cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLERS UNFAIRLY BEING SCAMMED TO PAY REFUND MAIL CHARGES ON IMPULSIVE BUYERS WHO LIE !!

Since EBAY gurarantee's customer satisfaction, this opens to door for people to easily get their refunds and all they have to do is LIE and ebay overlooks the lie and charges the shipping fees to the seller. 

This is ridiculous !!!  Here is my story. I recently lost my job last year still unemployed so now forced to sell all my jewelry I have brought over the years to keep my home for my kids. I dont have a husband or a significant other and no other means of income, I have been applying for jobs for months with application after application but still have not found another job.  I listed a ring for sale with diamonds at half of the orginal purchase price. There were many watchers for the ring, one person made an offer and i counter offered it but then they came back asking me to take off an additional $ 2.00 on a diamond ring, as ridiculous as it was i agreed. This person had over 6500 in sales and buys with a 100% rating so i agreed even though i thought it was a very trivial request.  She saw the pictures which were magnified more than 10 times but asked for a refund based on the item was not received as not described. She said the diamonds were the bottom of the barrel  and basically claimed my ring was ugly. Never once asked in the emails anything about the color or  any concerns she might have before the sale in both emails for haggling the price down she could have easily asked any concerns. Obviously she did not like the ring or she was trying to cut me out for competition because i  noticed afterwards she was selling similar rings for twice the price i was asking for my ring.  She cut me down with insults, lied about my ring and got her refund and then left a negative feedback i had to pay the return mail charges .  SO UNFAIR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am now considering using another way of selling my stuff because EBAY'S POLICY ALLOWS people to lie easy to get their money back on impulse buying and the seller is the one who gets hit the hardest. EBAY NEEDS TO REALIZE IF THEY LOSE THEIR SELLERS THEY LOSE THEIR BUYERS WHEN THEIR IS NO PROTECTION FOR BUYERS AGAINST THESE SITUATIONS EBAY HAS MORE COMPETITION NOW AND SELLERS WILL GO ELSEWHERE. SELLERS CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY THE FEES TO EBAY AND ALSO TAKE THESE UNFAIR HITS WHEN PEOPLE LIE JUST TO GET THEIR MONEY BACK.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: SELLERS UNFAIRLY BEING SCAMMED TO PAY REFUND MAIL CHARGES ON IMPULSIVE BUYERS WHO LIE !!

@goodcatch2 wrote:

What do you expect microscopic diamond chips to form a cluster set in sterling silver for $38.00 it was a fair price which sold for a third of the orginal price when brought new.  I can see if they have paid a couple of hundred dollars for a diamond ring that wasnt described correctly.  I am not going to pay a jeweler $50.00 to appraise a ring thats selling for under a hundred dollars just not worth it, who in their right mind is going to do this.

Many of us are agreeing and sympathizing with you and then you turn around and berate us? I said some sellers buy to resell here and try to take advantage of those who are fairly new to selling, have minimal descriptions and pictures that are fuzzy - which fits your situation. They buy low thinking they can turn a quick profit - unfortunately - once they receive the item - they realize that it's not the quality they were hoping it was and ask to return it. No where am I asking you or telling you to get an appraisal for the jewelry.

Message 31 of 43
latest reply

Re: SELLERS UNFAIRLY BEING SCAMMED TO PAY REFUND MAIL CHARGES ON IMPULSIVE BUYERS WHO LIE !!

@goodcatch2 wrote:

This ring wasnt purchased with grading it's a sterling silver ring with microscopic diamond chips, what jewler is going to put flawless diamonds in a sterling silver ring ? Being realistic!

So why did you list the original listing as having VS1 diamonds?  You can't put that info in the listing and not expect your buyer to want a return.

Message 32 of 43
latest reply

Sorry you are having a rough way to go. Pictures of items especially diamonds are very very hard to do. The color and clarity of the diamonds are hard to see in any photo on the internet. It is only until the person actually receives the item that they can really see what they look like. If you were a jeweler and a gemologist you could grade them and then show a certificate with the ring as to the quality of the diamonds. Even then, some people just do not like something for whatever reason. In cases like that yu do not fight these buyers over a return, you simply reply return for refund, then you re list at a higher price if you want to re coup the shipping fees.  I am certain someone  else would enjoy getting that ring at the affordable price you listed it for.

