cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relist Failure

Good day Ebay brain trust,

Over the last month I had a run of buyer who purchased items and then within 24 hours emailed me saying they wanted to cancel their purchase. In case anyone is curious about the statistical breakdown - 2 just said please cancel, 3 said their kid "accidently" purchased the item, 1 said they found a cheaper price, 1 said they had cancer and couldn't have any expenses right now. I agreed to cancel each of these orders upon their request and selected the relist option. Today I went to see if any of them had watchers and found that none of them were relisted. When I looked at the relist information each one of them said relist failed. These items had been originally listed at different times, some several months ago, others less than 24 hours before purchase. Any idea why this is happening. We have a lot of listings and if I hadn't doubled checked I would have just assumed they were active and they would have just been sitting in my storage unit until the heat death of the universe. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Relist Failure

So you are having trouble with the relist canceled listings????

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

There are many glitches will ebay.  What I do, is to relist, and make sure that the item is listed again, and is showing on my listings.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Try sell similar instead of the relist features, never fails.  If you want to minimized canceled orders make sure require immediate payment is selected in the listing options.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Immediate payment is always selected. They pay and then they want to cancel about 24 hours later for refund. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I use the 'out of stock' feature even if there is only 1 item listed.

This feature is good bc it keeps the listing up for the seller to see but is invisible to buyers once that item sells.

It will just show zero available, then if someone cancels or returns the item, we can just edit the listing to put the 1 back on as available.

I think those listings auto re list 3x b4 ending on their own. They still count toward our allotted listing amounts.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Same problem , seeing this for long time now. Sometimes I don't even have an option at cancelation to relist, now I always have to check the status to avoid either double listings or unlisted items. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

To solve your immediate problem with relisting, use "Sell Similar" instead.

The only possibly legitimate excuse you detailed for a buyer asking for a cancellation (although still suspect) is that the kid "accidentally" purchased it. That happened to me years ago with my teenage son, after which I changed my eBay password and saddled him with a week's grounding for lying to me when he initially denied it but later confessed.

I think another reason why there's a run on so many immediate buyer cancellations these days is that they could be very smart scam buyers, hoping you will ship the item before they cancel. Since you also don't offer returns, they get the item and manipulate the timing so they can get their money back as well. That way they get a free item, courtesy of you, eBay, and even cc chargebacks months down the road. It happens a lot more than one would think.

You don't accept returns on your items, so eBay translates that into the buyer getting to keep the item in addition to getting a refund when they open an INAD case... change it on your listings, so that at least you have a better chance of getting the item back if you run into a problem with a buyer or scammer.

Ebay gives sellers a small fee break on one-day shipping, and I think that's a mistake because of shipping scams. I recently changed all my shipping times away from one-day shipping because of this buyer cancellation problem becoming more common.

I hope this helps...

Cheers, Duffy 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply