft protection" clause, and they told her she was covered and I believe pretty much immediately refunded her, so she never did file with ebay. However, the credit card company came after ebay (and me), and, the credit card company being both prosecutor and jury decided against me. ebay's seller protection kicked in (because USPS showed delivered) and so ebay paid the chargeback out of pocket, and I was out nothing. Obviously, ebay was wronged by the card company, but that's how the cc companies operate.

I know we all hate chargebacks, but until our supine Congress decides to require that credit card companies must allow an objective third party to decide these cases, rather than the credit card company itself, we aren't likely to see much change.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

In many cases like this the credit card company actually ends up refunding stolen/incorrectly-marked-delivered purchases. She should have just called her credit card company and told them the item was delivered but stolen instead of going through Ebay. That would have been the right thing to do.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

As long as you can show the item was delivered Ebay has always allowed the seller to win the case. As far as the CC chargeback issue that is up to your bank.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

katzrul15,

This wasn't a courtesy refund. This is how ebay Seller Protection works in these INR type cases. If seller has shown proof of delivery, ebay protects the seller in chargeback cases, even if ebay loses the case. I've never had to pay out in a chargeback case when the case was basically an INR...ebay (and PayPal before ebay) paid out of pocket as long as I provided proof of delivery.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Good to hear.  Thanks for sharing. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@black_lace1 wrote:

Hats off to eBay for their seller protection. Recently I sold an item that was stolen from buyers porch within an hour of delivery.  This was shown on her neighbors Ring Doorbell Camera.  She filed a INR with eBay because she didn't feel like she should have pay for my item.   Since USPS showed it was delivered, eBay found in my favor..   Well, this didn't suit her so, she stopped payment on her credit card purchase.  I took about 6 weeks, but eBay did cover me through Seller Protection. 

It's absolutely outrageous that you had to wait 6 weeks for eBay to do what they're obligated to do. Once they were notified, 6 minutes would have been too long to wait.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

eBay has done similar for us a couple times. The reimbursement came as credit to purchase items on eBay. Which I'm not complaining about.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Yes, eBay did give the buyer a refund too.  The buyer admitted that the package was stolen after it was delivered, but felt like she should not have to pay for it.  So, she stopped payment on her credit card.  In essence she tried to then steal from me.  I kept all of her emails for evidence if I needed it.  But, eBay came through for me.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Based on OP's post 12, it is.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

The problem is that any buyer can just claim something was stolen off their porch after confirmed delivery and receive a freebie, even if it wasn't actually stolen!! This is why confirmed delivery has to trump any buyer claim. 

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

And ebay charged them $20 for  it too. It is not worth it unless it is a high priced item which I would never sell now on ebay. Used to but not now. 

Message 15 of 28
latest reply