cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secret to getting listings to come up on Google Search?

Is there something I don't know or am missing? What is the secret to getting listings come up on Google search?  

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

There is probably no one correct answer.

I can tell you what has gotten some of my listings to come up.

For example, at one time I was selling an aluminum license plate for the NCAA college Slippery Rock University. Yeah, I know - I never heard of them either. But the school exists and has some graduates. But when I did a Google search there were absolutely NO results. Because no one else had them.

That was good enough for me. I bought a dozen and listed them.

In due course if you did a Google search for them my name not only came up, but it was the first name on the first page. Every e-tailers dream. It was also the first item on their image pages.

They sold out within a month. Once the first buyer found them they no doubt told their former classmates “Guess what I just found”.  I also got a lot of sales for my other NCAA plates.

So the lesson I learned is you have to have something that no one, or at least very few others, have. I have over 10,000 listings. I have made it a point to be sure that I have some unusual designs even in common items.

Just remember there are a gazillion others out there also trying to be on Google. If you are offering the same things as them you are swimming upstream. Everything may not come up, but if enough things do from time to time your name becomes known.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Product identifiers help...  Those would be UPC/ISBN/MPN numbers

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Business Owner here...Im going to use @richard1rst awesome story here as a quick example.

So I notice that some sellers use a lot of words/keywords in their listing(s.) They do this because there is a very good chance that whatever keyword(s) come up, most likely it will be yours. They do this on amazon listings too. SEO.

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@bill.purvis2012 

Something sticks-out in my mind that an eBay announcement (a while back) stated that

items needed to be pictured on a white background 

- but i can't confirm this (sorry)

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Make sure you fill in as many item specifics for your items. This is one the reasons but the only on why eBay is requiring the item specifics.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Vintage~~Monet~~Gold Tone Rectangular Chain Bracelet w/ Safety Chain~~Fits 6- 7"

Readable titles and matching keywords in the description are helpful.  Your titles are not computer savvy.  Using the tilde does not help the cause.  Vintage~~Monet~~Gold is not a recognizable word in the English language.  Neither is the word Chain~~Fits.  And the titles are copied into the description....

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

In my experience, items coming up on Google search isn't all that it's cracked up to be. The vast majority of the links they come up with all seem to lead to an "oops, we looked everywhere..." error message when clicked.

Whether it's because of the tracking crud they add to each link, or something else, my experience has been that Google (and Bing and DuckDuckGo) are all but worthless for finding currently active listings. I'll take my chances wading through eBay search results. At least I know that those results will be for things I can actually purchase.

YMMV

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

Vintage~~Monet~~Gold Tone Rectangular Chain Bracelet w/ Safety Chain~~Fits 6- 7"

Readable titles and matching keywords in the description are helpful.  Your titles are not computer savvy.  Using the tilde does not help the cause.  Vintage~~Monet~~Gold is not a recognizable word in the English language.  Neither is the word Chain~~Fits.  And the titles are copied into the description....

I would also think this would not be helpful with eBay search as well.    Also, if we assume that the eBay algorithm places more weight on the first words in a title, then the prolific use of the word "vintage" - with or without the tildes - as the 1st word doesn't help either, unless I'm the only one that doesn't use that word in my search terms. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Have a Pinterest page and link your ebay items to it use the social media icons at the top right corner of each of your listings. Pinterest is a search engine and will index your items to google at some point. Make sure you use white back grounds and good key words as well.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Hi Toysaver. trying to catch what you're saying.  Why would Vintage, Monet, Gold, Chain not be recognizable words? Aren't they the exact description?  Are you talking about the inclusion of ~~ ? Is that a problem?

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

duncanvr.  Okay. I don't see a social media icon. Is it supposed to be on my Ebay listing? 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

duncanvr. I see the fb pinterest icons at top right . I have a Pinterst page. I'll try that. Thank you.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

The secret is there is no secret.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

The secret is you need a constant listing for many many years. Same words; and no 'funny' digits. After about 5 years, items can start showing on page 3,4,5 or 13. 'Pay Per Click' covers most all 1st and 2nd page. 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply