cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed out of $400 thanks to eBay

On November 29th, I sold an iPhone 7 for $400 and received an instant payment. Shortly after the buyer paid, I received a message from him, asking me to ship it to a different address than what was on the order. On the same day, I called eBay customer service and asked if this was okay to do. The representative assured me that if the buyer requests me to ship the item to a different address, it is okay to do so, because "we have record of the messages between buyers and sellers, so if the buyer makes a claim, we have the message from the buyer asking you to ship to the new address, so you are still protected". I was smart enough to record this call, so I have proof. I figured okay, eBay would know best, I'm good to ship this item. I shipped the item to the new address, and what would you know, the next day I get an email from PayPal that the buyer is trying to reverse the transaction because it was "unauthorized". I responded to the case, saying that the buyer requested me to ship it to the new address. PayPal closed the case in the buyer's favor because I didn't ship it to the address on file, HOWEVER, I did my due diligence and contacted eBay to make sure it was safe, and they told me it was, so how was I supposed to know better? So now, I'm out $400. I even tried to have USPS intercept the package and they delivered it anyway.

I spent about 6 hours on the phone with eBay and PayPal yesterday, and I have had a 3 way call with myself, eBay and PayPal, and the eBay rep was arguing with the PayPal rep, telling them they need to return my money because they have the message from the buyer. Of course, PayPal won't budge, and eBay says they can't do anything because the case is with PayPal. 

I've filed a complaint with BBB, I tried to have USPS intercept the package but they didn't, I've spoken to multiple eBay reps that think it's okay to ship to a different address if a buyer requests it, I've spoken to so many supervisors and I am getting nowhere. I found out that I shipped it to a freight forwarder, so my last resort is to get ahold of them tomorrow as soon as they open to see if they can stop the package from going overseas. Is there anything else I can do?!

Message 1 of 146
latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

@leedx1 wrote:

Sorry but eBay and PayPal have a pretty exclusive relationship as they were once the same company. Almost every transaction on eBay goes through PayPal. The reps should know to tell their customers if they are using PayPal, you have to ship to the address on file. I verified with 3 different reps and they even told PayPal "since the buyer requested to ship to a different address, you need to reverse the case in the seller's favor"

There is obviously a clear disconnect between eBay and PayPal, and I wonder how many other people get screwed the same way I did.

Sorry but no. They have been separate companies for years, there is no exclusive relationship, ebay doesn't even require you to accept paypal. Ebay reps did not tell paypal to do anything, they don't have that authority and if they told you they did--they straight up lied because ebay has absolutely no say in this and their policies do not override paypal policies. This is an issue entirely with paypal and the buyers credit card company, ebay cannot and will not intervene on your behalf. Ebay cannot and has no right to make paypal pay for an ebay mistake. Ebay didn't tell paypal to reverse this in your favor. If ebay truly wanted to help you, they would reimbuse you here, since they know darn well they can't involve themselves in the UA chargeback. Again they don't have any authority here. I'm very sorry this happened.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 16 of 146
latest reply

There is obviously a clear disconnect between eBay and PayPal, and.....

They are seperate companies when it suits their purpose.  Their  PURPOSE being keeping happy scammer buyers and calling it "part of doing business on the net."    Many of us know better now. 

Message 17 of 146
latest reply

Thanks for telling me what eBay said, I forgot you were on the phone with me. I will get my $400 back, and I will be sure to send you a message when I get it.

Message 18 of 146
latest reply

ebay's rationale for scams on their site is..."it's the cost of doing business".
Wonder if ebay would brush off counterfeit payments to their account from paypal as...
..."the cost of doing business"?
Message 19 of 146
latest reply

@leedx1 wrote:

Thanks for telling me what eBay said, I forgot you were on the phone with me. I will get my $400 back, and I will be sure to send you a message when I get it.

I didn't tell you what ebay said.  I said IF they really said what you say they did, they told you a bold faced lie. And if they if they think you should be covered by seller protection then they need to reimburse you, rather than expect paypal to take the loss & reverse the refund. Ebay should take the loss.

Message 20 of 146
latest reply

you should be covered by seller protection then they need to reimburse you...

The claim was via PAYPAL...not ebay.   The seller loses for not following the rules of their payment processor. Handy, for them?????

Message 21 of 146
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

The claim was via PAYPAL...not ebay.   The seller loses for not following the rules of their payment processor. Handy, for them?????

