cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales on the decline as shoppers apparently fear to spend

I don't know about everyone else, although I don't have a store I do try to make a little extra income here. But, I have a lot of watchers but no buyers. I even have tried to use EBAY's tool to make offers to potential buyers (and give them a way out discount), and they still do not budge. Also, Is it just me or it seems like everytime I use that approach, it seems to chase them off? I see my watchlist number go down. I also see that EBAY is offering some suspension of their fees to some, but based on what they charge are they really going out of their way to help the stores out? I feel for everyone who shops and sales on here an pray that spending fears will subside so that we can continue to stay on here and make a few bucks while not having to shut down. Take care everyone.......

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

The whole nation has been brought to something like Shutdown Mode. No one's doing anything or going anywhere. Conventional go-to-the-job workers are off indefinitely. For many, certainly on an eBay seller level after months of down sales, the funds in hand and inventory are what there is to work with going forward. A one-time somewhat defined future has gone fuzzy for many.

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Thanks for your reply, I was a little fearful of opening any type of discussion (never have before), as I did not want to come across as being negative or offending other sellers.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

I am not listing anything until we start seeing a drop in cases. I do not want to put anyone in harms way. Like what if I got sick and auction gets won and paid. I would never ship a package to someone knowing I may be spreading a virus. But what if I did send it and few days later I do get sick. That would mean I was possibly contagious when I shipped the package. I rather play it safe for myself and anyone that would have won an auction. I can wait it out for the good of everyone. Stay safe and think of others and not just ourselves.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

I suspect everyone and their dog will be on here listing their whatever to make a little extra money. 

It'll be like the stock market - terrible time to sell but a great time to buy. 😐

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 33
latest reply

Maybe it gets better when the government sends out stimulus checks. Maybe it gets better as people get used to this new situation. Maybe it gets better for online retailers as people shop more online and less in person.

A lot is going to depend on things we can only guess about now. I hope it gets better. I think it probably will, but I don't know. This may rival the Great Depression, depending on how much stimulus the government decides on and how much is irrevocably lost. Think of all the businesses that will shut down and never come back. All the restaurants that can't pay their rent, utilities, business loans. 

I just looked this up: 88% of businesses have fewer than 10 employees and small businesses generate 44% of the nation's economic activity. That's nearly half of all economic activity from small business, which is I think by definition far less sophisticated than "big business". How many of those small businesses can afford to stay in business with reduced revenue or no revenue? I heard something like 25 million Americans could not afford a $400 emergency. If they run their businesses this way, they are in deep trouble, and so are we all.

This will be bad. I am doing everything I can to stay alive and stay afloat. Maybe this will be a boon for online retailers. I hope so, but I'm not counting on it. 

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Thanks for the post, so it looks like its a buyers market and they want me to give them it for free!

I will have a yard sale and not pay ebay fees if thats what it come down to.  Take Care!

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Thanks for all the info and stats. You're absolutely right, there are a lot of "ifs", so I shouldn't jump the gun. You're also spot on that people will turn to online buyine more, that's a plus, but if your someone like me who sales clocks I think that's the last thing on their list! But, I can't blame them, and must remain hopeful and do the best I can! Must try to be optimistic!

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I suspect everyone and their dog will be on here listing their whatever to make a little extra money. 

It'll be like the stock market - terrible time to sell but a great time to buy. 😐

yup, however I just did a 2 day flash sale and zip... nothing... suspect ATM no one is biting as they are likely waiting for more hysteria and expect sellers to drop prices by 50% or more as things get worse. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

EBay really needs fresh merchandise to appear, buyers are tired of seeing the same items appearing for months & sometimes years.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

yup, however I just did a 2 day flash sale and zip... nothing... suspect ATM no one is biting as they are likely waiting for more hysteria and expect sellers to drop prices by 50% or more as things get worse. 

Some profit may be better than having no money in your pockets.

Your item is really only worth what another eBay seller or  buyer pays you to own it.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

I'd love to be shopping. Period. Amazon, eBay, etsy, Williams-Sonoma, Sur la Table, wherever. I'd love to buy something from you and every other seller posting in this thread.

Unfortunately, as a person on a fixed income who no longer has any income from his/her retirement account, I'm kinda saving up for house and car insurance, utilities, property taxes, groceries . . .

Sellers could drop their prices 90%, and I'm still not sure whether I'd bite.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

you are so right, I'm already losing money not only on my purchase price plus having to pay ebay fees!
Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@writertypes sales chart.jpg

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Spending their money on guns and shells, even in Canada.  I thought TP was strange and stupid.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply