cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous that I have to wait 7 days to leave a Neg or Neutral for a seller

If a seller cancels for out of stock (aka didn't get enough $ for auction in this case), buyers should not have to wait 7 days to be able to leave a neutral or negative.

I might have left a neutral, but now that I have to stew about it for a week, she'll probably get a well deserved negative.

I bid 2x on this auction just in case I wouldn't be online when it ended, but I was online and paid right away. I really wanted these items.

If ANY seller cancels for out of stock, buyers should be able to post negative feedback without having to wait 7 days.

Am I off base on this? Why make the buyer wait?

Message 1 of 103
latest reply
102 REPLIES 102

Madison: I tried to send you a private message but you don't accept private messages from stalkers like me. 

I just wanted to say ... i love some of your responses! 

Have a great weekend everyone!  😃

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 31 of 103
latest reply

Maybe, you are angry because you have to wait 7 days to endorse your hate.

Let me ask you this; what happens after your initial gratification/high of leaving this seller a negative? Are you still going to be riding high tonight/tomorrow, or will the initial rush dissipate?

Someone once said to me " a pity party is only 5 minutes".

Message 32 of 103
latest reply

As far as giving feedback like that to rate a seller, I feel a neg/neutral for this happening is warranted far more than some reasons like an item arriving late...

Did they use the proper reason (out of stock) to cancel the transaction?

Message 33 of 103
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Madison: I tried to send you a private message but you don't accept private messages from stalkers like me. 

I just wanted to say ... i love some of your responses! 

Have a great weekend everyone!  😃

Ditto for me. Some, not all Smiley Very Happy

Message 34 of 103
latest reply

The seller didn't wait 3 weeks to refund you......

They sent you a refund and told you that they could not find the item. Get over it.

It seems that all too often on eBay, the people who get genuinely harmed move on. I have screwed up. I've had things take forever to be delivered. I had a buyer buy an item and it never scanned anywhere. A week later she wanted to know where it was. I explained that items do not always get scanned in. She flat out called me a liar. The next day it showed a scan for arriving at the destination facility, leaving the facility, arrival at unit, out for deliver and finally delivered. All for a parcel post item.

I didn't get a neg. 

Had an item take 2 weeks. Reading the buyer's feedback left he leaves about 50 / 50 neg vs positive. I was convinced I'd get a neg. One never came.

I got a buyer that wanted me to email the code off a gift card. I refused. He kept insisting and told me he would refuse it when it got there. I cancelled the transaction. He tried to leave me a neg, but he couldn't since it had been 2 days. On day 7 I got that neg.

In fact, all the negs and the neutral I got were from petty buyers. It seems they are the ones that leave bad feedback. The item was 1 day late? NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!!

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 35 of 103
latest reply

Check out my neutral. He was mad that I cancelled his item without contacting him. He left me a bad feedback without contacting me.........

I found out it had been cancelled only from his feedback.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 36 of 103
latest reply

@vintagequeennyc wrote:

Wow. You come across as vindictive and petty. People make mistakes. Just because a seller only has a ‘few dozen items’ listed doesn’t mean they’re trying to scam you. You have no idea what other responsibilities this person has in their life or what they may have going on that caused them to space out and not realize they no longer had this item. 

Buyers like you are what’s making eBay unbearable for sellers. I’ve ordered online from major retailers and had my order cancelled after I paid because an item was out of stock. IT HAPPENS. You’d have no option to leave those businesses ‘negative’ feedback but here you wield it as a weapon of destruction and pettiness. It’s that mentality among buyers that festers here and has become an infection. 

Seriously. Just get over it. I am sure that if you had made the same mistake as the seller you would hope for some level of gracefulness from the buyer. At the end of the day, it’s just STUFF. You didn’t lose any money. Maybe you were inconvenienced a little but certainly not worth this level of vitriol. 

I think you're wrong. I'm one of the most easy going buyers (and sellers) you'd ever come across.

Communication is part of the transaction. Good customer service always ends with positive feedback from me even if the transaction has gone awry for whatever reason. The feedback I've left reflects that fact. And star dinging back when that was a thing? Never. I leave five stars or none at all. 

I've actually told sellers to process cancellations as "buyer requested" when they messaged me ahead of time. It has happened a few times, and I've left them glowing positive feedback. Yes, we're all human. But there's that whole communication thing this time.

That said, personally, I would make an effort to communicate with the buyer before refunding. As a seller, I take my cues from my own buyer expectations. But I sure don't look at a negative as the end of the world, or as you said, "a weapon of destruction." 

Message 37 of 103
latest reply

Hey everyone, these exchanges are pretty heated and not very friendly. The seller was in the wrong here. Canceling the transaction, for whatever reason, is very bad form and against policy. Sellers who practice this give us all a bad name.

This OP did not come across as entitled or vindictive from my perspective. It is an outrage when sellers summarily cancel a transaction. Ebay and sellers lose buyers because of it, which is why doing this gives the seller a defect. And that is appropriate. 

So piling on the OP solves something, or adds something to the conversation? There is plenty of room on these forums for differing opinions. But there should be no room for disrespect.

Message 38 of 103
latest reply

@my_boston_baked_beans wrote:

Did you ever think that the seller is truthful, and you are the one OVER REACTING. Did you even try to find out if your seller's stock will be replenished, and your order fulled upon request? Did you ever think your accusations are totally incorrect and uncalled for?

Try to communicate with your seller for a mutual resolve rather a HATE session....and yes, I am over 21..

Just saying:)

Yes.

Not possible for the exact same items to end up in a lot.

Yes.

I think the onus is on the seller to initiate the customer service/support when they've made an error. I have no intention of getting involved in any "hate sessions". Smiley Surprised

Message 39 of 103
latest reply

So...if you were able to leave a nice, nasty, negative immediately would we be having this conversation?

Therefore, is the crux of your problem, the fact your can't neg this buyer immediately?

You sound more concerned about leaving a negative than 'your' ability to resolve differences with your buyer? Have you tried to communicate with your buyer as apposed to this board?

You might get more headway with sugar than salt in the wound!

Message 40 of 103
latest reply

@my_boston_baked_beans wrote:

Maybe, you are angry because you have to wait 7 days to endorse your hate.

Let me ask you this; what happens after your initial gratification/high of leaving this seller a negative? Are you still going to be riding high tonight/tomorrow, or will the initial rush dissipate?

Someone once said to me " a pity party is only 5 minutes".

I don't get any highs from leaving less than positive feedback. I get my highs from taking the time to find awesome items, paying for them, and then receiving them. 

Message 41 of 103
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

As far as giving feedback like that to rate a seller, I feel a neg/neutral for this happening is warranted far more than some reasons like an item arriving late...

Did they use the proper reason (out of stock) to cancel the transaction?

I've never negged for arriving late. I've never dinged a single shipping star (or any star) for that matter. For as much buying as I do, I've left very few non-positives over 22 years.

I assume it was out of stock because I wasn't asked to agree to anything.  Is there a way to tell from the buyer's side?

Message 42 of 103
latest reply

You're attributing all of the bad buyer behavior that you've encountered to me. I am not those buyers. 

Message 43 of 103
latest reply

Most Unpaid Item Disputes seem to be for Auctions. Another reason why the format is dying here and across all online site.

Feedback does not affect eBay's assessment of the seller's account.

The delay is a perk for powersellers, giving both buyer and seller enough time to work out the problem. 

Many sellers post items to multiple sites, and it is definitely a job to keep all the accounts straight when an item sells on one and has to be removed from the others promptly.

Message 44 of 103
latest reply

Sorry to see a rash on non-positive feedback on your account. That's a rough category to sell in. 

Message 45 of 103
latest reply