I am well aware that is through paypal and that the OP doesn't qualify for PP seller protection. What I said WAS, IF EBAY thinks OP should be covered by seller protection, then ebay should reimburse the OP.The OP says ebay told paypal to reverse the refund.  Ebay doesn't have that authority and paypal shouldn't take the loss here, ebay should.

Message 22 of 146
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@ittybitnot wrote:

I am well aware that is through paypal and that the OP doesn't qualify for PP seller protection. What I said WAS, IF EBAY thinks OP should be covered by seller protection, then ebay should reimburse the OP.The OP says ebay told paypal to reverse the refund.  Ebay doesn't have that authority and paypal shouldn't take the loss here, ebay should.

Hi Jen,

There is one thing here that I think hasn't been addressed yet.

Ebay BENEFITS when sellers get scammed most of the time.

If ebay automatically refunded sellers FVF when a scam happens then it would be different but they don't.

As long as they are in a position to benefit then they have an obligation to also protect the seller as much as possible and this includes good advice involving all parts of the transaction.

Mr C

Message 23 of 146
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

@ittybitnot wrote:

Hi Jen,

There is one thing here that I think hasn't been addressed yet.

Ebay BENEFITS when sellers get scammed most of the time.

If ebay automatically refunded sellers FVF when a scam happens then it would be different but they don't.

As long as they are in a position to benefit then they have an obligation to also protect the seller as much as possible and this includes good advice involving all parts of the transaction.

Mr C

Hey Mr C

Excellent point. Now ebay will credit the FVF the OPs situation (of course its not automatic) but when the scam happens ON ebay, th seller has to jump through hoops to get the FVF refunded and thats just not right. IIRC for a time ebay wasn't even refunding the FVF when the buyer's ebay account was hacked & used to buy the item even of the seller fought them on it.  I completely agree, ebay has an obligation to protect the seller. I do stand firm in my opinion that an ebay rep can't be expected to know paypal policy anymore than the seller. If an rep is supposed to know paypal policy, so should every member who uses paypal in my humble opinion.

Message 24 of 146
latest reply

Doesn't ebay own Paypal?

Message 25 of 146
latest reply

@buddhafettism-7 wrote:

Doesn't ebay own Paypal?

No. Ebay hasn't owned paypal for several years now.

Message 26 of 146
latest reply

I think others have given you enough information about eBay and Paypal.

One other thought I had, and I'm not sure this is accurate ... assuming that you are unsuccessful with the freight forwarder, can you contact Apple and report the phone stolen (giving them the ID numbers)? If that works, it might at least reduce the value of the phone to the thief.
Message 27 of 146
latest reply

can you contact Apple and report the phone stolen (giving them the ID numbers)?

That won't work if the phone ends up in the Ukraine.

If the scammer is a pro the phone will be sold on anyway and who knows where it will end up but most likely in a place where blacklists mean nothing.

Message 28 of 146
latest reply

@leedx1 wrote:

One of the eBay reps even told me that if I didn't ship to the address the buyer gave me via message, that he could file a claim for not shipping to the new address he gave me. So what am I supposed to do when eBay's telling me I could be reported for not shipping to the new address, and then PayPal says that I'm not protected if I don't ship to the address they have?

There is obviously a clear disconnect between eBay and PayPal, and I wonder how many other people get screwed the same way I did.

I believe that CS has given you bad info with that instruction.

Shipping is to the address that is provided at checkout.

Also, they may have told PayPal that you should br refunded during a three way call, but as you have found, that did not happen.

Sorry this happened to you. When I get message request to ship to another address I give the buyer the option to ship as addressed, or the transaction is cancelled at which point they can re-purchase providing the desired address.

Message 29 of 146
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

can you contact Apple and report the phone stolen (giving them the ID numbers)?

That won't work if the phone ends up in the Ukraine.

If the scammer is a pro the phone will be sold on anyway and who knows where it will end up but most likely in a place where blacklists mean nothing.

I'm pretty sure the physical destination shouldn't be the issue  ... if Apple blocks the phone from its registration services (the software services that not only registers and updates a phone, but give access to apps), then it is useless unless someone is able to manipulate the phone's ID.

I'm only speculating.  I have never had an Apple product stolen, but only heard of this possibility.

Message 30 of 146
latest reply