cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales down,business is dying

It is official for me : business is agonizing here. After all these years I can't make enough to pay my bills,and it's been a good while.I talked to Ebay several times about what could be the problem,but obviously you never get the answer that solves your problem.

We sold before 80-100 packages a day,now it is only about 30 (we make a very small amount of money on a pack).....or even less.I usually check other,top rated,high-volume sellers,but nobody sells and that is not a coincidence,SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG !

I believe Chinese sellers are killing us,plus the high-volume wholesalers,and I don't believe anymore this trend will be reversed ever again.If we are lucky we still make something,so I can't say I leave Ebay ,but this is not gonna be my main income source anymore.

I'm sorry if I sound too depressive (I am), I would love to hear your opinion!

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

@maxxilano

Despite that others seem to be focusing on what they consider as poor FB being your problem, you'll have to take that with a grain of salt because typically those wanting to blame the sellers' problem on FB is based on a cursory glance. The fact is that any knowledgeable seller here knows that 50% or less of buyers ever leave FB in the first place. Given that and based on the FB shown for you, your numbers suggest a much higher percentage of satisfied buyers than is typically seen for those competitive Chinese sellers.

In fact, over the last 12 months, your FB has improved percentage wise among those buyers actually leaving FB and as you say, you're currently at 99.5%.

maxxilano.JPG

As for those buyers leaving negatives, which it appears some replies only took those into account. Again, a cursory glance is hardly having done due diligence on one's part to criticize another seller.

Examples:
Seller Negative: "Really small 😞 and is not a one size fits all. Thin material
The listing clearly states S,M,L One size fits all ... Spandex ... Fits 90-175 lbs/5'2"-6'. Of course this couldn't possibly have been a 5'5" 215# woman that would buy something on eBay regardless of what a sellers' description clearly states. Yeah, okay.

Seller Negative: "COULDN'T SEE THAT THEY SAID ALL GRAY!!!"
While personally I think you could redo that listing to be slightly less confusing, the listing clearly requires that buyers select size, number or pairs of sock and the color desired. This buyer clearly admits that they made a mistake but they & eBay feel you deserve the negative for the buyers' lack of personal accountability. In the last 30 days alone of the 11 buyers who purchased & left FB for that particular item, 10 of them left clear positives. But of course that doesn't mean anything, right? Yeah, okay.

I could go on but you get the idea and the large majority of those buyers left negative FB without ever contacting you as the seller about an issue. Of course that never happens on eBay, right? Yeah, okay. If they had they might have found what other buyers who had problems found which is that you were providing after the sale support.

Seller Positive: "I had a slight problem but seller worked with me. A+++"
Seller Positive: "Should have read more carefully. Seller did effectively address my issue, though"

A little more than a cursory glance clearly shows that your buyers are 99.5% happy with having chosen to do business with you. This is eBay and to only have .5% of your buyers leaving less than positive FB, especially in your niche of products and with your relaively high volume of sales, is commendable in my opinion. And your DSR scoring ...

Item as describedStarStarStarStarStar4.9/5.06210
CommunicationStarStarStarStarStar5.0/5.06482
Shipping timeStarStarStarStarStar5.0/5.06671
Shipping and handling chargesStarStarStarStarStar5.0/5.06550

As for addressing the purpose of your post in the first place, slow diminished sales. I think you already have the answer to that when you say "I believe Chinese sellers are killing us,plus the high-volume wholesalers". Given your niche of products I completely agree with that and honestly, as far as eBay sales are concerned. I doubt seriously that you'll be able to turn that tide short of revamping what you sell. I know that's not what any seller wants to hear but I believe it's true. In your niche eBay has enabled this in large part along with USPS.

The fact is eCommerce competition is fighting for each ones own survival today. If you're not at the top of the food chain in procurement cost, have low cost of operations like the Chinese sellers and all the perks given to them by eBay & USPS alone, then you're likely not going to be competitive at the retail level. At least not on this venue. eBay itself is scrambling everyday to find it's own niche again and my personal opinion of that is, too little too late for them to ever again be "all that".

The longer I'm on eBay, the more convinced I am that idiocy in the world is growing at an alarming rate. No where is it more visible than the view from eBay itself.
Message 16 of 49
latest reply

You are awesome!Thank you for this detailed answer!!

