cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sell to eBayer with zero feedback?

Would welcome thoughts on doing business with someone with a brand new eBay account (where local pickup is an option particularly).  Does anyone mention this as an issue in the listing itself?  Does anyone cancel bids or decline a sale in this instance?  I have had inquiries from two such potential buyers today (zero feedback, wanting to use cashier checks, wanting to complete the transaction by cell, etc.).  Those two went nowhere (warning signs were obvious) but it made me consider the issue.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Sell to eBayer with zero feedback?

Not everything is meant to be taken literally.  Of course I am not running background checks on customers.  I never said that.  Just making the point that sometimes you want to know who you are dealing with regarding a potential sale.  I asked an honest question.  Just wanted to hear some honest thoughts.  Some seasoned eBayers should take their tone down a notch.  There wasn't anything controversial here.  I am not discriminating.  Just trying to figure something out.  You have your opinions, I have mine.  Nothing wrong with that.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Hi,

I think it's okay to sell to a zero feedback person on a local pickup because they might have signed up for ebay particularly because you had what they were looking for. However, I would not take any other forms of payment from them than what you already said you would take, and I would meet them only in a public parking lot--maybe the police parking lot-- to make the exchange.

DO NOT hand any items over before you have payment. I heard of craig's list buyers literally running off with the product when the seller let them hold it.

And there is nothing wrong with your question -- especially if you have to meet the person instead of shipping the item. You want to be safe, not sorry.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

You don't need to get defensive about your questions, they are perfectly reasonable.  Some posters just get carried away with their answers. 

I work with the public all the time, deal with strangers in large quantities every day in my own retail store, where I am the only worker, and I am a physically small woman.  I would take the stories of issues with buyers causing you harm with a grain of salt.  Of course it could happen, but no more so than if you go out into any public place. 

Selling to new buyers is perfectly safe, especially on a local pick-up where you can and must insist on cash payment and no shipping.   You seem to be aware of these necessities.  As long as you don't let anyone change your terms of sale then you are going to be just fine with this transaction. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@tiqui1999 wrote:

Hi,

I think it's okay to sell to a zero feedback person on a local pickup because they might have signed up for ebay particularly because you had what they were looking for. However, I would not take any other forms of payment from them than what you already said you would take, and I would meet them only in a public parking lot--maybe the police parking lot-- to make the exchange.

DO NOT hand any items over before you have payment. I heard of craig's list buyers literally running off with the product when the seller let them hold it.

And there is nothing wrong with your question -- especially if you have to meet the person instead of shipping the item. You want to be safe, not sorry.

It is my experience that the vast majority of transactions I've had with zero FB buyers have processed without issue or problem.  They may need a little extra assistance, but terrific buyers in the end.

I have far more problems with seasoned buyers that I've ever had with new buyers.  In fact, some of have sellers themselves and it appeared to me that they just wanted to make the transaction as miserable as possible.  Possibly to get some frustrations out or something.  But some sellers just have no regard for their fellow sellers.  Misery loves company!!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Remember that if YOU as a seller cancel the sale it can count against YOU as a seller as a defect in the eyes of EBAY which are ever watching.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

I'm dealing with a non-paying buyer right now so this is more so an outlet to vent than anything constructive, for which I apologize.

Like everyone said, you cannot deny buyers with 0 feedback, and that's understandable because we all started there. However, ebay has very little interest in protecting sellers. Many of the actions they have taken since I joined a decade ago reflect their interest in protecting buyers. In my current situation, the buyer has 0 feedback and when I contacted them about payment they responded with "sorry I'm on vacation. I'll pay when I can." Now I have to wait about 10 days to close the case and relist the item with no guarantee that I will make as much as the second time around. And as for the buyer, well they'll receive the dreaded nonpayment strikes- I can just feel all the non-payers just shaking from such a harsh penalty. 

So, in short, if you are a seller all you can do is wait for an alternative to pop up that has the reach and ease of eBay. Until then, eBay will continue to do very little to protect sellers.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@paulieshere12_5 wrote:

Remember that if YOU as a seller cancel the sale it can count against YOU as a seller as a defect in the eyes of EBAY which are ever watching.

That is not completely true.  ONLY a seller can cancel a transaction.  Buyers can not.  

Now if you file the cancellation as the seller's fault, then yes it counts against the seller.  But if you have a reason that is available in the cancellation process to use a Buyer's reason, you do NOT get a defect.  It is important to know the differences and the definition of the reasons available in the cancellation process so that you can best use the options.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 22 of 22
latest reply