cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales down,business is dying

It is official for me : business is agonizing here. After all these years I can't make enough to pay my bills,and it's been a good while.I talked to Ebay several times about what could be the problem,but obviously you never get the answer that solves your problem.

We sold before 80-100 packages a day,now it is only about 30 (we make a very small amount of money on a pack).....or even less.I usually check other,top rated,high-volume sellers,but nobody sells and that is not a coincidence,SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG !

I believe Chinese sellers are killing us,plus the high-volume wholesalers,and I don't believe anymore this trend will be reversed ever again.If we are lucky we still make something,so I can't say I leave Ebay ,but this is not gonna be my main income source anymore.

I'm sorry if I sound too depressive (I am), I would love to hear your opinion!

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

I don't think the problem lies with the seller, I have a 100% feedback in 9 years and my sales just aren't happening this year, last year was  the best I've ever had, and only about 6 returns in those 9 years.  

Message 46 of 49
latest reply

Sorry to hear about your business.  I am in the same boat as are many others since eBay rolled out promoted listings.  eBay shows promoted listings first and has been doing so since the start of the year.  It's had a huge negative impact on traffic and sales for those who choose not to use it or cant use it ( there are limitations).  The primiary limitation for most eBay'ers is promoted listings is only available for multiple quantity listings.  If you are like me and sell one unique item at a time, you can't promote your listing.  Supposedly that capability is forthcoming.

My advise is to look at other sales channels.  I recently started selling on Amazon and have been on Etsy for some time.  The biggest barrier to selling on Amazon for me was having to provide UPC/barcode deatils but they are easy and relatively cheap to get online. Etsy also offers a Shopify type of website for $15/mo called Pattern.  Your inventory automatically updates from Etsy into your Pattern store and it comes with a blog and some others features that let you customize much more than your eBay store.  

What's frustrating is that eBay didnt take the time to inform sellers of the potential impacts of promoted listings.  I understand they need to survive in the Amazon era however they are pushing lots or sellers and revenue away and losing a grip on the unique product niche that made their business to begin with.

Message 47 of 49
latest reply

@gooddriftwood wrote:

Sorry to hear about your business.  I am in the same boat as are many others since eBay rolled out promoted listings.  eBay shows promoted listings first and has been doing so since the start of the year.  It's had a huge negative impact on traffic and sales for those who choose not to use it or cant use it ( there are limitations).  The primiary limitation for most eBay'ers is promoted listings is only available for multiple quantity listings.  If you are like me and sell one unique item at a time, you can't promote your listing.  Supposedly that capability is forthcoming.

My advise is to look at other sales channels.  I recently started selling on Amazon and have been on Etsy for some time.  The biggest barrier to selling on Amazon for me was having to provide UPC/barcode deatils but they are easy and relatively cheap to get online. Etsy also offers a Shopify type of website for $15/mo called Pattern.  Your inventory automatically updates from Etsy into your Pattern store and it comes with a blog and some others features that let you customize much more than your eBay store.  

What's frustrating is that eBay didnt take the time to inform sellers of the potential impacts of promoted listings.  I understand they need to survive in the Amazon era however they are pushing lots or sellers and revenue away and losing a grip on the unique product niche that made their business to begin with.

You do realize the OP will probably not see our post since this thread is almost a year old.

Message 48 of 49
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 49 of 49
latest reply