Message 17 of 49
latest reply

Brad - hats off for being IMO the most committed responder on this forum. I concur 200% with what you said. The seller's feedback would never prevent me from purchasing them.

Keep up your excellent analysis and posts.

@brad62853 wrote:

@maxxilano

Despite that others seem to be focusing on what they consider as poor FB being your problem, you'll have to take that with a grain of salt because typically those wanting to blame the sellers' problem on FB is based on a cursory glance. The fact is that any knowledgeable seller here knows that 50% or less of buyers ever leave FB in the first place. Given that and based on the FB shown for you, your numbers suggest a much higher percentage of satisfied buyers than is typically seen for those competitive Chinese sellers.

In fact, over the last 12 months, your FB has improved percentage wise among those buyers actually leaving FB and as you say, you're currently at 99.5%.

maxxilano.JPG

As for those buyers leaving negatives, which it appears some replies only took those into account. Again, a cursory glance is hardly having done due diligence on one's part to criticize another seller.

Examples:
Seller Negative: "Really small 😞 and is not a one size fits all. Thin material
The listing clearly states S,M,L One size fits all ... Spandex ... Fits 90-175 lbs/5'2"-6'. Of course this couldn't possibly have been a 5'5" 215# woman that would buy something on eBay regardless of what a sellers' description clearly states. Yeah, okay.

Seller Negative: "COULDN'T SEE THAT THEY SAID ALL GRAY!!!"
While personally I think you could redo that listing to be slightly less confusing, the listing clearly requires that buyers select size, number or pairs of sock and the color desired. This buyer clearly admits that they made a mistake but they & eBay feel you deserve the negative for the buyers' lack of personal accountability. In the last 30 days alone of the 11 buyers who purchased & left FB for that particular item, 10 of them left clear positives. But of course that doesn't mean anything, right? Yeah, okay.

I could go on but you get the idea and the large majority of those buyers left negative FB without ever contacting you as the seller about an issue. Of course that never happens on eBay, right? Yeah, okay. If they had they might have found what other buyers who had problems found which is that you were providing after the sale support.

Seller Positive: "I had a slight problem but seller worked with me. A+++"
Seller Positive: "Should have read more carefully. Seller did effectively address my issue, though"

A little more than a cursory glance clearly shows that your buyers are 99.5% happy with having chosen to do business with you. This is eBay and to only have .5% of your buyers leaving less than positive FB, especially in your niche of products and with your relaively high volume of sales, is commendable in my opinion. And your DSR scoring ...

Item as describedStarStarStarStarStar4.9/5.06210
CommunicationStarStarStarStarStar5.0/5.06482
Shipping timeStarStarStarStarStar5.0/5.06671
Shipping and handling chargesStarStarStarStarStar5.0/5.06550

As for addressing the purpose of your post in the first place, slow diminished sales. I think you already have the answer to that when you say "I believe Chinese sellers are killing us,plus the high-volume wholesalers". Given your niche of products I completely agree with that and honestly, as far as eBay sales are concerned. I doubt seriously that you'll be able to turn that tide short of revamping what you sell. I know that's not what any seller wants to hear but I believe it's true. In your niche eBay has enabled this in large part along with USPS.

The fact is eCommerce competition is fighting for each ones own survival today. If you're not at the top of the food chain in procurement cost, have low cost of operations like the Chinese sellers and all the perks given to them by eBay & USPS alone, then you're likely not going to be competitive at the retail level. At least not on this venue. eBay itself is scrambling everyday to find it's own niche again and my personal opinion of that is, too little too late for them to ever again be "all that".

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

30 packages aday is all, huh?  Boo who.

You're getitng killed by the Chinese, huh?  Boo who.....says the guy who can't sell but one package a week....

I would only feel bad for any employees you might have (or have had).....(sigh)

Message 19 of 49
latest reply

feedback should be required by ebay, to be left for small sellers who have a relatively low feedback count. Makes it a more even playing field.

FYI: 100 sales a day on ebay is NOT indicative of a "small" seller...
Message 20 of 49
latest reply

Hi @maxxilano I don't want to concentrate too much on the negatives, except to say, I would stop advertising the problematic item as leggings and pants and leave it as stockings, tights and footless tights. If you can find out denier for those items it would help your buyer's immensely.

Another listing I looked at, because it came up, as one of the top best match, are your men's socks. Your title says 12 pairs and shows a $5.49 price point. When I clicked in, that's when the price range was shown and $5.49 is actually for 3 pairs and 12 pairs are $12.89.

I'm not saying anything about your price points, just wanted to say that people don't like when the see a specific quantity in the title and price in the search results, only to click in and find something different. The item # is 321196912751 if you want to check the listing and find out what's wrong or change the title.

Another thing that may be hurting your sales, is the fact that you are located in California and that is also where a lot of Chinese sellers have warehouses (or at least use as item location).

When people want to shop US sellers and they've been burned ordering from a seller with item location CA, only to have their purchase ship from China, they start to avoid buying from sellers in those locations. It's totally unfair, but it's the nature of the beast on today's eBay.

I agree with april. You need to have someone proofread your TOS for grammatical errors and spacing issues. Not only does it make it seem like you are a foreign seller, but it is unprofessional.

It may also be time to retire some of your stock that is going out of trend and look for some new items. This will help not only with new customers, but returning customers who may have already purchased everything of current interest.

Now, we need to talk about what your dashboard looks like. How many cancelled orders do you have for out of stock? Do you have any cases closed without seller resolution?

While some people have said they wouldn't buy from you because of the negative feedback and others have said they would because your overall score is food for your volume, none of that means anything to eBay.

Feedback percentage and DSRs are no longer used as a measure of seller performance. What IS used as a measure of seller performance are the cases I mentioned above. That's why you need to look at your dashboard.

Also, if you run any GTC listings and have any that have gone 30 days without a sale, you need to end those and use sell similar (not relist) to get fresh new history and wipe out that negative buying history, because Cassini hates it and will throw any listings like that into a black hole.

That's all for now, but please remember to check your dashboard.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 21 of 49
latest reply

I think the OP should also stop leaving snarky responses to feedback left. Your feedback is your calling card. Instead of making future buyers trust you, you are showing them you are difficult when things go bad. It's not as bad as some, but remember your audience when leaving a follow up is NOT the buyer who negged you, it's future potential buyers.

Message 22 of 49
latest reply

@maxxilano

You're very welcome and I think both @savanna.dance and @the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth have also offered some good advice & suggestions based on their long time experiences here on eBay.

I think savanna makes a very good point about redoing your TOS to correct spelling, punctuation and the overall message to prospective buyers. This is just a draft but maybe it's something to start with and hopefully they will each return to offer their opinions ...

FEEDBACK
As a seller, Positive Feedback is very important to us, as are our customers. We want all of our customers to be happy with their orders. If we have made an error we do apologize.

We are only human and due to our high volume of sales we can make mistakes. But we are committed to make our complete customer satisfaction! Please let us know if there is any issue with your purchases and we will make that right!

SHIPPING DETAILS
We aim to get orders shipped within 24 hours of your purchase, Monday thru Friday, after confirmed receipt of payment. Shipping is Free within the United States and we use USPS delivery services with tracking provided. Delivery times can vary depending on your location to us so check your tracking number to follow your package's progress. If you have any question about the progress of your package please let us know and we'll find out for you.

We only ship to the confirmed PayPal shipping address provided with your payment confirmation to us by PayPal. Please be sure the address you wish to have your purchase shipped to is the same as the primary address you have on file with PayPal. If you would like us to ship to another address, you must add that to your PayPal address book and select that location at time of checkout.

We do ship international but we don't mark the item as a "gift"or reduce it's value for VAT costs to various countries. International buyers are responsible for all taxes and fees your country may impose on the shipment to you.

PAYMENT DETAILS
PayPal is the preferred method of payment. PayPal also offers several credit card options for your convenience. Please complete the checkout process within 24 hours of making your purchase. If you have any questions about your method of payment please contact us for assistance prior to committing to your purchase.

Note: If you use elect to use PayPal eChecks for payment, please be aware that order processing time could take up to an additional 6 business days for your payment to clear.

RETURN POLICY
You can return or exchange your item within 30 days of receiving it. Full refund of the item's price will be given but buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. We do not accept returns on worn, washed, altered or otherwise used items.

We strive to respond to inquiries quickly and professionally. If you need assistance with anything please contact us through eBay. We are here and more than happy to be of help!!

I also especially liked the advice that the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth offered about FB follow-up comments. While I'm sure we all understand that urge to sometimes respond to certain buyers' opinions, remember those are just THEIR opinions. By taking them personally and leaving public FB comments, you're actually validating them for other prospective buyers to see. Best to just move on and ignore those. Anything said that isn't allowable by eBay, pursue those through eBay for FB removal and/or removal of the comment itself.

On the issue that savanna brought up about the socks. I personally have mixed feelings about that although I completely understand where that comes from. Do I agree that it would be more professionally presented if you either changed the title of those listings or incurr the additional cost of a sub title for those to extend the listing description, certainly it would.

However, I'm also a strong advocate of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". When I did a little research on the item number that savanna provided, here's what I found.

a***k ( 520) "excellent ebay seller" for 3-pair @ $5.49
w***r ( 507) "Awsom thx" for 6 pair @ $8.49
n***e ( 219) "Fast shipping!" for 3 pair @ $5.49
7***c ( 1658) "Fast shipping. Hassle free transaction. Great seller!!!" for 12 pair @ $12.89
2***4 ( 309) "GOOD BUY WILL BUY FROM AGAIN fast shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" for 12 pair @ $12.89
t***r ( 3924) "Wickedly fast shipping, great product." for 12 pair @ $12.89
w***o ( 507) "Great thanx" for 6 pair @ $8.49
e***a ( 28) "Great Seller, Fast Delivery, Highly Recommended" for 12 pair @ $12.89

These are buyers of that item in the last 30-days that left FB for their purchase, all of it positive, There were no negatives or neutrals left. To me that says buyers had no issue negotiating the item setup, following directions and completing their purchases without issue. But I do agree with savanna that while what I'm providing indicates positive results, we can't know how many other prospective buyers seen the title description, clicked through and then hit the back button because they seen the varying price structure. IMHO though, those are probably buyers I didn't want in the first place.

The longer I'm on eBay, the more convinced I am that idiocy in the world is growing at an alarming rate. No where is it more visible than the view from eBay itself.
Message 23 of 49
latest reply

Hi Brad, that's why I said it wasn't about price point, but it may be a simple error the OP can fix. Buyers do express their frustration with these multi variation listings when the search price and title don't match when they click it. It definitely could be a reason for a decline in unit sales and if I were the OP I would take a look at all the multi vacation listings and make sure they aren't wonky.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 24 of 49
latest reply

OP - you've gotten excellent advice on this thread.

The only advice I can add is that you have advantages over your Chinese competition.

You're a USA seller

You're located in California

I would state that I'm a USA seller in the title. Judging by the pics you use, I would assume you're a Chinese seller w/

a fulfillment center in CA. and I'd pass on purchasing from you. I'd keep the pics in the description as is, and change

the main pics. In the title, I'd also lose the commas between S, M, L and space them. You can fit USA SELLER in the title

by losing the commas and, "layering" or your poorest title keyword.

You're located in - by far - the most populated state in the USA = the most buyers. Use it to your advantage

In the description portion of your listing, I'd reemphasize that you're a USA seller located in CA and state:

Attn; California buyers - We're an American seller located in Redondo Beach. We ship within 24 hours and you will

receive your item within one to three days of your purchase! Add whatever other verbage you want concerning

guaranteed pre-paid returns that Chinese don't offer etc.

Just about everything everyone has said here avoids the elephant in the room. Chinese w/ better price points, better

visibility, larger profit margin, and the undying, unconditional love from upper management. BTW... it's only going to get worse.

Africa, India, Singapore, etc. will continue adding more and more items possibly driving prices down even further, if that's

even possible.

I'd look into gradually changing your business model to higher end, quality items and diminishing your exposure to your

much better positioned competition.

Message 25 of 49
latest reply

Morning Savanna! Hope you had a nice weekend.

I agree with you that it is possible one of the reasons for the OP's sluggish sales could be related to these titles maybe being misleading for some buyers. Overall though when I look at theirs against competitors, I'm not so sure. Honestly, I'm having a hard time understanding the OP's stated sluggish sales.

I did a basic G search using "92% nylon 8% spandex one size fits all" which I took from a couple lines of their item description." About half way down on the first page was a link to eBay which lead me to this ... http://www.ebay.com/bhp/nylon-leggings.