Message 33 of 43
latest reply

No. not cost effective for an appraisal for sure at the price this seller offered this ring. You got a picky buyer. Someone else would have loved this deal. Chin Up.

Message 34 of 43
latest reply

Go get em girl. That ring is someone else's treasure for sure. 

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

I looked up VS1 and it indicated imperfections. I make it a point to remove the grading  and clarity from now on because I am not a jeweler and this ring wasnt graded when purchased. Still the buyer had eyes and saw the pictures she also saw i had lots of watchers so she wanted to grab up the sale. Karma has a way of catching up with people like her and it didnt take long to work its wonders. 

Message 36 of 43
latest reply

I am having the same problem I have been selling on ebay for 18 years. I have been a powerseller for quite sometime now. jumping through Ebays hoops, offering free shipping and shipping withen 24 hours. i have maintained a 100% Feedback rating, Ebay has changed recently to cater to the big box stores and the buyer is always right.  Even the big box store have moved away from the customers is always right.  I have love ebay for so lone because the little guy can make a little extra cash.  I avoid any big box sellers like target and amazon and try to buy from people like me. I sell on ebay to be able to stay at home with my special needs daughter and my other 7 children. I have learned to cover my own but over the years by offering several photos of each item, every angle and also photos of the tags. I provide more measurements then any stores web site would, but it just is not enough any more, with ebay's new no hassle free return policy they want everyone to have will shut us small business sellers down. the latest issue is a buyer wanted to return an item 13 days after receiving it in the mail saying the item was not new and the size tag was faded and falling off. mind you the item they bought and I sent them was new. in the listing i provided photos of every angle and the size tag . ebay still approved it even after I explained the issue with the return. After talking to ebay on the phone it is clear they are catering to the big box and the customer more then the seller. I explained that i will not be taken advantage buy the buyer and them trying to return a different item.  the Ebay lady i talked to sounded more like a recording stating over and over again about how Ebay wants to cater to the buyer and make sure they return to buy more.  I told her if I waked in the a big box store and tried to return a different used item in place of the new item I just bought I would be laughed at.  I was told I could open a appeal after the item is returned. I did let ebay know
 I would be making more money for them then that customer will.  Ebay needs to find the balance between keeping customers and sellers happy. If ebay only is trying to keep the buyers happy they are going to loose a lot of sellers.

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

She didn't agree with you about the ring. She left you mean feedback. You responded with a mean follow up further soiling your own feedback page. The feedback makes you look like you deserve each other. If you're going to invoke karma remember it goes both ways. 

You could have responded in a way to reassure future buyers but you took the low road and retaliated with BEWARE and a bunch of capitals. Don't do this if it ever happens again. You confirmed what she said right there in front of everyone.

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

And on buyers who lie and cheat the system, sending back damaged items, I have been selling 16 years, the only scammers I have ever seen ( 3 in all, all this past month/ becuase of Ebays new AUTOMATIC REFUND POLICY).

I wrote this moments ago to Ebay refunding a gold scrapper after they damaged a genuine CHANEL pendant which I clear as day stated it was gold plated and rare, taking a huge loss , the buyer sent back acis tested and scrapped it all up/ so inresponse to Ebays decision to give her a full refund I commented to them with this            >I am 100% in total disagreement ! The buyer is a gold scraper. You never took the time to obviously read her messages in the return reasons ! The buyer purchased the only 2 authentic CHANEL gold plated pendants I had, and they are rare ! She took one and acid tested it and scrapped the sides all up. I can not sell that one, the other one I relisted. Your NEW policy totally degrades the system. And it unethically allows liars and cheaters to continue to take advantage of your NEW SYSTEM. Where is the sellers protection. So because of Ebay I am now out of a product and money. I recieved a damaged product back, in original pictures you can see not one thing was wrong w pendant ! The buyer repeatedly lied on her statements plain as day, but some how you used nano tachnoogy, not humans to look over the notes she wrote. This makes Ebay look incredibly naive and incompetant, in a court of law, the buyer wouldof lost this case based on her repatative lies and her dirty hands.

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

Hi I feel the same way. I am wondering have you found any other avenues for a seller who does not get abused by the sytem? 

Starting an ECOMMERCE store cuts out the middle man. If you use Paypal for payment system, they are at least more fair then Ebay when it comes to sellers and buyers who lie and chat the system.

Message 40 of 43
latest reply

You are correct. As of July 2018, Ebay now have implemented an AUTOMATIC SYSTEM for refunds to buyers. No matter how many lies a buyer produces, the new system is automated to give them a refund asap, as soon as tracking shows it had been returned. And what is worse for the seller is this...even if your policy says no returns it DOES NOT matter ! And is actually worse for the seller to have a no returns policy, Ebay has monopolized and rigged the whole refund system in the buyers favor. Lets say you do not accept returns, now what they have done is allow refunds based on buyers lies ( not authentic, damaged_of course after they damage it_not as described, ect) NOW you the BUYER GETS taken advantage of totally, you get NOTHING, I was told if I had accepted returns on my policy I would AUTOMATICALLY get at least 50% back...check it out...it is their newest policy for refunds and returns...no refund policy..you get nothing back..if you have a refund polict that accepts refunds back they have a new scale system that allows you anywhere from 10-50% back as a buyer....this is just soo ethically wrong..and do not even get me started on the whole charging 10% on shipping !

Message 41 of 43
latest reply

@goodcatch2 wrote:

Since EBAY gurarantee's customer satisfaction, this opens to door for people to easily get their refunds and all they have to do is LIE and ebay overlooks the lie and charges the shipping fees to the seller. 

This is ridiculous !!!  Here is my story. I recently lost my job last year still unemployed so now forced to sell all my jewelry I have brought over the years to keep my home for my kids. I dont have a husband or a significant other and no other means of income, I have been applying for jobs for months with application after application but still have not found another job.  I listed a ring for sale with diamonds at half of the orginal purchase price. There were many watchers for the ring, one person made an offer and i counter offered it but then they came back asking me to take off an additional $ 2.00 on a diamond ring, as ridiculous as it was i agreed. This person had over 6500 in sales and buys with a 100% rating so i agreed even though i thought it was a very trivial request.  She saw the pictures which were magnified more than 10 times but asked for a refund based on the item was not received as not described. She said the diamonds were the bottom of the barrel  and basically claimed my ring was ugly. Never once asked in the emails anything about the color or  any concerns she might have before the sale in both emails for haggling the price down she could have easily asked any concerns. Obviously she did not like the ring or she was trying to cut me out for competition because i  noticed afterwards she was selling similar rings for twice the price i was asking for my ring.  She cut me down with insults, lied about my ring and got her refund and then left a negative feedback i had to pay the return mail charges .  SO UNFAIR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am now considering using another way of selling my stuff because EBAY'S POLICY ALLOWS people to lie easy to get their money back on impulse buying and the seller is the one who gets hit the hardest. EBAY NEEDS TO REALIZE IF THEY LOSE THEIR SELLERS THEY LOSE THEIR BUYERS WHEN THEIR IS NO PROTECTION FOR BUYERS AGAINST THESE SITUATIONS EBAY HAS MORE COMPETITION NOW AND SELLERS WILL GO ELSEWHERE. SELLERS CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY THE FEES TO EBAY AND ALSO TAKE THESE UNFAIR HITS WHEN PEOPLE LIE JUST TO GET THEIR MONEY BACK.

I'm sorry this happened . I might suggest that from now on  you  probably should sell expensive items through local pick up only . It may take a little while longer to sell  but it would help to eliminate these types of problems . Tulips 

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

We are so sorry this happened to you.  Your are correct these new policys stinkand are only geared to help scammers.  There is no seller protection and it makes it dangerous to sell jewelry here.  We sell a lot of jewelry on ebay and have been scammed plenty.  If you ever have any questions that may help we will be glad to help anytime.  You can find us on the boards or just send a text. We have got to find a way to get some seller protection guys so good people can use this site to help thier family instead of scammers.  Best regards

Message 43 of 43
latest reply