cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales on the decline as shoppers apparently fear to spend

I don't know about everyone else, although I don't have a store I do try to make a little extra income here. But, I have a lot of watchers but no buyers. I even have tried to use EBAY's tool to make offers to potential buyers (and give them a way out discount), and they still do not budge. Also, Is it just me or it seems like everytime I use that approach, it seems to chase them off? I see my watchlist number go down. I also see that EBAY is offering some suspension of their fees to some, but based on what they charge are they really going out of their way to help the stores out? I feel for everyone who shops and sales on here an pray that spending fears will subside so that we can continue to stay on here and make a few bucks while not having to shut down. Take care everyone.......

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Sales on the decline as shoppers apparently fear to spend

@ed8108 wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

yup, however I just did a 2 day flash sale and zip... nothing... suspect ATM no one is biting as they are likely waiting for more hysteria and expect sellers to drop prices by 50% or more as things get worse. 

Some profit may be better than having no money in your pockets.

Your item is really only worth what another eBay seller or  buyer pays you to own it.

sure, but I'm not that desperate to drop prices that far yet, I can hold out and hopefully not have to come to that point but no one knows how long this will really last either. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 16 of 33
latest reply

@nkmipgolf wrote:

Spending their money on guns and shells, even in Canada.  I thought TP was strange and stupid.

In case anyone tries to steal their TP cache.  Or worse...gets into that stash of Purell and baby wipes.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 33
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

yup, however I just did a 2 day flash sale and zip... nothing... suspect ATM no one is biting as they are likely waiting for more hysteria and expect sellers to drop prices by 50% or more as things get worse. 

I'd love to be shopping. Period. Amazon, eBay, etsy, Williams-Sonoma, Sur la Table, wherever. I'd love to buy something from you and every other seller posting in this thread.

Unfortunately, as a person on a fixed income who no longer has any income from his/her retirement account, I'm kinda saving up for house and car insurance, utilities, property taxes, groceries . . .

Sellers could drop their prices 90%, and I'm still not sure whether I'd bite.

I do 90% of my "shopping" online for years and years now, I sell online and buy online so I'm one of those sellers that believes in making purchases from other sellers as well as selling. It's hard to be buying when things are in such a circumstance... sure there are people out there with plenty of money to spend and spread but there are plenty out there don't and live check to check and their money is tied right now with priorities in life (food, housing, bills...), don't expect to be selling much in this time, not like I'm selling necessities for survival. But if sellers I buy from drop their prices down that far (90%) you can bet your a** I'll pull funds where I can to purchase as that's like 90% below wholesale costs!  

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 18 of 33
latest reply

Wow, What an eye opener.  I truly empathize with small business mom and pop, family owned, ebayer online stores but sorry I just can't feel a lot of empathy towards the largest retailers who already had such a high markup margin. I don't wish anyone harm because any business drop in sales affects all of  us BUT my true empathy is with the mid-margin to lower group. I'm in Tampa, FL and there probably going to be a MANDATORY closure of ALL the small retailers and restraunts, But the biggies like MCD's and drive thru service corps get to remain open. God Bless the the middle and smaller businesses, God Bless You !

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

I also would like to say I thought I saw a report that signalled EBAY and PRIME to let some price gouging go on? IF true (I don't know just commenting), They are only going to scare off some people who would've dropped by. If this is really true, not acceptable, they need to take action immediately so as not to further hurts its' sellers.
Message 20 of 33
latest reply

Stay positive 🙂

I'm small beans and still had two small sales, even with the longer handling time I had to put up.

It'll bounce back. 

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

GOOD for you I hope you continue to make those sales whether they be big or small!
Message 22 of 33
latest reply

I sent offers on 4 items that I could do a discount on. Had one sale.

Thousands of people are out of work, or on very reduced hours in many areas.

Needs will come before many of the items sold on eBay.

My wife wants some "angel hair" pasta. Doesn't need it, but would like some. Not a special trip, but as I was looking for some items that we were more in need of I also looked for the pasta.