The first result is a competitor, also in CA, despite that their pricing is actually a bit higher with shipping (unless a buyer orders $35 or more). What I noticed was different of course is that seller doesn't include in the title XS,S,M,L and in the description also doesn't state that but instead says "Juniors" in the item specifics.

The next 3 down are the OP's listings and while 2 of those do include the XS,S,M,L in the title, the first of those 3 doesn't. Maybe the OP could alter those if that's what you're referring too? But also when you look at those 3 listings of the OP's, OMG! They've sold in the high 100's of each one of them.

Overall though I think you're right that the seller could, and should, spend the time to review all of their listings for setup. I did notice for example with I clicked women's clothing, there was a listing for men's socks. But that appears to be mis-categorized in the store rather than being in the incorrect eBay category. Because when you click on it, it clearly says it's in the men's clothing as far as eBay is concerned. So yeah, I think some time spent reviewing/revamping certainly couldn't hurt the OP's sales any.

Message 26 of 49
latest reply

"I talked to Ebay several times about what could be the problem,but obviously you never get the answer

that solves your problem."

It's not ebay's problem, it's your problem to solve.

Your feedback is pretty good but as it has been pointed out earlier, you're selling products that can be

had cheaper. For all practical purposes, it is pointless to sell anything made in China as they have sellers

already covering product not only on here but on comeptiting websites.

I am not big on jewelry outside of watches. I was going through listing after listing of Chinese made

watches and finding some models I liked, I then did a search on here and Amazon and AliExpress. In

each case I found the watches at my buy price plus free shipping. There was no point getting involved.

The only advantage to carrying Chinese products is if you carry them in conjunction with other non-Chinese

made product and even if you charge a bit more, a customer will buy the Chinese made goods as it saves the

customer some hunting time by ordering in one place.

Creating a package of Chinese made goods might work. Getting customized versions of Chinese made

product does work for some sellers. Carrying off the shelf product from China is only going to get you

beat up.

It seems for the average small seller the only way to make money is to create their own product or sell hot

collectables (a get in early, get out fast market) or now out of production limited supply goods. The Chinese

have mastered the fine art of racing to the bottom and you just have to step out of the way. When they are

selling watches with free shipping at $3.00 each they are not making any money either.

I think i should just copy this response and repost it everytime I see my sales are so slow now post.

Message 27 of 49
latest reply

So it is pricepoints and titles that is the problem?

Not the quality of the merchandise he is selling?

So buyers will see all the problems mentioned in feedback and keep on buying.

They will compute the feedback and figure their odds on them not receiving an item that does not fit or has holes?

No one thinks that maybe he should upgrade his merchandise?

Just keep selling problemed items where the flaws are indicated over and over again by unhappy buyers?  

Isn't that what you guys hate about the Chinese sellers?

Message 28 of 49
latest reply

I have read through all these messages and I have to disagree that your feedback has nothing to do with it.

When I am searching for a product where there are several different sellers selling similar items for similar prices the first thing I do is click on feedback and then negatives.  I look through to see what the most common problem is.  If there is a consistant problem that people complain about that would cause me to not want your product, I immedately take that seller off my list.  This allows me to norrow down the sellers and choose the one I am most likely to be happy with.

I am not the only buyer who purchases in this manner.

Message 29 of 49
latest reply

emerald40 wrote:

So it is pricepoints and titles that is the problem? No

Not the quality of the merchandise he is selling? No

So buyers will see all the problems mentioned in feedback and keep on buying. Yes

They will compute the feedback and figure their odds on them not receiving an item that does not fit or has holes? No

No one thinks that maybe he should upgrade his merchandise? No

Just keep selling problemed items where the flaws are indicated over and over again by unhappy buyers?

What, All 8 of the unhappy out of the last 743 buyers who left FB in the last 30 days? It's pretty much an accepted fact that roughly 50% of buyers ever leave FB at all and that unhappy buyers ALWAYS do. Given that ratio then one could assume that 743 represented 1/2 of a total of 1486 buyers of which only 8 left less than positive FB. That would be around 0.05% of all buyers were unhappy with product and/or service. So I'd say Yes, keep selling that product.

Isn't that what you guys hate about the Chinese sellers? I personally don't hate the Chinese sellers but I don't support them either.

Message 30 of 49
latest reply