cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales, what...?

Hi everybody!

Is something going wrong on Ebay?

Is there a huge decline in sales in general?

Message 1 of 94
latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Re: Sales, what...?

Actually some sellers on the Facebook forums post pics of their sales - especially after a weekend - I am so jealous to see the piles of packages waiting to be shipped - but these sellers are using multiple platforms to sell their items - in fact I see more posts about sales on Ebay being down. 

I know that I'm usually the Ebay cheerleader - but I'm concerned at what I see elsewhere. It's one thing to dismiss things here as sellers usually only come here when there is a problem and there are 1000's of sales everyday that go off without a hitch - it's quite another to see posts in Facebook groups where people have joined just to discuss and learn things or on youtube channels in the comments section.

Message 61 of 94
latest reply

@timemachine777  wrote: Very important word..."Had".

You are probably right but we've done well with collectibles ... seems to still be a market for certain things. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 62 of 94
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Actually some sellers on the Facebook forums post pics of their sales - especially after a weekend - I am so jealous to see the piles of packages waiting to be shipped - but these sellers are using multiple platforms to sell their items - in fact I see more posts about sales on Ebay being down. 

I sometimes photograph my packages to share with an online friend. We both have stacks, especially on Mondays. BUT we sell media and lots of it on Amazon. For me ebay is a supplement and used to be a better one. For example for ages ebay was about 40% of my business, lately, more like 20%.  But just lately things are on an upswing and I am really thinking it could be putting it all on sale for 5% off using MM.

Message 63 of 94
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

I know that I'm usually the Ebay cheerleader - but I'm concerned at what I see elsewhere. It's one thing to dismiss things here as sellers usually only come here when there is a problem and there are 1000's of sales everyday that go off without a hitch - it's quite another to see posts in Facebook groups where people have joined just to discuss and learn things or on youtube channels in the comments section.

Some things simply sell better locally/on specialty sites.  I have one particular site that gets almost all of my merchandise from a particular series of video games before I ever bring it here simply because it's a site for fans of that series, so it's easy to sell things quickly there when you're showcasing them to people who are guaranteed to be interested.  I preordered a box of keychains the other day (I only wanted one out of the box of nine) and put up an interest list for the other eight-- six of them were claimed within half an hour of me posting.  I could sell them here, sure, but it would take longer.  It makes more sense for me to put them up where I know there will be interest right away.

Message 64 of 94
latest reply

@yuzuha  wrote: Some things simply sell better locally/on specialty sites.  I have one particular site that gets almost all of my merchandise from a particular series of video games before I ever bring it here simply because it's a site for fans of that series, so it's easy to sell things quickly there when you're showcasing them to people who are guaranteed to be interested.  I preordered a box of keychains the other day (I only wanted one out of the box of nine) and put up an interest list for the other eight-- six of them were claimed within half an hour of me posting.  I could sell them here, sure, but it would take longer.  It makes more sense for me to put them up where I know there will be interest right away.

I think you just describe the full time online sales entrepreneur ... seeing opportunity with merchandise on venues where they have the best chance to sell and optimizing the sell through rate on vaious lots.  I think that may be the wave of the future ...  

So the venues that make it easier to sell on will probably grow where those who have too many rules and regulations will eventually be surpassed.

Regards,
Message 65 of 94
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@yuzuha  wrote: Some things simply sell better locally/on specialty sites.  I have one particular site that gets almost all of my merchandise from a particular series of video games before I ever bring it here simply because it's a site for fans of that series, so it's easy to sell things quickly there when you're showcasing them to people who are guaranteed to be interested.  I preordered a box of keychains the other day (I only wanted one out of the box of nine) and put up an interest list for the other eight-- six of them were claimed within half an hour of me posting.  I could sell them here, sure, but it would take longer.  It makes more sense for me to put them up where I know there will be interest right away.

I think you just describe the full time online sales entrepreneur ... seeing opportunity with merchandise on venues where they have the best chance to sell and optimizing the sell through rate on vaious lots.  I think that may be the wave of the future ...  

I agree.  And it takes a lot of work!  I have a friend who makes a full-time living off Etsy, but she spends a huge amount of time promoting her stuff on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) and attending craft shows to showcase her goods.  She doesn't just list things and sit back and wait for them to sell; she's out there constantly promoting and drumming up interest and showcasing what she makes.  I'd say she spends just as much time promoting her stuff as she does actually making it.  But it's paid off in a big way, because like I said, she's able to make a living off it.

Message 66 of 94
latest reply

@yuzuha  wrote: I agree.  And it takes a lot of work!  I have a friend who makes a full-time living off Etsy, but she spends a huge amount of time promoting her stuff on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) and attending craft shows to showcase her goods.  She doesn't just list things and sit back and wait for them to sell; she's out there constantly promoting and drumming up interest and showcasing what she makes.  I'd say she spends just as much time promoting her stuff as she does actually making it.  But it's paid off in a big way, because like I said, she's able to make a living off it.

A lot of work does not surprise me ... there should however be a better advertising method then the ones you mentioned.  Those to me would take a lot of time (we're not on any of them).  I don't look at collectibles on eBay as something that requires a lot of advertising because they are things people are looking for and people spend their time searching for them.  I think advertising is probably good in saturated categories where competition is stiff. 

Regards,
Message 67 of 94
latest reply

@luckythewinner  wrote: The best way to compete against big box stores is to either (a) not sell things that big box stores offer, or (b) have a significantly better price.

Let's review: The best way to compete against big box stores is to either (a) not sell things that big box stores offer, or (b) have a significantly better price.

And just to make it crystal clear:  The best way to compete against big box stores is to either (a) not sell things that big box stores offer, or (b) have a significantly better price.

Regards,
Message 68 of 94
latest reply

I have five Anchor Stores with over 50,000 items listed and I have seen a precipitous drop over the past three days. This isn't a seasonal/storm/event drop, there's a serious issue behind the scenes. I've done my research and judging by forum posts here, other eBay seller forums and social media posts, it's widespread

I called merchant support twice and the answer I got was a canned 'It's because of the NBA playoffs'....like there are 300 million people watching the NBA playoffs. I don't even see this sort of drop on Superbowl Sunday. I'm also a global seller, and the sales drops are there as well. 

I'm not sure what happened, but based on history I think eBay screwed up something on the back end, maybe it's search algorithms or somehow blocking Google searches...

I hope they fix it ASAP. Amazon has a much, much bigger buyer base, eBay, and merchants go where the buyers are. 

Message 69 of 94
latest reply

I have 2 selling accts - only one with a store - the non store only gets a sale once every couple of months if I'm lucky - but I don't put the time into that that I do the store. The store had 1 sale all weekend - and that was an auction that just ended - yet I've had sales on another venue with 1/5 of what I have listed here - so I do believe the algorithms changed again. Then again - checking a few of my items on another browser - and not logged in to any acct - those items checked have good placement - maybe the buyers of my items are just shopping elsewhere.

Message 70 of 94
latest reply

@premiumgiant  Now THAT reply with that type of volume really speaks to the fact that there IS an eBay issue.  And NO, its not because of the NBA playoffs because the suffering IDs here started about 2 months ago.  What a ridiculousy stupid thing to tell a professional who knows their business, right!?!

The one ID sold one item all weekend so far with several hours left in the day.  That account was averaging 32 sales per month on vintage and collectible items ... thus far 9 ... do the math and even with 8 days remaining in the month I think it will be hard pressed to get to half of the normal sales volume.

When I first started reading about throttling and other manipulation I was skeptical but through my own experience on several accounts I am pretty confident that something is being done or not being done to promote more sales on the site. 

Regards,
Message 71 of 94
latest reply

@tunicaslot

@tunicaslot wrote:

I have 2 selling accts - only one with a store - the non store only gets a sale once every couple of months if I'm lucky - but I don't put the time into that that I do the store. The store had 1 sale all weekend - and that was an auction that just ended - yet I've had sales on another venue with 1/5 of what I have listed here - so I do believe the algorithms changed again. Then again - checking a few of my items on another browser - and not logged in to any acct - those items checked have good placement - maybe the buyers of my items are just shopping elsewhere.

I think that it goes a little deeper then just the algorithms ... I think it extends to accounts as well and takes into account different bits of info to determine if the ID Account items get shown or not, meaning they don't simply block categories they simply block the entire account from having anything displayed for a time.  It could be that it is being done during prime buying times then other times.  They know when most Buyers are logged on shopping, don't ever think that they don't ...

Regards,
Message 72 of 94
latest reply

Oh I totally agree - I'm not in favor it seems with some people lately because I've been more vocal about concerns - does that all play a part - who knows? I do think returns do play a part and that's sad with remorse returns because a seller can't do anything about buyers not reading a listing.

I'm not into the tin foil hat theories but we do have to wonder what's going on.

Message 73 of 94
latest reply

Well I've only had 2 sales today, but one was a special listing for 8 items, so is that a drop or not? LOL

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 74 of 94
latest reply

Depends if you think it's a drop! I can't tell you the last time - I've had a weekend with only 1 sale - especially when I list new items daily and have a sale I started specifically for the weekend.

I had yet another sale on the other venue - maybe as I said on another thread - younger buyers who use to buy from me shop elsewhere these days. I don't know what the problem is or what the answer is - I'll continue to list and change things up here but also persue other options.

Message 75 of 94
latest reply