cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPRING SELLER UPDATE has arrived

I just read the important news over on 

ecommercebytes

Many changes - new store tiers - stricter return policies - lots more.

Your thoughts??

Message 1 of 215
latest reply
214 REPLIES 214

for sellers sales are thin.

for buyers, pickings are thin. I can't tell you how many thinga I keep looking for and never find. 20 years ago there would be multiple all the time, but now so many of the good sellers are gone and so many that are left don't know what they're doing.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 91 of 215
latest reply

Please tell us how to put the used, vintage and new old stock items into the cataloque?

Message 92 of 215
latest reply

If you loose sales because people want to know they can return something  free,then that is a worst case scenerio than having to pay return ship back. Shoppers DO NOT like to pay return shipping for something they do not like or want. They can open a snad anyway like Epo said.

Message 93 of 215
latest reply

This is a deal breaker. Top Rate Seller Status is no longer something I can afford to be part of.

The new free returns schmazzle is for Top Rated Seller PLUS status, not Top Rated Seller.   People need to add the + when discussing to avoid panic and lemming jumping.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 94 of 215
latest reply

If everybody ran their own businesses their own way here then it would be doomsday for this site. There has to be guiding principles based on how to do this in a responsible,and correct way. People who have their own websites do it their way but their way is often the way most people do business here, minus a few things of course.

Message 95 of 215
latest reply

I want to make sure this gets seen so I'm repeating a post.  Below is a statement from a blue and it seems amazingly seller-friendly.  Of course, you'll pay a boatload in return shipping costs but if it eliminates that "ebay had to step in" defect...

----

If you offer free returns, and a buyer returns an item that's not in the same condition as when you shipped it, you as the seller decide the appropriate amount to refund and then your job is done.

We want to make sure you’re protected, so if a buyer asks us to "step in" we will resolve the issue directly with the buyer and you won't have to worry about any buyer protection cases.  In some cases, we may give the buyer the rest of their refund and in other cases we may deny their request, but it will never affect your seller standards and we’ll monitor buyers who ask us to step in closely to ensure they’re not taking advantage of the program.  Also, if the buyer is unhappy with the outcome and leaves negative or neutral feedback, we’ll automatically remove it from your reputation.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 96 of 215
latest reply

@sharingthelandwrote:

----

If you offer free returns, and a buyer returns an item that's not in the same condition as when you shipped it, you as the seller decide the appropriate amount to refund and then your job is done.

We want to make sure you’re protected, so if a buyer asks us to "step in" we will resolve the issue directly with the buyer and you won't have to worry about any buyer protection cases.  In some cases, we may give the buyer the rest of their refund and in other cases we may deny their request, but it will never affect your seller standards and we’ll monitor buyers who ask us to step in closely to ensure they’re not taking advantage of the program.  Also, if the buyer is unhappy with the outcome and leaves negative or neutral feedback, we’ll automatically remove it from your reputation.

I have to wonder what tabs they will keep on sellers that don't refund the full amount.  I know escalating a case to ebay usually resulted in an unresolved by seller defect, so I find it hard to believe that now having ebay pay part of a refund or have to step in is now okay.  Why now will it not affect sellers' standards?

Message 97 of 215
latest reply

I like the entry store. The seller protection is laughable. The policy that covers items that are returned used when they were sent new is a current policy and is a hollow promise. I had an item returned to me used - ebay refunded the buyer, kept my fee, gave me a defect (which I could care less about), and forced me to pay for return shipping. The scammer of a buyer said the item was defective, however it is not; I have it here and it's perfectly fine, but used nonetheless.

Message 98 of 215
latest reply

More pondering:  Ebay is desperate to have this 30-day, free return shipping thing and hence be able to blast the fabulous buyer perk into the sky like a batsignal for all to see.   

I'm imagining a scenario of seller gets a rock back instead of a $400 bracelet.  Seller decides the appropriate amount to refund is $1 and ebay says to the seller, "your job is done."  Ebay picks up the remaining $399.   How long do we think this is going to last?  

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 99 of 215
latest reply

@fern*woodwrote:

@sharingthelandwrote:

I want to make sure this gets seen so I'm repeating a post.  Below is a statement from a blue and it seems amazingly seller-friendly.  Of course, you'll pay a boatload in return shipping costs but if it eliminates that "ebay had to step in" defect...

----

I have to wonder what tabs they will keep on sellers that don't refund the full amount.  I know escalating a case to ebay usually resulted in an unresolved by seller defect, so I find it hard to believe that now having ebay pay part of a refund or have to step in is now okay.  When now will it not affect sellers' standards?

I missed the part where they said they would give the rest out of THEIR pocket.

Message 100 of 215
latest reply

@memphiskansasgirl123wrote:

Simplified Returns

Streamlined return policy options, and a 30-day free returns requirement for Top Rated Plus benefits.

• Starting in May 2018, we will reduce the number of returns policies.
  • Starting June 1, 2018, Top Rated sellers will be required to offer 30-day free returns to be eligible to receive the Top Rated Plus discount and badge. Some category exceptions apply.

This is a deal breaker.    Top Rate Seller Status is no longer something I can afford to be part of.   One, (1) return can eat up 4-5 sales when you factor in the orignal and return shipping cost and not to mention you will also be giving back the purchase price.   

eBay is painting themselves and sellers into into a corner.   I am assuming this includes returns for  "any" reason.   In summary, your fees (the cost of doing business here ) has now tripled,  you will be losing money almost as fast as it will be coming in.

For those sellers who want to remain Top Rated Sellers you will even more need to pick out carefully your items  to sell.   No more items that  are costly to ship, (first class shipping only.)   eBay will soon see the buyer's choice of product  will dwelled down to peanuts.   Peanuts only for sale.   With the sharp increase in shipping cost, this is a bad decision. 

Free return promote reckless disregard for making informed decisions when buying----it always will be on the seller's dime, so who cares. 

I can not see very many Top rated sellers remaining who sell:

Shoes 

Clothing 

Tools 

Heavy Items etc,etc  

I truly love selling on eBay. but I am selling to make money to support my family.   I can not take on the unpredictable / risky behavior of some buyers by absorbing free returns for any reason.   When its my fault; I made a mistake, the return has always been free to my buyers, but come June 1, 2018, I can not image footing the bill for a return for any reason.  Geesh!

Message 101 of 215
latest reply

Simplified Returns

Streamlined return policy options, and a 30-day free returns requirement for Top Rated Plus benefits.

• Starting in May 2018, we will reduce the number of returns policies.
  • Starting June 1, 2018, Top Rated sellers will be required to offer 30-day free returns to be eligible to receive the Top Rated Plus discount and badge. Some category exceptions apply.

This is a deal breaker.    Top Rate Seller Status is no longer something I can afford to be part of.   One, (1) return can eat up 4-5 sales when you factor in the orignal and return shipping cost and not to mention you will also be giving back the purchase price.   

eBay is painting themselves and sellers into into a corner.   I am assuming this includes returns for  "any" reason.   In summary, your fees (the cost of doing business here ) has now tripled,  you will be losing money almost as fast as it will be coming in.

For those sellers who want to remain Top Rated Sellers you will even more need to pick out carefully your items  to sell.   No more items that  are costly to ship, (first class shipping only.)   eBay will soon see the buyer's choice of product  will dwelled down to peanuts.   Peanuts only for sale.   With the sharp increase in shipping cost, this is a bad decision. 

Free return promote reckless disregard for making informed decisions when buying----it always will be on the seller's dime, so who cares. 

I can not see very many Top rated sellers remaining who sell:

Shoes 

Clothing 

Tools 

Heavy Items etc,etc  

I truly love selling on eBay. but I am selling to make money to support my family.   I can not take on the unpredictable / risky behavior of some buyers by absorbing free returns for any reason.   When its my fault; I made a mistake, the return has always been free to my buyers, but come June 1, 2018, I can not image footing the bill for a return for any reason.  Geesh!

What is the monthly amount of your TRS+ "discount?"  You can still be TRS without offering free return shipping.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 102 of 215
latest reply

Message 103 of 215
latest reply

@sharingthelandwrote:

----

Who has the extra money to pay a  boatload of return shipping cost (for things not your fault), (for any reason).    If you are a seller on top of your game, the odds of having  eBay to step in are slim.    This is comparing apples to oranges.   

Message 104 of 215
latest reply

Free returns promote reckless disregard for making informed decisions when buying----it always will be on the seller's dime, so who cares. 

Message 105 of 215
latest reply