cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding new Seller protection update effective Nov 1, 2022

Ebay sent a email today stating

"Effective November 1, 2022, we will update how we define evidence of successful delivery for Authenticity Guarantee transactions in our eBay Money Back Guarantee program and Payment dispute seller protections.

You’re required to use a tracked shipping service showing the delivery status to the authenticator’s address in order to qualify for “Item not received” protection. Previously, we looked for evidence showing at least the city or zip code of the address, however now we will look for evidence of shipment to the full address."

As UPS, Fedex and USPS will only display city and zip code on their online tracking. How do we show the shipment is been delivered to the full address? As this will affect all Payment Dispute Seller Protections cases. 

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: Regarding new Seller protection update effective Nov 1, 2022

what a farce this will be for scammers. I get lots off my neighbor's mail by mistake all the time 

Message 61 of 75
latest reply

Everytime eBay "announces" new seller protections they don't amount to anything.

Or they amount to more money in eBay's pockets. I cannot see eBay providing the FedEx label at "no cost" to the seller. Something is amiss here. 

Message 62 of 75
latest reply

This change is about controlling the cost to eBay. If you can not prove it was received as per the new requirements then there is no Seller Protection.

eBay knew about the same zip code scam but now that it has affected them they put a rule in place to better protect their self.

It would be nice if they would implement this rule for all returns and not just the ones that would cost eBay money.

Message 63 of 75
latest reply

@rr15-26 wrote:

@valueaddedresource  @a_c_green 

cc: 

Thank you for reaching out to eBay. We are working on a response to your questions and will get back to you shortly.  We apologize for the delay.

A detailed response will be provided shortly, but in the meantime -

eBay may request you to provide additional evidence such as Proof of shipment, if we cannot automatically determine that the item was delivered to the authenticator.

Proof of shipment is a Shipping label that provides date when the item was shipped and the address item is being shipped to.

Thanks

Rajee

Thanks Rajee  - I appreciate the response!

I'm assuming you're an eBay employee? If so sheila@ebay can you get @rr15-26's account tagged as eBay staff please?

Message 64 of 75
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Everytime eBay "announces" new seller protections they don't amount to anything.

Or they amount to more money in eBay's pockets. I cannot see eBay providing the FedEx label at "no cost" to the seller. Something is amiss here. 

@dbfolks166mt remember, just because it's "at no cost to the seller" doesn't mean eBay isn't making money.  😉 

Buyers are paying eBay $14.95 for shipping. Given eBay's negotiating power, I think it's very safe to say actual shipping charges are going to be lower than that in the vast majority of shipments.

Side note - I've been in positions at relatively large but *much* smaller than eBay companies where I was the one negotiating rate contracts with FedEx and UPS, so I have some idea of what's in the realm of possibility here.

I'm fairly confident in saying eBay stands to make out more than alright in this deal.

Message 65 of 75
latest reply

cc: 

Thank you for reaching out to eBay. We are working on a response to your questions and will get back to you shortly.  We apologize for the delay.

A detailed response will be provided shortly, but in the meantime -

eBay may request you to provide additional evidence such as Proof of shipment, if we cannot automatically determine that the item was delivered to the authenticator.

Proof of shipment is a Shipping label that provides date when the item was shipped and the address item is being shipped to.

Thanks

Rajee

I have never known eBay to try and  "automatically determine" that the item was delivered to the seller. Every INR case that gets opened requires the seller to upload the tracking and delivery information despite the fact that eBay has access to that information through the tracking information in the order. Anyone with the tracking information can pull up the tracking history and delivery confirmation for any of the major integrated carriers: USPS, FedEx and UPS. 

Message 66 of 75
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

This change is about controlling the cost to eBay. If you can not prove it was received as per the new requirements then there is no Seller Protection.

eBay knew about the same zip code scam but now that it has affected them they put a rule in place to better protect their self.

It would be nice if they would implement this rule for all returns and not just the ones that would cost eBay money.

@stephenmorgan  bingo! It's my belief this is much more about protecting eBay than about protecting sellers - they've known about the same zip code scam for years and are trying to mitigate their own losses on it.

Message 67 of 75
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Side note - I've been in positions at relatively large but *much* smaller than eBay companies where I was the one negotiating rate contracts with FedEx and UPS, so I have some idea of what's in the realm of possibility here.

I'm fairly confident in saying eBay stands to make out more than alright in this deal.

I worked for a company that in 2002 had 400 offices scattered across the US.  In my office there were at least two each UPS 2nd Day Delivery going 1900 miles to corporate.  Cost was $3.50 for each.  I recall equipment that weighed 55 pounds that we would receive on a regular basis and the UPS shipping was $13 but for myself as an individual the cost was near $50.  

Message 68 of 75
latest reply

@rr15-26 wrote:

@rr15-26 : Hi Rajee, thanks for your reply to me and @valueaddedresource (and I'm going to assume that you are actually an eBay employee or contractor, and that sheila@ebay will be getting your posts properly tagged as such in future).

@rr15-26 wrote:

eBay may request you to provide additional evidence such as Proof of shipment, if we cannot automatically determine that the item was delivered to the authenticator.

Okay, a couple of points to reiterate here:

1. Proof of shipment is easy, especially if the label was generated through eBay, since you would already have access to all that information as part of the transaction details associated with the sale. (It's also assembled into a confirmation email sent to the seller's email account.) Granted, the record-keeping is not perfect (for example, I have reported that shipments I have upgraded from First Class Package to Priority Mail are still logged as FCP rather than PM, even when the tracking number is shown by USPS.com to be a Priority package), but it does record the address used for the label.

The issue here is not where it was aimed (i.e. the authenticators' address), but where it went (i.e. where it was eventually delivered). If it landed somewhere else instead, but still within the City and ZIP of the original address, we would have no way of determining that.

2. Scammers doing a trinket-shipment fraud (mailing some kind of placeholder package to a different address within the destination ZIP code) can still make use of a genuine label at the outset. All they need to do is replace the original transaction address on the label with a printed replacement showing someplace else (though local to the original recipient).

Remember that a tracking number follows a shipment; it does not guide it, and so the original label presented by a scamming shipper might not represent what was actually showing on the package at shipping time. The Accepting post office does not verify the address on the label, only whether the pre-paid on-line label is correct for the package. I have seen a fraudulently manipulated shipping label first-hand, and it's not hard to produce.

So if eBay plans to insist that sellers prove actual delivery to the authenticators, it seems like that's going to require a level of proof that does not currently exist. We can already prove shipment well enough, but that does not seem to be what eBay is really looking for here.

Message 69 of 75
latest reply

Says you. I can’t tell you how many boxes of garbage I’ve received. When I check feedback, I realize it’s a pattern. Bad sellers gamble that the buyers don’t know the ropes.

Message 70 of 75
latest reply

Three days away, and none of the eBay team can answer a SIMPLE question.

Here is how I would read that:

You have NO protection because you can't provide information we deem as proof for your claim. 

Just another reason WHY getting tangled up in these programs, like "authenticated" items, is a ticking time bomb. This was a simple question that should have been answered in a day or two, a MONTH ago. Still no direct answer, just repeating the announcement. Lol. Good luck to you sellers. If you don't protect YOU, I would not hold my breath that eBay will. This is why I limit exactly what I will sell and to where. No one is looking out for me, other than ME. 

Message 71 of 75
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

Still no direct answer, just repeating the announcement. Lol. Good luck to you sellers. 

Well, can you imagine how this will work if you did have an issue and having to deal with customer service?

I do not have anything worthy of going to one of the authenticators but if I did I would send it signature required.  

Message 72 of 75
latest reply

Hi @a_c_green @valueaddedresource and others! We have an update from the Sneaker Team and they wanted the following to share the following:

"We would like to provide some clarification about this change.  Keep in mind this change only applies to Authenticity Guarantee eligible items.

We provide free labels on sneakers that are eligible for Authenticity Guarantee so sellers can ship to the authenticator for free. If you use one of eBay’s free shipping labels  we'll automatically provide you with loss and damage protections.  No additional purchase of signature confirmation or insurance required to receive these protections. 

For other Authenticity Guarantee eligible items, when shipping to our authenticator please ensure you are doing the following: 

• Use a tracked service from one of the integrated carrier
  • Upload valid tracking to eBay within your stated handling time
  • Use signature confirmation, on orders with a total cost of $750 or more

Once authenticated, the shipping from the authenticator to the buyer becomes eBay's responsibility and we'll resolve any shipping related issues.

In the unlikely event that our authenticator doesn't receive the item we may ask for additional details such as one of the following:

• A carrier receipt or image of the label that clearly shows the address the item was shipped to
  • Documentation that you were denied a lost-in-transit insurance claim because the carrier can confirm the item was delivered to the authenticator’s address"
Devon,
eBay
Message 73 of 75
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

Hi @a_c_green @valueaddedresource and others! We have an update from the Sneaker Team and they wanted the following to share the following:

"We would like to provide some clarification about this change.  Keep in mind this change only applies to Authenticity Guarantee eligible items.

We provide free labels on sneakers that are eligible for Authenticity Guarantee so sellers can ship to the authenticator for free. If you use one of eBay’s free shipping labels  we'll automatically provide you with loss and damage protections.  No additional purchase of signature confirmation or insurance required to receive these protections. 

For other Authenticity Guarantee eligible items, when shipping to our authenticator please ensure you are doing the following: 

• Use a tracked service from one of the integrated carrier
  • Upload valid tracking to eBay within your stated handling time
  • Use signature confirmation, on orders with a total cost of $750 or more

Once authenticated, the shipping from the authenticator to the buyer becomes eBay's responsibility and we'll resolve any shipping related issues.

In the unlikely event that our authenticator doesn't receive the item we may ask for additional details such as one of the following:

• A carrier receipt or image of the label that clearly shows the address the item was shipped to
  • Documentation that you were denied a lost-in-transit insurance claim because the carrier can confirm the item was delivered to the authenticator’s address"

Thanks devon@ebay !

Message 74 of 75
latest reply

@a_c_green Thank you for doing your part. Yes, I do work for eBay and manage some of these seller protection policies. Thank you for highlighting the details.  

Devon has posted further clarification on the requirements today. If you have additional questions or if you were not protected on a dispute, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best Regards,

Rajee

Message 75 of 75
latest reply