Looking in 3 stores yesterday, and 5 today the shelves we nearly devoid of pasta, other than lasagna. People are stocking up. Pasta has a good shelf life, and is not costly.  One store had no granulated sugar.

On a good note, I was able to get her a bottle of cough syrup. The last one of the kind she uses, and many empty spaces on the shelf at a major retailer . She was not allowed out of the car. She has respiratory issues already.

I sell mostly as a "keep busy" thing, but my wife does use her eBay sales money to buy books, DVDs, some clothes.  I will be less "busy", and she will be buying less.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Thanks for your share, all of you kind EBAYERS have made me feel so "not alone" as we enter into possible isolating. At my local grocer, the most reasonable meat (Chicken) signs saying they were completely out, all they had left were steak! Like I can afford that. As you also sated, pasta AND rice all out. I actually saw on you tube some man who was showing the rooms of his house and each one was stock so unbelievably high with all the products we discussed as well as other shelf products. It was really sank my heart to see how some would pride themselves while others are scattering to get essentials.  I'm on a fixed income and I have resorted to my college days of eating ramen noodles. My doctor several months ago (before all this) scolded me about my bad cholesterol count (and I'm usually a health nut thats why he was surprised), but wait til I see him this month. I'm going to tell him if he wants to give me a handout I will take it otherwise, I have to eat to stay alive!

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

Chart shows sales for one account up in the last 31 days, and from same period last year, but sales were poor in those periods, so the fantastic up spike is really misleading. Also the sales were mainly in the last week of Feb.

up, but pathetic.jpg

We will be fine. Hope others that rely on eBay get some relief.

Hope that this virus can be handled by the world.

Stay safe.  Stay home. (if possible)

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

you and your loved ones also.
Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@vintagacy wrote:

I'm in Tampa, FL and there probably going to be a MANDATORY closure of ALL the small retailers and restraunts, But the biggies like MCD's and drive thru service corps get to remain open. God Bless the the middle and smaller businesses, God Bless You !

It has nothing to do with size.  Where I am, all restaurants are closed for dine-in service; however, they're allowed to remain open for takeout/curbside pickup/drive-thru and delivery.

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

@andrew547 wrote:

Maybe it gets better when the government sends out stimulus checks. Maybe it gets better as people get used to this new situation. Maybe it gets better for online retailers as people shop more online and less in person.

A lot is going to depend on things we can only guess about now. I hope it gets better. I think it probably will, but I don't know. This may rival the Great Depression, depending on how much stimulus the government decides on and how much is irrevocably lost. Think of all the businesses that will shut down and never come back. All the restaurants that can't pay their rent, utilities, business loans. 

I just looked this up: 88% of businesses have fewer than 10 employees and small businesses generate 44% of the nation's economic activity. That's nearly half of all economic activity from small business, which is I think by definition far less sophisticated than "big business". How many of those small businesses can afford to stay in business with reduced revenue or no revenue? I heard something like 25 million Americans could not afford a $400 emergency. If they run their businesses this way, they are in deep trouble, and so are we all.

This will be bad. I am doing everything I can to stay alive and stay afloat. Maybe this will be a boon for online retailers. I hope so, but I'm not counting on it. 

That's what worries me. All the small businesses and jobs that will never come back. Even some of the big chains may not re-open some stores if this goes on too long.

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@nkmipgolf wrote:

Spending their money on guns and shells, even in Canada.  I thought TP was strange and stupid.

In case anyone tries to steal their TP cache.  Or worse...gets into that stash of Purell and baby wipes.

I was out in some stores today and what was on the now bare shelves due to panic buying makes no sense to me. TP and such ok, maybe as the stocks were depleted so rapidly in the first place. But half the Health & Beauty shelves are bare and anti diarrhea is gone as are laxatives. Couldn't decide? But why wipe out the vitamin & supplement section? And who needs to stockpile shampoo?

It's also interesting to note what's been 'left behind'.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply