cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam! Help Please!

I ran into a very complicated situation and hope someone here can help me out. I am not a native english speaker, but I will try the best I can to explain the whole thing here.

I am an Ebay seller. Someone placed an order to purchase a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens from me for $1315 in 04/25, so I printed the shipping label via PayPal and shipped it out as usual. The order was placed on 04/25. A month later, the buyer filed an "Unauthorized Transaction" dispute with his financial institution On 05/30. Then PayPal issued a chargeback to the buyer's bank since the package was not delivered to the buyer's address on PayPal. I checked the tracking number and it shows the destination address was changed somehow while the package was still in transit and delivered to a address in a different state. I wasn't aware of that until now and I don't know who did that and how the package was rerouted mid trip.

I tried to contact the buyer via eBay email and no reply. I also tried to contact the phone number on the buyer's eBay account and the person on the phone told me that he didn't know anything about the order. Then I showed some screenshots of the buyer's information and the order to him. He said those are his address and phone number, but it is not his eBay account, which means the buyer was using another person's information (address and phone at least) on eBay and PayPal to place the order. He and I both believe it is definitely a scam. He asked me to call eBay and have them call him.

I did call eBay and PayPal several times and told them the buyer was using faked address and phone number on his account. They just kicked the ball back and forth without doing anything. eBay said they can't do anything about it since PayPal has already issued a chargeback and they didn't even want to open a case and do any investigation. PayPal told me they can't cover it since the package was not delivered to the buyer's verified address on PayPal. The most ridiculous thing is that the so-call verified address is faked and actually belong to a different person. I told them that, they just said they would dispute with the buyer's bank on behalf of me and it would take 75 days. I don't think I would get anything back after 75 days.

This is all I have known so far. I don't know if it was the buyer who placed the order and did all those things himself or someone used his eBay account to do that. But I am the only victim of the scam since the buyer has gotten his money back if his eBay account was compromised. eBay and PayPal simply don't want to do anything or take any responsibilities. I have been an ebay user for almost 10 years. I bought and sold more than a hundred thousand dollar products on eBay, and they just don't do anything to help me when things go wrong.

I am so disappointed and frustrated. What should I do to protect my own rights and interests? I would so appreciate if anyone can help me. Thanks so much in advance.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Scam! Help Please!

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for getting your seller protection that you deserve, but I would suggest filing a police report in the city where the package was delivered. 

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Hello, yes it is 99% a scam.  You have to go to your post master to start with and find out anything you can about the package bieng re routed.  Then your going to have to go file a police report for mail fraud.  So sorry this happen to you.  There is a good chance you will lose the item and the money because of some of these policys that dont work.  Best regards

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Do you have tracking that shows the item was successfully delivered to the address on his paypal account.

If so then you should be fully protected according to ebay's rules.

Let us get someone here who can help you.

@trenton@ebay

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Did I do that wrong?

If someone else could bring a mod here.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Yes,it was intercepted.

you need to call 1-800-usps customer service to learn more.

PAYPAL offers seller protection for unauthorised transaction if you prove you have shipped the item to the address on his paypal payment notice,not necessarily has to be delivered to that address.

did you ship to his Paypal address?

do you stil have the payment notice and what is the address in the notice.

go to Paypal and read how it protects seller on unauthorised transaction.

more members will come and chime in.

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

PayPal told me they can't cover it since the package was not delivered to the buyer's verified address on PayPal.--------------------------------

---------------------

Paypal rep often does not know what they are talking about,unless it has changed its policy,then seller proetction for UA is that you proved you have sent the item to his Paypal address in the payment notice .

It does not have to be delivered or signed for,just prove you have shipped to that address.

You said you printed the lable using Paypal,what address did you use,where did you get the address?

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did ship to the buyer's address on PayPal (even though that address is faked and actually belong to someone else). But PayPal told me the package has to be shipped AND delivered to the address on PayPal in order to get the seller protection.
Message 8 of 37
latest reply

does anyone know what is Ebay seller protection on UA-unauth transaction?

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

@Anonymous

alan@ebay

Another buyer redirected package with the seller left hung out to dry...

Is there any way Ebay can get with Paypal on this? This is a disaster for sellers!

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@huqingfeng2001 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did ship to the buyer's address on PayPal (even though that address is faked and actually belong to someone else). But PayPal told me the package has to be shipped AND delivered to the address on PayPal in order to get the seller protection.

go to paypal site and read seller protection on UA and call Paypal again if they are wrong.

or if there is an appeal button on that transaction,appeal,but I would call as well 

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

I printed the shipping label via PayPal interface. The address is the so called verified address on the buyer's eBay and PayPal account, and turned out that address is faked and belong to a different person.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@Anonymous

alan@ebay

Another buyer redirected package with the seller left hung out to dry...

This is UA,so Paypal and Ebay will have to follow their policies on UA.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

@huqingfeng2001 wrote:

I printed the shipping label via PayPal interface. The address is the so called verified address on the buyer's eBay and PayPal account, and turned out that address is faked and belong to a different person.

it does not matter what is wrong with that address,since he managed to enter it as his address on Paypal and he has a verified account,thats Paypal;s problem to deal with.

You did what is given to you,you shipped to the address in the Paypal payment notice,

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

intercepted-

what is USPS intercepted ?

is that mail forwarding?

Message 15 of 37
latest reply