cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received strange offer on item, scam?

Hello, I posted an antique book with a starting bid of $100 yesterday and today I received an offer of $350. I have attached a screenshot of the message I received from the potential buyer, I'm a little worried that this could be a scam considering that I am new to eBay. The buyer also created the account yesterday. 

IMG_2681 2.jpg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Received strange offer on item, scam?

SCAM !!!!  WILL SEND YOU A FAKE PAYMENT RECIEPT !!!!  

ADD TO BLOCK BUYER LIST AND MOVE ON

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Also,  I recommend you do not ship an expensive book by media mail.  

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

oh, yes.........absolutely a scam........  Key is the "texting"..........you will get a fake email that says the item is paid for.......they will be trying to fool you into shipping.........  Good catch.....

amazing this is going on now with books.......

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Thank you! This is a bummer, I had gotten my hopes up but I'm glad that I caught it before it was too late. Also, the user is no longer registered. 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Thank you for the advice, I have changed it. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Yeah. this is a scammer. You don't need to focus on these emails. Only see who's emails which you order something.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

SCAM.  As a new seller with high value listings you will attract a lot of scammers.  I suggest you only list low, say under 25.00 items until you build up some feedback.  Most legit buyers won't bid much on new unproven sellers anyway.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

A message that says "I am interested in your item, kindly text me", an offer greater than your buy it now price, or a request for a gift card is generally the start of a scam where the scammer winds up sending a phony PayPal email that makes it look like the seller has received a payment when none has actually been received. Scammers like to target new sellers, particularly those selling expensive items.

Sending contact information (text or email) prior to a transaction is a violation of eBay policy; this policy is designed to protect honest buyers and sellers from this sort of thing, and to prevent off-eBay sales.

Never buy a gift card for anyone unless you are giving a gift.

As a seller you should always check your PayPal account directly (not following a link in an email) to see if you have actually been paid prior to shipping. If an actual buyer does not send an actual payment, file an unpaid item dispute and go through that process to get your fees back and to give the "buyer" a strike -- and set your buying requirement to reject bids from users with two or more strikes.

In many cases eBay will remove the scammer's account quickly, but the scammer will just create a new one or hijack an old one and continue sending scam offers and messages. Sellers must remain wary of any user that wants the seller to violate eBay policy.

You can avoid many common scams by listing your item for a fixed price with immediate payment required and by not accepting any offers. That way the buyer must complete checkout and actually pay in order to proceed.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@Glasvezel behangen

mu cousin also faces a scam. and they are demanding a lot of money. that's why i also don't seen such emails. just like you said.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Either a scam or someone trying to work an off-site deal.  Either way you don't want to be roped into it.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

As a new seller, there is a target on your back and all of the scammers are out trying to figure out the best way to try to steal from you.

That was # 1.  Expect more.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Red Flag. This has scam written all over it. This is a buyer I would add to my BBL, delete the messages and move on. Nobody offers $350 for something you have listed for $100. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@woodstockings wrote:

Thank you! This is a bummer, I had gotten my hopes up but I'm glad that I caught it before it was too late. Also, the user is no longer registered. 

Your instincts are good!   Never communicate in any way except through the eBay messaging system. 

=

=

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

BRAZEN SCAMMER. For payment, means, I will send you a fake payment when you reply to this message and do a transaction off ebay.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply