cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed then Ignored

I sold an item to someone who then complained that what I sent had mold on it (it didn't). He even sent a photo that I didn't see any mold in. So I agree to a full refund after he returns the item. 

Somehow he gets his full refund and send me a box with dead vhs batteries, so I promptly report it to ebay. It's now been over 2 weeks and not a peep from ebay. I tried to rereport the issue and it said, "you have already reported this problem, we are looking into it." Why would they not follow up? Why completely ignore the matter? 

Still crickets from ebay. So this is how selling on ebay is now? Get blatantly scammed and ebay makes zero effort to sort the situation out. Buyers can simply rip off and scam sellers with impunity. 

Needless to say I'm finished selling. Absolutely zero safeguards against scammers and thieves.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Scammed then Ignored

There are potential risks with selling online. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Scammed then Ignored

@frigidrecords wrote:

I sold an item to someone who then complained that what I sent had mold on it (it didn't). He even sent a photo that I didn't see any mold in. So I agree to a full refund after he returns the item. 

Somehow he gets his full refund and send me a box with dead vhs batteries, so I promptly report it to ebay. It's now been over 2 weeks and not a peep from ebay. I tried to rereport the issue and it said, "you have already reported this problem, we are looking into it." Why would they not follow up? Why completely ignore the matter? 

Still crickets from ebay. So this is how selling on ebay is now? Get blatantly scammed and ebay makes zero effort to sort the situation out. Buyers can simply rip off and scam sellers with impunity. 

Needless to say I'm finished selling. Absolutely zero safeguards against scammers and thieves.

Yep, there are zero safeguards against scammers and Ebay will do nothing and do no investigation because it ultimately revolves around your word against the buyer's word and they almost always default to the buyer.  One must anticipate this with slightly higher margins to cover these anticipated losses.  Also best to avoid selling the well known scam bait items like electronics and gaming equipment, all best sold locally.

But most of your items are lower value items and not scam bait so no need to stop selling, just take the small loss and move on.  I mean it is not like you lost hundreds of dollars selling an iPhone to a scammer.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply